Good waterproof Evora car cover under $100??? Thanks! - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

[QUOTE=KCZ;1831309]Sorry, but I think the possible risk of small, barely visible abrasions in the paint from the cover is far preferable to tree sap/pitch and bird poop on the car. QUOTE]

I agree completely. Add to that sun damage and acid rain.

I’ve covered numerous cars over the years (including a brand new black one that was kept outside 2 years straight for 100% of the time) and have seen absolutely no ill effect on the paint. (I’ll admit none of them were a DD, so it was easier to keep them maintained and clean.) Aside from our DD, all of our cars, even while in a garage, are washed and then covered. The following is what I have used to avoid paint issues (your results may vary):

1. It is 100% mandatory that I wash the car before covering it.
2. I must keep it waxed religiously.
3. The cover must be kept TIGHT. (I used to use at least 4 straps snugged tightly across the bottom.)
4. A quality cover is absolutely required - I only use California Car Cover’s SuperWeave material.
(For the Evora it cost about $325)
5. You must regularly wash the cover- SuperWeave can be washed in a home washing machine.

For my Evora, I custom ordered a Superweave cover. I had them add a 6” skirt all the way around to prevent dust from coming up from underneath for when I cover it. I have found that, even in a garage, it is best to cover the car. (It is currently hibernating for the winter under its cover while in a garage.) It prevents that minor bump from your wife’s purse, or belt scratch from the neighbor who stopped by to say hello.

By the way, California Car Cover will give a discount if ordering several covers at the same time. I ordered eight SuperWeave covers at one time and they knocked several hundred off the total.

I will admit that my DDs (2012, 2012 and 2012 work vehicle) do not get covered but are washed at least once a week and waxed at least every three months. I actually enjoy washing and waxing my cars. It is my therapy. And,yes, I am also anal.
2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #22 (permalink)

Garage
[quote=2011 chrome orange;1831322]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
3. The cover must be kept TIGHT. (I used to use at least 4 straps snugged tightly across the bottom.)
4. A quality cover is absolutely required - I only use California Car Cover’s SuperWeave material.
5. You must regularly wash the cover- SuperWeave can be washed in a home washing machine.
Now this is a car covering regimen I can support
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #23 (permalink)

Garage

Wow are you and I related? I agree with your run down. But come on you only wax every 3 months. What a slacker, I wax once a month. It is nice to have a clean car, I clean mine after every drive. Short drives=Quick detail, Long drives=wash. And don't forget to vacuum.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0

Last edited by Ron Avery; 12-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

^^

Presta Fast Wax is my best friend. I use it between the 3 month “real waxes”. It was recommended to me by a body shop owner who uses it on his personal vehicles and I have been extremely happy with the results. It can even be used in direct sunlight, although I don’t apply it in the sun.

Info: Fast Wax?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #25 (permalink)

Garage
I started using Gtechniq EXO several months ago and highly recommend it (not affiliated in any way). Better surface properties than wax AND it lasts 6 months.

My wife's Audi ~4 months after an EXO application:

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
I started using Gtechniq EXO several months ago and highly recommend it (not affiliated in any way). Better surface properties than wax AND it lasts 6 months.

My wife's Audi ~4 months after an EXO application:

To get just a little more "pretty" add a layer of Carnuba over that EXO and it will be noticed in the sun
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:11 AM   #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
To get just a little more "pretty" add a layer of Carnuba over that EXO and it will be noticed in the sun
Good thinking, and you may be right. However the guys at Gtechniq claim that Carnuba isn't as shiny or slick as EXO I do like the idea of having a sacrificial layer of wax, but to this point have stuck with the EXO.

A couple of months ago I did strip the Evora down, applied two coats of Crystal Lacquer followed by two coats of EXO. Supposedly the Crystal Lacquer becomes the new permanent surface of the paint, adding some scratch resistance. I believe that as I did screw up on the application in one small spot - didn't buff it away completely in time, and it won't come off now.

So bringing this back home - laying down a couple of layers of high quality paint protectant is always a good idea - especially when covering the car.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:14 AM   #28 (permalink)

I had heard of the EXO and watched a youtube video regarding application, but had never seen the results myself or heard from someone who actually used it. Thanks for the info. I may have to give it a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora