The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Jack stands?

67K views 124 replies 54 participants last post by  agentdr8 
#1 ·
I was trying to put the rear of the car on jack stands today, but found that other than the specified jack points at the back (there are two), there seems to be no other area where I could safely load the car onto actual jack stands once the wheels came off. Anyone try to put the car on stands and if so, how (with only one jack that is)?

#4 · (Edited)
I have not had to do this for my Evora yet, but I'm pretty sure this procedure that works well on other cars will also work for it.
You will need two floor jacks:
First jack up a corner of the car using the recommended jacking point.
Remove the wheel.
Position the second floor jack at the lower ball joint of the suspension upright and jack up the suspension (making sure the jack is free to roll as the suspension compresses) until the car lifts off the first floor jack.
Remove the first floor jack and replace it with a jack stand.
Lower the suspension so that the jacking point rests on the jack stand.
Removing the jack stand requires the reverse procedure.

#5 ·
Position the second floor jack at the lower ball joint of the suspension upright and jack up the suspension (making sure the jack is free to roll as the suspension compresses) until the car lifts off the first floor jack.
Could you elaborate a bit more on the lower ball joint? Pic/diagram would be awesome.

Yes, this is for an Evora. Thanks.

#6 ·
That would be basically the area where the suspension upright (hub) attaches to the lower a-arms. Shown roughly by the tip of the yellow triangle in the pic below for the rear of an Evora. Note in this case the lower attachment point for the shock absorber is also in the same area. Best to use a hard rubber pad or some wood between the jack and the jacking point in this area to spread the load and accommodate irregularities between the parts.

Attachments

#8 ·
In futhering this discussion, would we not be able to use the rear subframe crossmember as a jack stand location?

To me, it looks like jack stand point D on the Elise/Exige:

Pop off the diffuser, raise the car & place the stands as so.

Is there any reason this shouldn't be done?

#10 ·
If all else fails.............you could read the manual.

#12 ·
The manual doesnt describle how you can transfer from a jack to a jackstand as per manual only lift points are the same spot. manual does say DO NOT lift from suspension.

#14 ·
#25 ·
Disclaimer: I don't own an Evora YET

but these are good to elevate a car to get a jack underneath cenet front or center back. Then place jackstands at four corner jack points

BTW...I'm in tupelo....do you got to ATL for Lotus dealer services??

Thanks

George

#26 ·
No place to put jacks underneath the center of the Evora that I'm aware of. At least none without removing the trays under the car.

#29 ·
Squidward posted that these would not work due to their size I believe. And at $600 to get the car all off the ground, it's a bit expensive.

Seems to me there would be something out there that would allow you to get all the wheels off the ground for $200-$250.

#34 ·
Don't know if it will line up on the lift points besides long. span, lateral spacing
G is different front and rear. Also, how will you pull the under pans.

#33 ·
What if the jack points on it don't match up to the ones under the car? It would be the same as using your floor jack at that point. The web page shows the length of it as 46 inches. No idea what the distance is between the pads under the Evora.

#37 ·
I ordered a set of jackpoint jack stands today
Did you order the low profile? Which pad? Definitely post a review when you get them. Squidward didn't think they would work due to the size of the stand and the location of the lift point. Sure hope it does - it would be an ideal solution.

James

#36 ·
Since this tread is active, I used to have a 1959 Lotus Elite. For those not familiar, it is a fiberglass monocoque chassis Three fiberglass molds bonded together with no other supports. There were a couple of jack points where there was a reenforced area where the doors and windshield were mounted.

When I had to get it onto stands, I would drive the car onto a ramp. From there, I had a 2x6 board, with some carpet tacked on, that was cut to the length that ran width of the car. I using a standard floor jack, I lifted the car from the center with that board and placed jacks under the boards at the appropriate jack points.

So, this worked because the bottom of the Lotus Elite was flat. I haven't had the Evora up in the air yet, but I will eventually. Any reason this would not work or cause damage? Note the Elite was around 1500lbs total.

#38 ·
Ordered comb of pads, normal height and recessed. Figure normal height pads gets car up higher and worst comes to worst I drive up on boards or my race ramps to get clearance.

#39 ·
This worked for me:

I bought a jack set from AC Delco for $50, and it includes the floor jack, two stands and a set of wheel chocks. I use a wood strip (actually a stake) which I position in the groove along the jack point and lower my car onto it.

Just be careful and pay close attentionto the other wheels so that you don't jack the car too high on one side at once otherwise you'll find both the rear tire AND passenger of the ground which is very dangerous. I admit I did this promptly lowered the jack so that the rear wheel sat down. But as for the method the stake distributed the weight nicely along the chassis.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.