Larini install today--early report - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Larini install today--early report

Did the install today. Sounds amazing--very "nasty" in a nice way! MY12S built in Nov 2011 DOES have the middle resonator pipe. We replaced that with the Larini pipe and then the muffler. Weighed both and it saves almost 20 lbs. Got the valved one and interestingly, valve on/off does not make much difference in the sound--certainly not relative to the stock muffler. At idle it is fine, on the freeway cruising at under 3k rpms also about same as stock. On hard acceleration it sounds just fantastic. Shinoo took video both in and outside the car and will post on his site Welcome to Sector 111, home of Lotus Elise Aftermarket Performance Parts and Exhaust Accessories.. Shinoo and his team were fantastic to work with. There was one surprise which I will try to get up to show, but essentially the diameter of the rods that attach to the mounts on the stock had a welded "collar" on them such that they were about 3x the diameter of the larini (about the size of a pencil); Had to essentially get these off the stock muffler and get them on the larini--guys did a great job and worked fine. Hard to know if Larini screwed up or if Lotus just changed it and nobody knew. Either way, something to consider is that you may have to get the diffuser off and check this before you know for sure. Shinoo is in contact with larini to let them know. Good news is that everything else fit fine. Larini supplies a longer tube to actuate the valve since the location is just a bit different, but again worked fine. Oh, and finally lots of pops and burbles when you come off the throttle. Nobody will believe that this thing is a 6 cylinder from a Camry. I really like V8 engine sounds, but this thing sounds almost as good as my Ferrari 355. I am thrilled. Now it sounds like it performs. I will try to answer any questions and will post some pics, but thought I would get a quick summary up.
97 Porsche Boxster, 99 Porsche 996,
martinm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very glad to hear you are happy with the way it sounds.

I ordered the valved Larini S exhaust and S pipe about a month ago and had emailed them earlier today to get an ETA. They originally said 2-4 weeks. Today they said they will have a better idea tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the welded on collar. I will have to look out for that on mine when it shows up and see if it is missing or not. (Not sure if there is a difference between your 2012 and my 2011) I don't want to have to modify my stock exhaust to fit the Larini in case I ever want to go back to stock. I ordered the Larini for its bolt on capability.

Can't wait to hear it on Sector111's site. Thanks for posting an update.
2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm1 View Post
There was one surprise which I will try to get up to show, but essentially the diameter of the rods that attach to the mounts on the stock had a welded "collar" on them such that they were about 3x the diameter of the larini (about the size of a pencil); Had to essentially get these off the stock muffler and get them on the larini--guys did a great job and worked fine. Hard to know if Larini screwed up or if Lotus just changed it and nobody knew. Either way, something to consider is that you may have to get the diffuser off and check this before you know for sure. Shinoo is in contact with larini to let them know.
I was just looking at the updated Evora Parts list from October 2012: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9205008/Evor...%202012-10.pdf

If you look at pages 353 and 354, it appears that the overall diameter of the mounting rod for MY 2011 and 2012 are different. From the diagram, it indeed looks like there is a collar mounted on the mounting rod for 2012.

Last edited by 2011 chrome orange; 11-06-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: made mistake
Old 11-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Amazing! I guess I know what my first mod will be. Does the car have a symphony sound to it? Or is it just loud? Please give us some pics with your phone and a short video, the anticipation is killing me! Also you purchased the Larini decat pipe as well correct? Did you get straight pipe or the one with the high flowing cat?
ddotderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just saw the clip on youtube!!!! OMG it sounds AMAZING!!!!!! I am ordering one asap.
ddotderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

Great post!

Question: Has anyone here installed the Larni exhaust system on a natural aspirated Evora? If so, what are your impressions?
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-ray View Post
Great post!

Question: Has anyone here installed the Larni exhaust system on a natural aspirated Evora? If so, what are your impressions?
Did that about 2 years ago, and couldn't be happier .

I first checked the kit out on Shinoo's "company car" and then had the job done here in the Bay Area by Rob Dietsch.

