Evora Stereo System - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 07:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post Evora Stereo System

Does anyone know the model of the Alpine stereo the launch edition comes with and any other details about the sound system?

Last edited by cfaggen; 02-12-2010 at 10:08 PM.
cfaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaggen View Post
Does anyone know the model of the Pioneer stereo the launch edition comes with and any other details about the sound system? I understand Pioneer is releasing a new line in the next few weeks and i was wondering if it comes with the latest system.
It's actually Alpine for the Evora.
bueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alpine IVA-W505
Old 02-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

It has connectors for an ipod and Hdmi in the glovebox and you can use bluetooth with it. The screen flips out like on the Blaupaunkt one that came in my car, and you can put the cd in the back part behind the screen.

You can also download your own stuff to appear on the screen instead of using the default ones according to the Regional Lotus rep who was at a local showing.

The brochure says it has a 7 inch wvga touch screen display, 2x50w hi power amp, 6.25 coaxial speakers with dash mounted tweeters, 150w lightweight amp and subwoofer, Alpine Blackbirds Integrated Satellite Navigation, Bluetooth connectivity, cruise control, and rear parking sensors are part of the technology package.

If you go for the package, additional other options are a Alpine Imprint dynamic EQ system, and reversing camera.
xxxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

are you sure it is not the INA W900? they seem similar.
cfaggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaggen View Post
are you sure it is not the INA W900? they seem similar.
I got my launch edition Evora a week ago, and it has the Alpine IVA-W505. It is a neat unit, but rather flakey and difficult to use. My main complaint is as follows:

1. You must carefully read and memorize the manual in order to do anything with this unit.

2. They don't give you a printed manual. It is on CD-ROM.

3. The user interface is not very intuitive. You can get the unit into weird modes that you won't get out of unless you have read the manual.

I was planning to get the Alpine INA-W909 for my daily driver, but I am reconsidering that now. The main difference as I understand is that the INA-W909 has built-in GPS navigation. The model that comes in the Evora has a removable, portable GPS nav unit. It is fun to play with, but I'm not likely to ever do that.

I also have a problem with my unit. It won't play most of my commercial DVDs! It gives an error message "Regional Code Violation" which seems to indicate that it is not a US unit. The manual that came with it says it is a region 1 player and can't be changed, although there is a country code setting which was already set to USA.

I am curious, have any other US Evora owners tried to play any region-1 DVDs in the car?
anthonyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've Only played several US DVD's. I can try a region 1 DVD if I have one available... Gotta check my DVD collection.

The alpine unit isn't the easiest to use but it does what you want it to do eventually
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Some of my commercial DVDs (like Grand Prix) are not region coded, but most of them are coded for Region 1=North America. I cannot play any of the region coded disks.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello folks. We thought we would let you know that we just finished upgrading the complete factory audio system in an Evora. I am assuming this car was equipped with the "technology" package as it had the factory Alpine nav system with iPod, Bluetooth and reverse camera. Our customer disliked the nav system which we didn't blame him. Even though this is a 2010 car the nav system from Alpine is about two years old. He had us replace it because he found out there were no map updates available for the unit. Here is some more info if you are thinking of upgrading your audio system. The factory components while being built by Alpine for Lotus are nothing to get excited about. When we first listened to the audio system we were rather dissapointed in the way it sounded as was the customer. The system lacked dynamics and definition. Once we disassembled the vehicle we found out why. There is no amplification going to the front speakers except for the power of the deck. At RMS power you are looking at 18 watts going to the components before the crossovers. The only amp in this vehicle was a little mono-block running the sub. The sub is another dissapointment. It is a free air unit in the rear passenger panel. I have attached a video of what we did to improve this vehicle. To the administrator- we are not trying to advertise by posting this video. It is just simpler to give all this info through a video than typing it. If you folks have any questions about the car please feel free to email us. Thanks.
soundsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks soundfast!

Great video, very informative...

FindThatStyle - Founder & CEO
2009 Yamaha Raider (RIP)
2007 F-150 Lariat
2006 SY Lotus Elise (Sold)
jesterbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyseven View Post
I got my launch edition Evora a week ago, and it has the Alpine IVA-W505. It is a neat unit, but rather flakey and difficult to use. My main complaint is as follows:

1. You must carefully read and memorize the manual in order to do anything with this unit.

2. They don't give you a printed manual. It is on CD-ROM.

3. The user interface is not very intuitive. You can get the unit into weird modes that you won't get out of unless you have read the manual.

I was planning to get the Alpine INA-W909 for my daily driver, but I am reconsidering that now. The main difference as I understand is that the INA-W909 has built-in GPS navigation. The model that comes in the Evora has a removable, portable GPS nav unit. It is fun to play with, but I'm not likely to ever do that.

I also have a problem with my unit. It won't play most of my commercial DVDs! It gives an error message "Regional Code Violation" which seems to indicate that it is not a US unit. The manual that came with it says it is a region 1 player and can't be changed, although there is a country code setting which was already set to USA.

I am curious, have any other US Evora owners tried to play any region-1 DVDs in the car?
I just tried to play a standard (U.S.) video DVD in the Alpine unit in my Evora, and it displayed the same message you got "Regional Code Violation" .
Is the only fix replacing the entire head unit with one that is North America DVD-compatible?
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
JLSELISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSELISE View Post
I just tried to play a standard (U.S.) video DVD in the Alpine unit in my Evora, and it displayed the same message you got "Regional Code Violation" .
Is the only fix replacing the entire head unit with one that is North America DVD-compatible?

I've talked to Alpine about this. They can change the region coding, but we'll have to pull the unit and send it in. This confirms we won't have to completely replace the head unit.

I've talked to the dealer where I'll be getting my first 1,000 mile service. They are going to investigate the problem and see if Lotus will take care of it. I will post what I learn here.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Please tell me the stock Lotus stereo sounds much better than the Elise / Exige.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

When listening to it on my test drives I immediately thought it was dramatically better than my Elise. That's not saying a whole lot - and maybe a lot of that has to do with the Evora being significantly quieter to drive - but for me there wasn't even a comparison.

Listening to music on my cell phone speakers puts the Elise to shame.
hegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyseven View Post
I've talked to Alpine about this. They can change the region coding, but we'll have to pull the unit and send it in. This confirms we won't have to completely replace the head unit.

I've talked to the dealer where I'll be getting my first 1,000 mile service. They are going to investigate the problem and see if Lotus will take care of it. I will post what I learn here.
Thanks for the research and effort.
On the one hand, it seems like the problem fix should certainly be a Lotus responsibility--on the other hand, I personally see little or no need to be able to play a video DVD so I would not pay to get it fixed.

I also have another problem with the sound system, though, in that there is no output from the rear speakers. Hopefully, this is just a missed connection that can be sorted at the first service.

As for sound quality, other than the rear speaker problem, I think the system sounds pretty good and is a nice complement to the generally quiet interior.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #16 (permalink)

Hmm, I just realized this weekend that there are no rear "speakers" , and it is just the subwoofer back there.
Too bad, IMO it would be nice to have a working fader control.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #17 (permalink)

To the folks asking about the sound quality between the Evora and Elise. There is a huge difference between the stock systems as we have worked on both models. I will tell you the performance of your factory Evora system can be drastically improved by simply adding an amp to the front speakers. The car's seperate mid and tweet speakers are ran off of deck power which is not a good thing to do with seperates. The crossover that goes between the mid and tweet robs most of the power coming out of the deck. As for the subwoofer, the only way to really improve it is to do something like we did in the youtube video. If you guys have any tech questions concerning the audio system please let me know as we went through that complete car. soundsfast@bendcable.com
Old 07-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

Evora sound system is very good to begin with... Perhaps not to audiophiles, but it suffices quite nicely for my ears. There are built in adjustments that I've used to refine the midrange and bass to my liking, but I can honestly say the system is not so horrible that everyone should consider upgrading....

I feel the work done on this Evora was done at the cost of increased weight and reduced cabin noise (a good thing if you want a quieter ride)... The Evora's appeal is it's ability to balance between the performance experience and comfort. It's never leans heavy in any direction (except maybe price!)... I wouldn't want the car to be any more quiet or louder than it currently is.
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
Evora sound system is very good to begin with... Perhaps not to audiophiles, but it suffices quite nicely for my ears. There are built in adjustments that I've used to refine the midrange and bass to my liking, but I can honestly say the system is not so horrible that everyone should consider upgrading....

I feel the work done on this Evora was done at the cost of increased weight and reduced cabin noise (a good thing if you want a quieter ride)... The Evora's appeal is it's ability to balance between the performance experience and comfort. It's never leans heavy in any direction (except maybe price!)... I wouldn't want the car to be any more quiet or louder than it currently is.
I can assure you we didn't add more than an extra 8-10 pounds to this car doing what we did. The sound deadening was only used where needed. I promise you the upgrades made a night and day difference compared to factory. And the weight difference is not going to be noticeable. That was our main concern with upgrading the audio
Old 07-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #20 (permalink)
Abe
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsfast View Post
I can assure you we didn't add more than an extra 8-10 pounds to this car doing what we did. The sound deadening was only used where needed. I promise you the upgrades made a night and day difference compared to factory. And the weight difference is not going to be noticeable. That was our main concern with upgrading the audio
As someone who sells Lotus, I wasn't terribly impressed with the upgraded Alpine unit that comes with the Tech Pack but then again, factory OEM sound systems from almost every car manufacturer always leaves a little bit to be desired. That being said, try getting an Evora without the Tech Pack and you get what looks to be the Alpine from the Elise/Exige models ....me thinks people will likethe upgraded Alpine then

Soundsfast, I saw the preparation you took for installing the upgraded sound system on your client's Evora and I'm reallly impressed
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora