The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Evora visibility

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Bobsy Racer 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here and the Evora is really growing on me (didn't care for it at first) I sat in one @ my local dealer a while ago and was suprised at what little rearward visibility there is.

Is this an issue with the car? If not, how do you use reverse or change lanes without causing an "incident"

Thanks

#6 ·
I used my Ecora as DD for a year, now the second car. Never an issue with parking etc but the parking sensors are a must (camera not so in my view). When driving is you will use mirrors extensively, but you are OK, it's never causing me any trouble.

#7 ·
Visibility isn't as good as a sedan but it's do-able. The Tech package, I believe includes the back up camera. It's helpful at first but, honestly, I don't really use it any more.

As for blind spots, just like any other car, set your mirror to cover your blind spots or just turn your head.

#9 ·
right now I have the backup camera that displays to my headunit when I put the car in reverse, but Im getting ready to change over to a review mirror with display. I will have an "always on" backup camera in my review mirror. Setting up my front facing DVR/camera to display in my headunit.

#10 ·
I haven't had much problem with visibility. Although I do wish the Evora's mirrors had what my F-150 and my wife's Escape have ... the little cut-out at the top corner showing your blind spot. They work so well I think all cars should have them. I could always get one of those stick on units, but I find them to look too tacky to want to do that. So you make up for it by being constantly aware of who is there or almost there so you don't get surprised.

Sad little side story about blind spot visibility ... a Dodge Durango got irritated with their lane going slow and tried to pass a brand new ZR1 on the right hand side. The guy in the 'vette appeared to want to change lanes to get to the off-ramp, but needless to say that couldn't happen with the Durango now there. I watched in my rear view mirror in horror as the guy in the ZR1 noticed her at the last minute, but rather than just stop the lane change he jerked on the wheel to get back in his lane fully. The response sent him into a full on spin and he slammed the center divider. It was one of those things where you could see him making the mistake and want to fix it yourself, or at least yell "no, don't do it" as it was happening.

Lesson learned ... blind spots totally suck in any sports car and vigilence is even more important because of the responsive handling.

- Chris

#11 ·
rear visibility

You will find people like to sit in the passing lane in the "blind spot" to view the car. This was the case with the Elise and now the Evora. I had the luxury of multivex mirrors in the Elise. I use Click & Clack's method for the side mirror. When passers are no longer visible in the rear view mirror, they become visible in the side view mirror - no blind spots.

#12 ·
Mirrors are very good in the Evora. Driver's side visibility excellent. Directly rear is decent, similar to an Elise. To passenger side it's good but not very good. Rearward as in backing up or parking awful. Camera helps but it takes about 5 seconds to "boot up" after you shift to R.

When merging to passenger side it's a good idea to use the right foot to create extra space :)

By comparison the Europa has awesome rear visibility but you need to turn your head and look. Passenger mirror is about invisible unless you place a convex 1 1/2" mirror.

Some people think that they can eliminate blind spots by adjusting mirrors "correctly". That's just wrong. The Tundra has mirrors the size of a small TV and vehicles can suddenly appear on either side.

#15 ·
Yeah I know the blind spot mirrors work, I just wish it was integrated so as not to look too gaudy. Superficial, I know. :)

I emailed the guy at MultiVex Mirrors hoping for a response, but it seems dead there. May check out those world car mirrors people - thanks for the thread.

- Chris

#18 ·
not to berate the forum with pictures of my car-but I shopped around a bit before I found the blind spot mirrors I liked that didn't stick out much, weren't too big in diameter, and didn't have too much black plastic around. The rounds are more low profile than the rectangulars..and although yes they may look a *little* grandma-ish at a glance no one is going to notice and they made a huge difference..I'd rather put my 125 dollar savings into an ITG filter or something lol

#19 ·
Good thread. I'll add the smaller stick-on wide angle mirrors to my list of possible mods to the new Evora. To be quite honest, I'm just a little nervous about parallel parking and am wondering how much the backup camera is going to help out. Can you see the curb really close to the rear of the car or does it now show the curb but for 10' away? I know I'll be paranoid about dinging up the rims.

Before you guys advise me to NEVER parallel park it..........I know. I'll certainly try not to as it's just inviting an SUV to back into you. So, the question still remains.....is the Evora a bitch to parallel park?

#20 ·
I've managed just fine, though the curbs are easy to rash (I've got some from taking a corner on a lumpy cobblestone street unfortunately)

You can always try a single mirror and use painters tape just to see how you like it. 3 dollar investment to try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.