Good waterproof Evora car cover under $100??? Thanks! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Good waterproof Evora car cover under $100??? Thanks!

looking for a good car cover that is waterproof and won't blow off on a windy day. Any thoughts? Thanks
gasupraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasupraman View Post
looking for a good car cover that is waterproof and won't blow off on a windy day. Any thoughts? Thanks
Be careful with a car cover in the wind, it can abrade your paint. Especially the water proof covers. I use an indoor soft cover outside in good weather.
If it is windy, you are better of just to remove the cover. Just my opinion.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Avery View Post
you are better of just to remove the cover. Just my opinion.
My opinion as well, though I would expand it beyond just windy days to really anytime. In my humble opinion, car covers most always do more harm than good. If the car is completely dust-free and a completely clean SOFT cover is applied, and the car is being kept indoors, then maybe it would be OK. But in most other cases either 1.) the cover itself will scratch, or 2.) the cover will grind dust/grit into the paint. Unfortunately I did not come to this opinion by mere speculation
Old 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
My opinion as well, though I would expand it beyond just windy days to really anytime. In my humble opinion, car covers most always do more harm than good. If the car is completely dust-free and a completely clean SOFT cover is applied, and the car is being kept indoors, then maybe it would be OK. But in most other cases either 1.) the cover itself will scratch, or 2.) the cover will grind dust/grit into the paint. Unfortunately I did not come to this opinion by mere speculation
I agree, I only cover my car when it is clean. Mostly for a few hours at a time in front of my office. The rest of the time it is in my garage.
Ron
Attached Images

2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Old 12-28-2012, 02:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

why not combine the indoor cover with an outdoor waterproof cover. that way, the indoor cover keeps the car safe from the outdoor waterproof cover which keeps the car (and indoor cover) dry
2008 Buell XB9SX (leaving soon)
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Because the wind will whip the paint to death... And the price won't come in < 100 anyway

Last edited by irox; 12-28-2012 at 08:15 PM.
irox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
One corner at a time

You're really looking for a sub $100 cover to put on a $80k car? Good to know Evora owners are just as cheap as Elige guys. If your budget is that tight perhaps you bought the wrong car.
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
You're really looking for a sub $100 cover to put on a $80k car? Good to know Evora owners are just as cheap as Elige guys. If your budget is that tight perhaps you bought the wrong car.
As a daily cover user, I can tell you keeping a car covered year-round is much more expensive than you think.

Where I live car covers need replacing 3-4 times a year. Not kidding. The air here is extremely dirty. Plus we get lots of high winds, and there is no grass or trees. Just lots of dust, grit, and trash blowing through my neighborhood. Downtown LA is purely concrete jungle. A real sh*thole for any car. Without a cover, all the cars here literally get sandblasted every night and are covered in dust every morning. And at $600 a piece for a genuine fitted Lotus cover, it becomes an expensive proposition. I have a brand new one for sale if anyone wants it. I got tired of replacing it and I switched to a cheap Budge cover. Fits like crap, but whatever it's cheap. I don't feel so bad tossing it out every 3 months. So far my paint is okay but my clearbra is beat to hell--not from the cover but from me constantly wiping my car down before covering (an absolute requirement for any cover use).
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the insights guys, Its much appreciated. I guess I should just buy a new house with a garage lol. I dont think I will use it that often, just for use when I have to leave the car at the airport and on days when the landscaper comes though with the leafblower...ARG!

Last edited by gasupraman; 12-29-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
just for use when I have to leave the car at the airport
Putting a cover on a car in public (save for your driveway) is about the lamest, doucheist thing you can do IMHO...
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Putting a cover on a car in public (save for your driveway) is about the lamest, doucheist thing you can do IMHO...
That's harsh, I use my cover in public all the time. When I am out and away from my garage. I always clean or dust the car off before I cover it. If it is windy, I don't cover it. Let him do what he want's it's his car.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
That's harsh, I use my cover in public all the time. When I am out and away from my garage. I always clean or dust the car off before I cover it. If it is windy, I don't cover it. Let him do what he want's it's his car.
Ron
You're totally right it's his car and he can do anything he wants with it - but I stand by my statement. A car parked in public with a cover on it is lame lame lame. Save for a extremely expensive collector car (which shouldn't be parked in public anyway). Again IMHO...

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 12-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

that's funny, I am not talking about using a car cover at the grocery store, but for when the car will set in a public lot for days at a time.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Ron
PS I love your garage Ron, Is that a E-Type on the lift? I just sold my jag
Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasupraman View Post
PS I love your garage Ron, Is that a E-Type on the lift? I just sold my jag
Thanks, yep it is a 1965 FHC 4.2, Carmen red, Biscuit interior. I bought it in 2002,and restored it in 2005. My daughter and I show in many California car shows and in some JCNA show as well. I upgraded it in a few area's. 5. speed gear box, better front brakes,and better cooling act.
Ron
Attached Images

2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Old 12-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks, yep it is a 1965 FHC 4.2, Carmen red, Biscuit interior. I bought it in 2002,and restored it in 2005. My daughter and I show in many California car shows and in some JCNA show as well. I upgraded it in a few area's. 5. speed gear box, better front brakes,and better cooling act.
Ron
She's a beautiful! I am jealous!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
alp
likes to rent cars.

I hear you.

Nothing wrong with using a car cover at airport parking. Some folks travel for days or weeks and that's the ride they have. Grime from the airport can be brutal to clean. Come visit LAX parking lots, numerous with car covers.

If it's for the occasional usage, just get one from pepboys/autozon and get a lock.
alp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Ross, by the similar standards, you are already a douchebag for owning this car...

Last edited by squidward; 12-29-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: no need to be confrontational :/
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
Ross, by the similar standards, you are already a douchebag for owning this car...
Oh don't I know it - and really I'm a douchebag for so many better reasons. Like for popping off on a thread about car covers....

V8 Pathfinder LE
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #20 (permalink)
KCZ

Sorry, but I think the possible risk of small, barely visible abrasions in the paint from the cover is far preferable to tree sap/pitch and bird poop on the car. The latter can really damage your paint, particularly if you aren't right there to remove it.
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora