Evora Owners - What about Snow Tires? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Evora Owners - What about Snow Tires?

Can someone who has an Evora tell me what the owner's manual says about snow tires? With my Elan, it's a different wheel size plus different tire size. With my Elise, it's a different tire size on the same wheels.

Thanks!
hegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Excerpt from manual pg. 134 (hand typed, sorry for any typos):

Winter Tires
If the car is to be used in very cold climates, or drven on snow covered roads, it is recommended to fit a complete vehicle set of winter tires developed specficially for such conditions. For the Evora, Lotus recommends the use of Yokohama W.drive V-902 winter tires in sizes specified in 'Technical Data'.
Wear indicators are moulded into the bottom of the tread grooves at intervals around the tire, indicated by small pointers on the outer tread blocks. In order that these tires maintain their design performance on snow covered roads, the minimum tread depth is desginated as 4mm, which is reflected in the height of a secondary set of wear indicators. Ensure the tires are replaced when this level of wear is reached.

{WARNING}
* Winter tires are optimsed for use on snow covered roads. When used on roads free of snow, winter tires will produce different handling characteristiics and less gripp compared with regular tires.
* When winter tires are fitted, a maximum speed of 118mph (190km/h) must be observed.
* Yokohama W.drive V-902 tires are NOT suitable for studding.

Tire Chains
In extreme weather conditions, Lotus approves the fitment of RUD-matic DISC snow chains (Lotus part number A132G6004F), used only in conjunction with winter tires (see above) and fitted onlly on the rear wheels. Close attention should be paid to the fitting and tensioning insturctions supplied with the chains. The chains should be removed as soon as the road conditions allow.

pg. 171 (Technical Data)

Tyres
Type
Pirelli P-Zero

Size
front - 225/40ZR18
rear - 245/35ZR19

Pressure (cold)
front - 2.3 bar (33.5 psi)
rear - 2.5 bar (36 psi)
high loads
front - 2.8 bar (40.5 psi)
rear - 3.0 bar (43.5 psi)

Winter Tyres
Type
Yokohama W.drive V-902

Size
front - 215/40R18
rear - 235/35R19

Pressure (cold)
front - 2.3 bar (33.5 psi)
rear - 2.5 bar (36 psi)
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, thank you so much for typing all that out! Seriously, if you're ever in SLC, I'll buy you lunch.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hard to find those Yokohamas.... Might have to get another brand in that size.

For sake of posterity, I was able to find Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Serie II in the front and rear sizes at tirerack.com.

Last edited by hegg; 05-17-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
NP, it only took a few minutes
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Those Yokohamas must be another tire developed specifically for Lotus. According to Yokohama's web site, they do not have 215/40R18 or 235/35R19.

Yokohama Tire

Bummer. Maybe my dealer will be able to get them in from Lotus. At least I have 6 months to forget about it.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
@hegg

The Yokos exist, I have them on my Evora. But be carefull... they are a bit tricky. Its not the "usual" grip... but I drove throu the whole Swiss Winter without problems having the "physics" in mind. A.
ANUBIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the comment. I had the same experience with my Elise. It's completely and totally undrivable in the snow with the Yokohama summer tires. The Pirelli SnowSport tires (as specified by Lotus) significantly transform the car's drivability in the snow, but you still have to - as you say - keep physics in mind.

For anyone considering driving their Elise in the snow, the winter tires are NOT optional. Don't think "nyeh, that only applies to losers and idiots who don't know how to handle rear wheel drive". Summer tires just simply don't function in the snow. At all.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
hegg, I was in Northfinland for a driving/drifting course in February. No chance with summertires at all and with wintertires it diciplinizes your right foot totally.
For those who do not know the difference: Wintertires are completely different rubber mixtures (softer) and they are over the edge after 3 years (getting harder) and the profile is the other factor, with the lamellas you have a chance in the snow, but only a chance.
I even used chains (Trak, had the only fittable size) but this is not more fun, its just... coming home. A.
ANUBIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora