IPS Stuck in 3rd - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 12:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

IPS Stuck in 3rd

Was shopping. Returned to the car, started it up, reversed, put it in drive, and for the first time it stalled. Restarted, put it in drive again and it stalled. Restarted it and managed to keep it going this time. Noticed the instrument panel was lit up with many error lights: check engine, DPM indicator, and the transmission malfunction light.

I noticed it was stuck in 3rd gear. I continued to drive about two miles through town in stop and go traffic - always in 3rd gear. When I tried to shift with the paddles, either nothing would happen (M mode appeared), or it would display the shift error triangle with the exclamation point in the center of the triangle. Sport mode would not engage. Once I got out of town I pulled over and turned the car off for a minute. When restarted, it was once again in first gear, and ran fine on the trip home. Sport mode worked as well.

The code reader produced the following:

P0700 - transmission control (malfunction indicator lamp request)
P2135 - throttle/pedal position sensor/switch A/B voltage correlation
P2106 - Throttle actuator control system force limited power
U0401 - invalid data received from engine control modue/powertrain control module A
P1613 - degraded operation
The usual P300, P301, P306 cylinder misfire codes.

"Cleared the codes," and all error lights gone. Now up to 8 permanent codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do you have the last software upgrade?

I received an e-mail from Lotus last week saying it has solved the issues some may encounter with the IPS.
Is a Porsche Cayman S quicker and faster? Yeah, probably, a little, if you judge things so parlously as to measure your life in tenths of a second. The Evora is a connoisseurís car, a driverís shibboleth and secret code, a prime number of a machine that is indivisible by anything other than itself.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

IPS stuck in a gear ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
Do you have the last software upgrade?

I received an e-mail from Lotus last week saying it has solved the issues some may encounter with the IPS.
I sent the above to the service folks. Still waiting to hear back. I'll send them your response as well. It was just in for service two weeks ago (next paragraph).

I've had two minor issues with the car so far: cruise control fixed with a new clockspring, and error codes when I washed the car - sealant applied to some of the connectors in the engine bay appears to have corrected the problem.

I've had zero problems with the car not running correctly until now - over 5K miles since June.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have some news for you: I have had very similar problems with my Lotus Evora S IPS MY2012 was in at the Dealership here in Belgium until yesterday for the second time in a month with the IPS stuck in 5th gear and the engine MIL indicator as well as the transmission indicator lights having switched on. I had to stop the car to have the gearshift working again. When restarting the car everything was OK again, although the indicator lights remained on.
My superb dealer had had the car in for two weeks after the first time, diagnosed the problem in collaboration with Lotus cars as a faulty solenoid in the auto gearbox, and replaced it.
The second time, he organized for two Lotus engineers who are responsible for the gearbox and the Lotus software running it, to come over to Belgium (fairly close to Norfolk, UK, but still far away from home for these guys). The engineers worked for two days on end, and drove over 350 kms with all their factory programming gear attached to my car. They found out that the way that their software was written is not suited to my driving style, which I admit is sporty, with frequent manual overrides in 1st gear high up into the revs (they shouldn't make the exhaust sound so bloody sexy!). They completely rewrote the software to also accommodate my driving style, and will make the software available to all IPS cars somewhere in January 2013, after their Xmas holidays. Now that's talking isn't it. Although I did feel frustrated at times due to the gearbox problems, I do feel more part of the Lotus family.
By the way, the engineers told them that a Lotus Evora S IPS driven on a daily basis by a Lotus engineer got stuck in 3rd gear as well, with problems which are exactly yours. I do hope that the new software written on the basis of the faults they acquired from my car, will solve your issues, as well as theirs.
Eyegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

stuck in 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyegene View Post
I have some news for you: I have had very similar problems with my Lotus Evora S IPS MY2012 was in at the Dealership here in Belgium until yesterday for the second time in a month with the IPS stuck in 5th gear and the engine MIL indicator as well as the transmission indicator lights having switched on. I had to stop the car to have the gearshift working again. When restarting the car everything was OK again, although the indicator lights remained on.
My superb dealer had had the car in for two weeks after the first time, diagnosed the problem in collaboration with Lotus cars as a faulty solenoid in the auto gearbox, and replaced it.
The second time, he organized for two Lotus engineers who are responsible for the gearbox and the Lotus software running it, to come over to Belgium (fairly close to Norfolk, UK, but still far away from home for these guys). The engineers worked for two days on end, and drove over 350 kms with all their factory programming gear attached to my car. They found out that the way that their software was written is not suited to my driving style, which I admit is sporty, with frequent manual overrides in 1st gear high up into the revs (they shouldn't make the exhaust sound so bloody sexy!). They completely rewrote the software to also accommodate my driving style, and will make the software available to all IPS cars somewhere in January 2013, after their Xmas holidays. Now that's talking isn't it. Although I did feel frustrated at times due to the gearbox problems, I do feel more part of the Lotus family.
By the way, the engineers told them that a Lotus Evora S IPS driven on a daily basis by a Lotus engineer got stuck in 3rd gear as well, with problems which are exactly yours. I do hope that the new software written on the basis of the faults they acquired from my car, will solve your issues, as well as theirs.
Thanks for the update. I've had no problems since. The car is now under cover on life support (battery maintainer) - winter has arrived. The dealer said the software is up-to-date. I'll send them your response and will be on the look out for a software update next spring.

My driving style is probably tame compared to many. I use sport mode and paddle shifters when I'm on the expressway on ramp, and when I want to pass quickly. The car was very enjoyable at the Tail of the Dragon (google it). Sport mode and paddle shifters all of the time. It ran perfectly.

It was odd when it had its breakdown - simply started up to go home.

There are times when I wonder if I'm driving an excellent sport car, or a computer. I down loaded most of the Evora manuals and read through the error codes, what causes them, and what is tested. As a retired software engineer, I would be amazed if the programming is correct. There is most likely too much interaction between faults and how one fault affects another.

I also received a two page explanation from my dealer via Lotus explaining how faults are now handled. A brief description:

Pending: A malfunction is detected by engine diagnostics generating a relevant fault code, but the severity of the malfunction is not considered great enough to illuminate the check engine or wrench Tell Tale. A pending fault code may change to a Confirmed fault code if detected on the 2nd drive cycle if the same malfunction is detected.

Confirmed: The malfunction detected was by its severity sufficient to illuminate the check engine or wrench Tell Tale.

Permanent: A permanent fault code is also stored in the ECU at the same time as the Confirmed fault is generated (but only for the check engine Tell Tale). Note: A permanent code will not automatically delete from the ECU's history even if the Confirmed code has been "cleared" and the check engine light extinguished.

There is another full page of explanation.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds like the Lotus equivalent of a BSOD
Attached Images

Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora