Evora Prices - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Evora Prices

Hey all - I know this is a touchy subject on any car, and hugely subjective - but going to dive into it anyhow.

I've been exploring Evoras and looking at prices, for sale ads, and reading a lot here. I see a lot of "The prices on the Evora have pretty much bottomed out". What I haven't quite seen is anyone indicate what they think that bottom is, or where they think prices should be. It seems pretty vague, and I see good 10-20k windows for very similar cars. I haven't quite been able to figure those windows out, why people think the different ends, etc.

So, the question I have is, especially for the people who say the prices are at the bottom: What price do you think that is, for various models/etc?

For given for sale ads, I'd be curious who thinks what is high versus what is low. Mileage for instance doesn't seem to have a huge impact. I see cars with 5k miles priced lower than cars with 20k miles. S models seem to command a premium beyond their original premium - when sold new it seems like it was just shy of 10k for the upgrade, now they seem to keep more like a 12-15k delta.

If you're willing to share with the public, it would also be really good to know what you paid for your Evora and when. I know most people don't ever want to admit what they paid for a car, but it is about the most useful thing in the world to people looking to get in.

So, let's hear it - or possibly hear silence if people don't want to touch this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Garage
I'm still relatively new here so I'm a bit curious about this also..

I probably did overpay on mine, but it seemed sort of close to what I expected for the year and packages.

Had about 12k miles on it when I got it. 2014 with several of packages (cant remember all of them off the top of my head) still has almost a year left on the Factory warranty since it was a dealer car for the first year of it's life. It was listed for 55k and I got it for 52k, bought from a dealership and not private sale. I got it about 2 months ago now

*EDIT*
Might be worth mentioning that the OG sticker had it listed for about 85k, new

Last edited by NichyNeato; 04-19-2017 at 07:03 AM.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

At 52K for a 2014 that still had warranty, from the prices I've seen, I don't think you overpaid at all, but maybe that's where I'm misreading this market. That's actually one of the more interesting things that I've seen, is that the price difference between a 2010-2011 and a 2013-2014 is almost non-existent. I think a similar 2011 to yours would probably have a 46-49k tag on it. That's one of the things that throws me off and leaves me in the "can't quite figure out the pricing". Especially on a car like this with the known niggles that have fairly simple dealer fixes, the warranty should be a pretty big $ add.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 AM

Garage
Yeah, I walked in hoping to pay as close to 50k as possible, so I was more or less happy. The warranty does probably add some value, but how much, I have no idea..

Considering the car is still under warranty and only 3yrs old, it has taken quite a hit of 30k from the new price. From what I gather, the used market on these seem fairly steady.

Its seriously an awesome car and i'd love to just keep it forever, so right now,the resale market doesn't mean a thing to me..
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM

So I just picked up my 2014 Evora S. 5k miles, Black pack, Navigation, back up cam, home link. Still has 1 year warranty left. immaculate condition for $58k. I got a phenomenal deal on mine.
hypaspazz likes this.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:48 AM

Prices (for the most part) for Evora S in U.S. seem to be low 50s to low 60s depending. However my local dealer (AutoEurope) has been selling some for (IMO) under market value. They had a few 13/14 S's with low miles a few weeks back in the high 40s. I found the pricing to be a bit crazy for a dealer, my only guess is they wanted quick flips on them because now they have a lower mile NA on there for high 40s.

I mean I know Eliges prices bottomed out and actually have been going up in U.S. This is probably because they are a more known and desirable car, plus the fact that no new Eliges are coming to the U.S. for a few more years. Evora does have a few things that I think we prevent it from falling too low. Its super rare and it looks exotic (to your average person). My guess is they will bottom out eventually and depreciation will slow to a crawl. However I have no idea what number. I would guess somewhere in lower 40s for S's and lower 30s for NA, but that would only be a guess. That still might be years away though.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
I think those in the market for an Evora have to consider the following:

- Price
- Availability
- Motivation (keep forever, or hope to resell at a later date)
- Locale (or willingness to travel/ship to get one)
- Specific color/configuration
- Dealer proximity (if needed/desired)

Based on those factors, you may find that you can find cheaper examples further away, or end up paying more than what you think is fair for the exact color/feature combo you're after, etc. It isn't as simple as stating all MYxx through MYxx are XX price, and all MYxx through MYxx are YY price, as these aren't Camrys and a dime a dozen. At any given time there's maybe 20-30 Evoras listed for sale on the internet across various sites, so if you're in the market for one, it's best to go through the list of what you're after, and what you can pay.

That being said, I paid 45 for mine last year, and it had 22k on the clock. I specifically did not want a low mileage early MY example; to me that indicates a garage queen, and while they usually look pristine and hold their value longer, may not have had any of the warranty work done. Luckily for me, my research paid off, and I had a full list of warranty work that had been done by the previous 2 owners.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:00 AM

That seems a reasonable estimation, I have seen few drop below 40, that seems to have been the hard stop for the early cars, mostly cause that is a screaming deal for that car. Having new cars available again does funny things to value, now that you can get a new car on a 6 year loan, the value is going to be limited for a used car to what the 3 year loan would be[IOW why would you pay more per month for a used car] Of course cash customers don't care. On the flip side, having new cars marketed and in the magazines keeps interest up for people wishing to move their older Evora.

All in all it reminds us that these cars are a pretty good deal, I mean look what a minivan costs these days...........
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:08 AM
craigyirush

exigegus raises a good question - what effect is the intro of the 400 going to have on S1 prices (if any)? Normally a new model depresses the price of the earlier cars/previous model.

I've been looking at used Evoras for the last year. Seems like $40K is the bottom for a decent early NA car (say a MY '11). Doesn't seem that IPS or MT makes a difference. A '14 S seem to be in the $60k range (advertised).

Maybe we need a 'what you paid for your Evora' thread?

Can someone remind me what the changes were in '12 (better shifter?).

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); 86 911 Targa (sold); 68 MGB (future vintage racer)
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentdr8 View Post

- Price
- Availability

Based on those factors, you may find that you can find cheaper examples further away, or end up paying more than what you think is fair for the exact color/feature combo you're after, etc. It isn't as simple as stating all MYxx through MYxx are XX price, and all MYxx through MYxx are YY price, as these aren't Camrys and a dime a dozen. At any given time there's maybe 20-30 Evoras listed for sale on the internet across various sites, so if you're in the market for one, it's best to go through the list of what you're after, and what you can pay.

That being said, I paid 45 for mine last year, and it had 22k on the clock. I specifically did not want a low mileage early MY example; to me that indicates a garage queen, and while they usually look pristine and hold their value longer, may not have had any of the warranty work done. Luckily for me, my research paid off, and I had a full list of warranty work that had been done by the previous 2 owners.
Kind of yes, kind of no. For the most part you're going to be able to ship a car just about anywhere point to point in the continental US for $1000 or so. So while regional differences will exist for various reasons, there's no reason to pay 8k up for the exact same car that's closer. You'd still be 7k better off to buy it far away and ship. I don't think price research on buying really has anything to do with keeping forever or not, and dealer proximity is probably not much of a motivation for anything but a 2014 (but maybe?). You are absolutely right about the color/configuration. I believe the IPS cost more originally, but they seem to resell at the same or slightly lower than manuals. Yellow, Black, Silver/Gray, and Green seem to be slightly lower in general, the uncommon Blue and Reds seeming to demand a premium.

Availability of course matters, but we're only talking about the Evora, so availability isn't really a factor that varies.

Mostly what I see NA models have a range of about 39-53, and S models have a range at about 52-60. The exceptions being the "special" configurations like the heritage/etc.

I think what I'm seeing there is that NA models under 43 are probably a deal, and that S models over 57 are probably over market. But, more data means better conclusions on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
That seems a reasonable estimation, I have seen few drop below 40, that seems to have been the hard stop for the early cars, mostly cause that is a screaming deal for that car. Having new cars available again does funny things to value, now that you can get a new car on a 6 year loan, the value is going to be limited for a used car to what the 3 year loan would be[IOW why would you pay more per month for a used car] Of course cash customers don't care. On the flip side, having new cars marketed and in the magazines keeps interest up for people wishing to move their older Evora.

All in all it reminds us that these cars are a pretty good deal, I mean look what a minivan costs these days...........
Yup, on the flip side, look what the new model NSX did to old NSX prices. Used to be you could grab a nice example of an NSX all day long at 35k or so, they're hard to touch now under 55k. Doesn't seem to be the same case here, which isn't terribly surprising.

There are still a lot of dealers/sellers holding out hope and a lot of 2010-2014 listed at >60k. Some still have "new" 2014s at 80+k. Very optimistic market view it seems.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:16 AM

I was kind of hoping the the introduction of the 400 it would at least slow down the depreciation of the Evora S models, but so far there has been no indication of that happening. My 13 'S has probably depreciated close to over 10K over the 1.5 years I have had it. I was hoping with the press the 400 was getting more people who knew nothing of the Evora would start looking into and considering them. Although I called the rarity a plus in my previous post, to some people it may actually be a negative because its hard to find the car you want anywhere close to you (not to mention limited dealers). I mean you look on AutoTrader for and Evora S in the U.S. and you really have very few options. I mean right now looking for an Evora S under $65K in the U.S. only 17 for sale in the whole country.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Expand your search, there's at least 30 2010-2014 Evora S for sale right now. In fact, if anyone likes Gray and is looking for a *potentially* screaming deal:

https://spokane.porschedealer.com/in...n+2011+1174397

I came across that one yesterday.
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
Expand your search, there's at least 30 2010-2014 Evora S for sale right now. In fact, if anyone likes Gray and is looking for a *potentially* screaming deal:

https://spokane.porschedealer.com/in...n+2011+1174397

I came across that one yesterday.
I bought it yesterday What did you do to your Evora today?
exigegus likes this.

2011 Evora S - Carbon Grey
2014 Chevy Volt (DD)
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_mr2 View Post
I bought it yesterday
Very nice, was it as advertised I assume then? They definitely under-priced it if there were no outstanding issues.

Hopefully that isn't a new trend for S prices, but I don't think it is.
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Garage
Quote:
I don't think price research on buying really has anything to do with keeping forever or not
It does in the sense that most people don't want to "overpay" for something they expect to appreciate (or at least not depreciate further) when it comes time to flip it. I don't know if the Evora has the same resale appeal like say a Ferrari does, but there are individuals who go into a purchase thinking they want this car now, and in 1/3/5 years they expect to get XX value out of it.

On the flipside, if you intend on keeping the vehicle indefinitely, does it matter that you overpay by a few grand? Obviously you'd still want the best price you can get at purchase time, but because the motivation is different, I think it weighs less on a decision.

post #16 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Garage
Quote:
It does in the sense that most people don't want to "overpay" for something they expect to appreciate (or at least not depreciate further) when it comes time to flip it. I don't know if the Evora has the same resale appeal like say a Ferrari does, but there are individuals who go into a purchase thinking they want this car now, and in 1/3/5 years they expect to get XX value out of it.

On the flipside, if you intend on keeping the vehicle indefinitely, does it matter that you overpay by a few grand? Obviously you'd still want the best price you can get at purchase time, but because the motivation is different, I think it weighs less on a decision.
That's exactly why I was OK that I thought I may have overpaid a bit. This car was a longtime dream to have and have no intention in hocking it anytime soon. Not concerned with roi other than fun value
post #17 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Very nice, was it as advertised I assume then? They definitely under-priced it if there were no outstanding issues.

Hopefully that isn't a new trend for S prices, but I don't think it is.
Yes - it seemed too good to be true, but I haven't found any real issues so far. Everything works, good maintenance records (PO even kept a log book of gas fill ups), and other than a few minor imperfections, it seems to be in excellent condition. Even came with a 2 year powertrain warranty. The cherry on top was that it was originally purchased here in Portland, and only had two prior owners.

I dropped everything yesterday and drove over to see it, half expecting them to say "oops, we meant $49k", but it all worked out.
nintense likes this.

2011 Evora S - Carbon Grey
2014 Chevy Volt (DD)

Last edited by nw_mr2; 04-19-2017 at 11:30 AM.
post #18 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

Depends on if it's a few grand and what you get for the few grand, or if we're talking like 15-20% over. When I say worrying about overpaying, I mean the ones out there that if you look you'll still see listed at 65-80k. No joke. There's some NAs out there still in the 70s. I don't think any of us would wish that on anyone that might join us here, and if someone really wanted to pay 75k for an NA, probably would all say "I'll sell you mine for 65k instead" and go buy another one, and still save the poor soul some money. Even if you're keeping it forever, there's still long-term costs and such, and having that extra 10k in the bank for the owner can make a big difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NichyNeato View Post
That's exactly why I was OK that I thought I may have overpaid a bit. This car was a longtime dream to have and have no intention in hocking it anytime soon. Not concerned with roi other than fun value
Don't think you overpaid like you are afraid of. The blues and reds definitely seem to be the ones that demand a premium, while maybe on the higher end, there's legit 2014 NAs at dealers priced at 83k+ still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw_mr2 View Post
Yes - it seemed too good to be true, but I haven't found any real issues so far. Everything works, good maintenance records (PO even kept a log book of gas fill ups), and other than a few minor imperfections, it seems to be in excellent condition. Even came with a 2 year powertrain warranty! The cherry on top was that it was originally purchased here in Portland, and only had two prior owners.

I dropped everything yesterday and drove over to see it, half expecting them to say "oops, we meant $49k", but it all worked out.
Nice catch - if I didn't have an irrational hatred of gray/silver cars, you probably would have been in a bidding war with me over the phone. I'm glad someone here got it who will appreciate it and not just someone looking to flip it.
NichyNeato and nw_mr2 like this.
post #19 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Garage
Quote:
Depends on if it's a few grand and what you get for the few grand, or if we're talking like 15-20% over. When I say worrying about overpaying, I mean the ones out there that if you look you'll still see listed at 65-80k. No joke. There's some NAs out there still in the 70s. I don't think any of us would wish that on anyone that might join us here, and if someone really wanted to pay 75k for an NA, probably would all say "I'll sell you mine for 65k instead" and go buy another one, and still save the poor soul some money. Even if you're keeping it forever, there's still long-term costs and such, and having that extra 10k in the bank for the owner can make a big difference.
Oh for sure. I've looked at a number of the "new" listings and wonder if maybe the dealers are just out of touch with the market, or if they're banking on the fact that it has so few miles it should theoretically command a hefty premium. I don't believe there are any new old stock left that don't have punched warranties, so dealers trying to extract their cost plus margins seems unreasonable at this point.

post #20 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:03 PM
KCZ

Garage
Quote:

- Price
- Availability
Some of the other things that go into the price:
- NA vs S
- Mileage
- General condition, to include service records and whether the previous owner had all the recalls and niggles taken care of. Some prospective owners would rather buy from someone on this board who knows the peculiarities of these cars. And the converse is true also. Evora owners make up a small community...if a buyer knows the car has been poorly cared for, that may drive down price.
- Color is a big consideration. Because only ~1200 Evoras were shipped to the US, many colors are represented by <50 cars nationwide. If you want a particular desirable but rare exterior/interior color combo, you may have to pay a premium price for that.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.