I would characterize the sound as mellow--but authoritative! No issues with drone, etc while cruising.
'13 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design
JLSELISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the link that Shinoo uploaded to youtube.
Sector111 YouTube Channel - YouTube
It is a pretty good representation. Of course it sounds pretty crazy just behind the car and with windows down under hard acceleration, but if you are just cruising in an area where you don't want to scare little children and old ladies then it can be fairly quiet. At speed on the freeway frankly not much different than stock.

Also the post above with the parts list attached is spot on. On page 353 of the pdf the illustration 1a is what is on a MY 2011 and also what my Larini exhaust was like. It appears they changed it in MY12 to the larger diameter with a welded on collar as you can see in 1b and 1c. I would encourage those looking at this to give Shinoo a call and see what he has found out from Larini. It is possible that they just didn't make the change for MY12 or also possible of course that it could depend on each car and when it was built. Now that I was the guinea pig for this at least Shinoo and his team know how to make it work, but it does require a bit of "metal work" and some welding of the "stock collar" onto the larini so it fits tightly in the mounting bracket. Another reminder is that if you follow this approach then the stock muffler will need to then be modified by adding back the collar--not really a big deal, but unless Larini has made the change then it is not quite as simple as we would like. Even with the twist we encountered, it was all done in about 3 hours. Sector 111's crew is very meticulous and did a great job. They were very careful with the install and even wrapped the new tubing for the valve in gold heat reflective material and made sure it was secured and not touching any part of the exhaust.

Sorry, one last note, I think someone asked about the "decat" pipe and yes I replaced that pipe as well. Just to be clear this is a resonator and not a catalytic converter. the cats and O2 sensors are upstream of this pipe. It would be interesting to see how much difference removing that pipe makes in the sound, but at this point unless my HOA complains about the noise then I don't expect I will every get the chance to find out!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

I just did this same install last week and the sound is "EROTIC"!!! I also have the Radium CAI. In normal driving it is totally benign, just a bit crisper and less muffled. Under WOT the sound is truly exotic! The wife even thought the car sounded MUCH better now!!! Now that's a good wife!!!
11 BMW Xdrive35d, Vermillion Red w/Cinnamon Brown Leather
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D699995_0959313_8019849

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D699995_0959313_8019965

Here are a couple of links to more sound files. I recorded these with my iphone. One with stock/sport mode on my MY12 Evora S manual and the other with the Larini. The clicking sound is the blinker while sitting at the light. These are a bit more subdued since i was not quite as aggressive on the throttle given the busy public street.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

I just emailed Shinoo to make sure mine comes through with the right ends since my S is a 2011 and should have the smaller diameter based on the Evora Parts list.

Thanks again for pointing that out. You probably saved me quite a bit of installation time. BTY, your car sounds great. Now I can't wait for mine to show up!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

You are very welcome. Yes, it looks like you should be good with a 2011, but as a 4x Lotus owner, you just never know for sure until the diffuser is off and they see what was actually installed. Good news is that everything else fit very nicely. The stock muffler and resonator are huge. there is a lot of extra space around the larini after install which should also help with cooling. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

I told you this would be the best set-up. My car is a NA Evora with the same set up and I get so many complements.. The Larni delete pipe with an aftermarket exhaust makes the motor sound so much better
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just heard back from Shinoo (He is very quick with his responses!!) who had a great idea if the ends are wrong: "The easy fix is to order item #9 below as it will work with the Larini hangar."

He is referring to the Lotus exhaust hanger which is different for MY2012 (part# 09 vs 09a).
Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)

sounds great. Uncorking these cars really really benefits them!
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone done an in-person side-by-side of the Larini muffler + decat and the Lotus Sport muffler + decat? I have the Lotus sport + larini decat and think it sounds pretty fantastic. Just wondering how it compares to the OP's setup.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

stock vs larini install pic

Thanks for Shinoo at Sector111 for providing this pic. Before/after comparison

Name:  Stock vs Larini.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  202.9 KB
Old 11-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #18 (permalink)

I can't compare the Evoras, but on my Elise
the difference between the Lotus Stage 2 and the various Larini products was significant
11 BMW Xdrive35d, Vermillion Red w/Cinnamon Brown Leather
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgelise View Post
I can't compare the Evoras, but on my Elise
the difference between the Lotus Stage 2 and the various Larini products was significant
In what way?
bfm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Sounds great - I am still a bit partial to more sound though

Like this:

Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora