Finally found a real Twin Turbo 2GR-FE - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Finally found a real Twin Turbo 2GR-FE

Not an Evora but these guys may know how to build one for us. Too bad they are in Aus.

"The engine was built by Shane Wilson, owner of Shane Competition Engine Development in Mount Gambier, South Australia - He fitted Pankyl H-beam con rods, CP pistons and PSI valve springs, all made in the USA."

Buggy Specs

Last edited by abechen; 11-26-2012 at 10:26 PM.
abechen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yep - the Jimco 2000

Specs available on another link that I (and others) have posted before.

I have emailed them requesting information on the build as it isn't exactly practical to send a motor internationally for work (especially one as common as the 2GR).
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

How about these guys:

St. Louis Performance Automotive, Automotive Repair, Audio Installation and Sales, and Auto Body and Paint.

They are in St Louis and built a 447hp Rav4.

Mark Jarvis is the guy to talk to:
314 457 0004
Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cant wait to see a turbo charged Evora. I would love to compare the turbo charged one to my car and see the power differences and horsepower gains over supercharger application. Now we just a brave owner to step forward.
ramtin1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin1000 View Post
Cant wait to see a turbo charged Evora. I would love to compare the turbo charged one to my car and see the power differences and horsepower gains over supercharger application. Now we just a brave owner to step forward.
Ramtin I think supercharging is the best for Lotus Cars. It would be interesting to see though.
2005 Yellow/ Sport Package/ Touring / Hard Top/ Soft Top/ Gut Rear Spoiler, Reverie CF Spolier , Reverie CF Diffuser, Reverie CF Side Scoops, Reverie CF Center Console, CF A/C Surround, Zoom CF Mirror, 4Tress Harness Bar, B&M Short Shifter, 4 Point Harness, Fire Extinguisher, Carpet Buttons, CRD Mount, Bemani Supercharger Running Strong, 2Bular GT3 Exhaust, BBS Rims, Vonhep Naked Look, Willwood Front BBK, Nitron Single Adjustable Coils... More coming....
swisstexelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Clearly a superscharger has better low rev's performance, but today a modern,turbo-solution is also without the dreaded turbo lag. Problem is that most aftermarket solutions are of poor quality, whereas the S/C solution is Lotus factory developed.

Biggest issue for a turbo in the Evora will be space, both for the turbos (you will need 2), the charge cooler and the piping.
tbd_Evora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd_Evora View Post
Clearly a superscharger has better low rev's performance, but today a modern,turbo-solution is also without the dreaded turbo lag. Problem is that most aftermarket solutions are of poor quality, whereas the S/C solution is Lotus factory developed.

Biggest issue for a turbo in the Evora will be space, both for the turbos (you will need 2), the charge cooler and the piping.
If you ran an after-cat (really on this car after-collector) turbo setup, which have proven reliable and solid options on low to moderate boost (which I think is a given with this car) applications, you could get away with one turbo. Only issue will still be tubing. There isn't much room to play in the engine bay portion.
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd_Evora View Post

Superchargers are less efficient.

If there is room for two pre-cats, there is plenty of room for two turbos and their corresponding wastegates. Getting Cold air to 1 or a pair of air to air Intercoolers may be an issue so one may have to use water to air ICs.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cooling seems to be the only stickler. Space isn't really the main issue - and if you need more - trunk delete.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
If you ran an after-cat (really on this car after-collector) turbo setup, which have proven reliable and solid options on low to moderate boost (which I think is a given with this car) applications, you could get away with one turbo. Only issue will still be tubing. There isn't much room to play in the engine bay portion.
The stock cat manifold is too restrictive and too long for driving a turbo, while the engine bay will not permit a turbo right at exhaust ports at least a longer but low restriction header system would need to be designed. The other issue is where to put the IC as it will be needed even more so that the SC setup, due to heat transfer from the exhaust. A single turbo will give much more turbo lag that you think, modern system have reduce lag but the physics will not allow its elimination.

We can get to at least 444 with the current SC and if you read the fine print on the GTE brochure you will see a call out of an IC. While it is hard to fit an IC it will be less work for us to do that than also fit two turbos
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1.8 (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1)
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
Cooling seems to be the only stickler. Space isn't really the main issue - and if you need more - trunk delete.
Ok for the aft side, what about to fwd cylinder bank? move the fire wall a foot fwd as in the GTE race cars? even then space is still tight just ask Alex Job racing.
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1.8 (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1)
Old 11-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anyone seen the GTE's Engine with IC? Pictures?
Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abechen View Post
Anyone seen the GTE's Engine with IC? Pictures?
Not seen any photos, so dont know where or how to moount. Just to be clear it is not the GTE race car w/ bored out 4.0 l NA Cosworth moded engine. It was eitehr the GTE road car or one of rge race cars specs above GTS and below GTE, check the Lotus motorsport sight, they have recently improved the info sheets on thh race car models.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hate Turbos. Have a turbocharged 4 cylinder 2litre GM engine in my Opel Insignia. 250 HP and massive torque, but not fun, bit dull and everything but responsive. Needs more fuel for less fun than my Evora S. Superchargers are more responsive.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven76 View Post
Hate Turbos. Have a turbocharged 4 cylinder 2litre GM engine in my Opel Insignia. 250 HP and massive torque, but not fun, bit dull and everything but responsive. Needs more fuel for less fun than my Evora S. Superchargers are more responsive.
Comparing those two cars/engines is not really a good comparison - midsized turbo family car to a true sports car.

Try comparing the SC Elise to the Turbo Elise - then report back.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Not seen any photos, so dont know where or how to moount. Just to be clear it is not the GTE race car w/ bored out 4.0 l NA Cosworth moded engine. It was eitehr the GTE road car or one of rge race cars specs above GTS and below GTE, check the Lotus motorsport sight, they have recently improved the info sheets on thh race car models.
Anyone know the details on the engine setup for the road going GTE? I haven't been able to find any pictures or info on what they did different to get more power from the sc engine. Strange that there is so little info.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven76 View Post
I love turbos. The hissing, wastegate, blow off valve. Nothing sounds as awesome. I had a DSM (Mitsubishi Eclipse). Modified the car to no end and that engine never gave out. With the right Turbo, you will not notice any lag even on the track.

The Evora is a much larger car than the Elise. 3.5 verse 1.8 is a big difference. A turbo with a built motor will put out serious power.
And if lightness is what you are after, go buy an Elise/Exige. The Evora is a pig next to them.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I love turbos. The hissing, wastegate, blow off valve. Nothing sounds as awesome. I had a DSM (Mitsubishi Eclipse). Modified the car to no end and that engine never gave out. With the right Turbo, you will not notice any lag even on the track.

The Evora is a much larger car than the Elise. 3.5 verse 1.8 is a big difference. A turbo with a built motor will put out serious power.
And if lightness is what you are after, go buy an Elise/Exige. The Evora is a pig next to them.
A pig that turns like a maniacal go-kart.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
A pig that turns like a maniacal go-kart.
Although my Evora corners very well, it feels very big and heavy compared to my old Elise. The Evora floats over bumps while the Elise drives through them.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Although my Evora corners very well, it feels very big and heavy compared to my old Elise. The Evora floats over bumps while the Elise drives through them.
Nope, feel different about that. Evora is more planted, but still extremely agile. Just less rattle than my old Elise R. Gives more confidence so I believe most average drivers like myself will be quicker with the Evora.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora