Evora in snow. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Evora in snow.

So I finally had an opportunity to try driving the car in the snow. I have to say its not as much fun as I thought it would be, but I probably just need more seat time to feel more comfortable. My past driving experience has been AWD and FF setups, this is my first MR.

Just to put this out there for anyone who was worried they couldn't if they needed to, its fine. I had zero problems! I have a 2011 NA 6sp with snow tires, I drove from Queens to Nassau County n back in NY. I passed many cars stuck on the side of the road and the Evora really held its own.

The only problem I had when I was heading out was that my coolant temp seemed to be little higher than normal(maybe 1/8th" above the half way line) so when I got gas I checked the front end to make sure no vents were blocked and noticed that ice was building up over the AC condenser so to remedy this I just turned the AC on and it headed it up enough to melt it and temps returned to normal after that.

Again, my biggest concern really is everyone else on the road as they drive way to close to each other. But again, anyone thinking about buying this for a daily drive should have no worries. Good driving and good tires you'll be fine.
Attached Images

Stuno1 and AMS_ag like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 02:50 PM

Please for the love of Christ... Go to a marine supply store, buy a salt eater. Wash your car inside, out, bottom, top, bottom again, engine bay, sills, everything... And don't EVER do that again.
Kubera likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 04:01 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
Love it. You clearly bought the car to drive it. Good choice. Why would you sit it in the garage for half the year?
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Awesome! Knew a guy who dailied his Elise in Mass. and he said the only issue was the front end scooping up snow and blocking the radiator. Tires are everything; have fun and be careful. The fiberglass gets really brittle at low temps!

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 06:31 PM

I haven't driven the Evora in the snow, but I drove my Elise in snow a few times. They do very well in snow actually. It was fun! Lots of weird looks...lol
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 08:07 PM

Just "well done"... I've driven my 911s for years - year round, and I live in NH - and I KNOW the looks you got. I'm convinced that those that drive their car daily, especially in snow - are a bit "more in touch" with it - I don't know if that makes sense? I know it causes angst for some, but - it's just the way it is, I guess? Anyway - about once a week or two, in my garage (which looks a bit like yours) I use a power-sprayer on the wheels, liners, underside, etc.. And my two 911 C4s are no worse the wear after nearly 15 years of year round use?

As well - as you mention - tires make all the difference in snow... I'd also suggest that if you want to make this a routine - to get a separate set of wheels with the snow tires mounted - and use a different set for your summer/track tires? I found having dedicated wheels sets made a lot of sense..?

BTW - we are getting the tail end of the storm you drove through above, and it's not for the feint of heart.

Loved the pics and the post....

John D.

'07 Exige S
'95 993 C4
'89 964 C4 (< - Jen's...)
'88 911 Turbo
'68 911 L (< - Jen's...)
'67 912
'04 Cayenne S
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:24 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
Please for the love of Christ... Go to a marine supply store, buy a salt eater. Wash your car inside, out, bottom, top, bottom again, engine bay, sills, everything... And don't EVER do that again.
SaltAway, Amazon. Works v well.

05 elise (PES chip, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:10 AM

Very well done! I've done similar in the past and really enjoyed it, particularly the lively rear axle.

Your note on the engine temperature is very good. I've observed the same, but didn't track it down to the AC condenser blocking airflow.

Don't worry too much about salt, all those aluminium sail boats prove that salt is not the real issue. Just wash it off regularly.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 08:14 AM
KCZ

Garage
"In" snow? That's on a little snow. Not the same thing.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips on the salt sprays. Also, my car has the OE premium wheels at home. I picked up these wheels just for snow and if I get serious at the track for r comps.

This is my daily, I know most would frown to know this gets driven around Brooklyn and Queens every day but for the most part the roads are not as bad as everyone thinks. And the way I look at it, what's the point of trying to keep miles off, for someone else to enjoy it?

Unfortunately my dash cam decided it doesn't wanna work anymore and didn't record any of the snow driving. I've been having problems finding a reliable unit.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
"In" snow? That's on a little snow. Not the same thing.
Sorry to disappoint? Total snow was 5-9 inches. Again, if my dash cam worked properly I could show how bad the roads were.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 AM

It is a car.

Many of us choose to keep ours off the road in the winter, but, really, at the end of the day, it is a car, with a heater, windshield wipers, and, hell, traction control. And its fiberglass with an aluminum chassis, in 20 years of this construction, have any chassis failed from corrosion?

Don't listen to anyone, I drove my M100 for 3 years year round, mostly on summer tires.
Lckitty likes this.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:49 AM

Evora in Winter is great. It really has good trackion due to the engine layout. Be careful in sport mode cause the ESP's understeer control is disabled.

However this year I've got an M235i which is also big fun on snow (and I do care less about it).

What I also like about the Evora is that drifting is quite easy for a mid-engined car. You have to be a bit faster on the steering wheel than with a BMW, but that's it.
Attached Images

Last edited by dmpriso2; 01-09-2017 at 01:55 AM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:36 AM

I'm all for driving all year and in snow. What worries me is that yeah you can have the best snow tires and the grip needed, but it's others I'm more worried about. Not everyone has snow tires and the possibilities of other people sliding and crashing into you are much higher when there is snow on the ground. Nevertheless, I love it that you took it out in the snow.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:25 AM

Nice post.

I drive my Elise in winter and enjoy those weird looks at the gas station.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Vehicle of Mass Enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlobo941 View Post
Agreed, I have seen other Lotus that were driven over time in snow and the salt will really create problems for you down the road, rust is no fun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Z View Post
Sorry to disappoint? Total snow was 5-9 inches. Again, if my dash cam worked properly I could show how bad the roads were.
I was also driving in the area, the snow was very messy, lots of wind, bad visibility.

I know you love your car (I used to drive my Elise in the snow with snow tires) still, you can always drive the car when there is no snow (even in the long winter we have here in NYC) when you have less chances of getting into a mishap.

Dave

Lotus Technician Elise and Exige
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 AM
Vehicle of Mass Enjoyment

Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
It is a car.

Many of us choose to keep ours off the road in the winter, but, really, at the end of the day, it is a car, with a heater, windshield wipers, and, hell, traction control. And its fiberglass with an aluminum chassis, in 20 years of this construction, have any chassis failed from corrosion?

Don't listen to anyone, I drove my M100 for 3 years year round, mostly on summer tires.
Yes, it is a car, but there are other parts in the car that will rust with the salt and create problems...

Dave

Lotus Technician Elise and Exige
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubera View Post
Yes, it is a car, but there are other parts in the car that will rust with the salt and create problems...

If you live in an area like Colorado where they use that magchoride crap then even washing doesn't help. That crap is like grease and hard to get off even with washing. They say "It's not as corrosive as salt", my rear that stuff was way worse. I would never subject a nice car to that stuff, never.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:57 AM

Good to see it driven as Bond intended. Now for that ski rack! As I have other toys I let the Evora sleep in winter but with 4 snows on my Miata, I go anywhere i want and its always a blast!!

16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-->stunning
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
11 BMW Xdrive35d, Vermillion Red w/Cinnamon Brown Leather
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Garage
Great post. We got 1/4" of snow here in SC this weekend and I joked about taking it out. Glad someone has, in real snow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.