Larini install today--early report - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #21 (permalink)

I have pirated the picture above to describe a problem I had with my Larini pipe. I attempted to describe the problem in another thread, but a picture will help:

Name:  StockvsLarini-West.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  93.0 KB

In the photo, the red circle highlights a short tab that is welded at one end to the pipe coming from the resonator (I had thought it was a small cat-- learn something new every day) and at the other end to the LH stay. On my pipe, the weld to the stay rod was very poor and had cracked. This allowed the pipe to bounce enough that the stay rod itself eventually cracked, at the bend where it is welded to the body of the muffler (yellow circle).

The fix was to remove the pipe, line everything up nicely, and weld it properly. I've done something like 7000 miles since the repair, and it's doing fine.

I did email Larini about this issue, so maybe current versions to not have this problem. Mine was a very early production item-- whether that makes a difference, I can't say, just noting it for the record.

And it does make a wonderful noise. Not at all loud or antisocial; you can burble around town without irritating the locals, but get it above 5k and whoa baby!
West-of-Hethel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 06:40 AM   #22 (permalink)

Garage
Logistical question for any of you with the Larini exhaust and resonator delete pipe for the Evora S:

Are the boxes that they ship it in small enough such that they will fit in the car? Reason I ask is I am most likely going to have my dealer install the exhaust and delete pipe, so trying to figure out if I can have them shipped to my house and jam them in the Evora, or if I need to drop ship them to the dealer if they're too big to fit inside the car.
texevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #23 (permalink)

Garage
I've been wondering the same thing. I'll shoot Shinoo and e-mail as I'm waiting for my slash tips to arrive. ETA: Mid-January build from Larini with delivery in early February. Oval tips are in stock.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #24 (permalink)
Switchblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post

The fix was to remove the pipe, line everything up nicely, and weld it properly. I've done something like 7000 miles since the repair, and it's doing fine.
Sorry for this trouble. I was just made aware of this issue. Please contact us directly if possible so I can discuss with you. I have not seen any other failures and want to understand this clearly.
Facebook, YouTube, Twitter
shinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'm not sure that the box from Larini will fit, but there again I didn't try it. I think the exhaust will fit in the front seat (if removed from the box) with the seat back and some blankets down.

I did try to put my stock exhaust in the Larini box after I removed it and it did not fit with the cat/resonator attached (I removed it assembled as one unit).

Even if you drop ship it, you probably will have to bring the stock unit back home in the front seat anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
2011 chrome orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
I've been wondering the same thing. I'll shoot Shinoo and e-mail as I'm waiting for my slash tips to arrive. ETA: Mid-January build from Larini with delivery in early February. Oval tips are in stock.
I heard from Shinoo. The Larini will even fit in the front seat.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #27 (permalink)

Garage
Just did my Larini install yesterday on my MY12 Evora S. Huge thanks to Fasttoys for his help (in reality it was him doing most of the work and me holding the light and trying not to trip over myself).

I wasn't sure if I would need the resonator delete as I had heard that late model MY12s no longer had the resonator. That is NOT the case (at least on mine, which is a May 2012 build date). Mine had the resonator.

Also, MartinM was precisely right about the rubber hanger mounts. You WILL need to order the older hanger mount style (specifically, Lotus part #B132S0088F, should be about $25 shipped from your dealer). Would have been a huge bummer to do all the work of taking the old muffler off and then realizing the rubber hanger mount was the wrong size.

In any case, start to finish was about 2 hours (with 2 people. I don't know how people are doing this solo without going absolutely insane). The pictures in the non-S Larini install thread are spot-on. The only difference is that the S model obviously has a different style diffuser. I would recommend taping the inner sides of the outermost fins of the diffuser with packing/painters tape to avoid nicks/scrapes. Also, the two hex bolts just below the license plate holding up the diffuser are tough to get at with 90 degree hex keys. I would recommend using hex screwdrivers that can be used at an angle.

As far as the exhaust note with the Larini installed, I would say it's a dramatic improvement over stock. Idling is a deeper rumble, but not obnoxious at all. Below 3,000rpm/cruising, I would say it's about as tame as stock, but hitting the gas/above 3K is where you hear a big difference. I would say 4K and above under load the engine screams (in a very very good way). Zero "drone" of any kind (a la rice rockets with fart cans). Some popping/burbling as revs fall back to idle when coming out of gear.

All in, very very happy with the Larini so far.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #28 (permalink)

Garage
And yes, the Larini will fit in the front seat (if you unpack it from the box). Also, the old exhaust w/ valve and resonator attached will fit in the front seat as well. Obviously bring old sheets or something to wrap it in before putting in your beloved Evora.

Also, you will need to seal off the vacuum line if you buy the larini without valve (which is the route I chose). We just ziptied the disconnected end to the anti-roll bar.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #29 (permalink)

Garage
The 3rd Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by texevora View Post
I wasn't sure if I would need the resonator delete as I had heard that late model MY12s no longer had the resonator. That is NOT the case (at least on mine, which is a May 2012 build date). Mine had the resonator.
Just to be clear, we must clear up this misnomer that the third cat is not a cat and that it may not even be there in US 2012 onward cars.
All US cars are fitted with the secondary catalytic converter (it is “not a resonator”).

Note text extract and diagrams below, extracted from the Lotus service Notes:
“System C – 12MY vehicles For non federal [that is non USA] vehicles the secondary under floor catalytic converter is replaced with a link pipe …
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 3rd Cat a.pdf (232.4 KB, 98 views)
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

Anybody with an Evora S should run not walk to get a Larini on their car! The sound is just amazing. Shinoo at Sector111 noted that it is the best sounding Lotus he has ever heard and I must agree. In fact, one of the best sounding sports cars I have heard period. It lends a lot of character to the car. No way a 6 cylinder street car should sound this good. I can vouch for Sector 111 to order and do the work if you are in the Southern California area or obviously as noted above, a reasonably proficient owner can also do it (I am not one of those by the way so I had Shinoo's team do it)
97 Porsche Boxster, 99 Porsche 996,
martinm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #31 (permalink)

Garage
thanks for the clarification Julian73.

Since it is a cat and not a resonator, I'd love to hear from any Evora owners with the 3rd cat delete pipe that have already done emissions testing. I'm operating under the assumption that even without the 3rd cat there should be no issue.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

Have not emissions testing, but the 02 sensors are prior to the "2nd cat" so I am not sure if that matters, but certainly interested in any other experience. Key is to just keep the old exhaust and if the car doesn't pass then just re-install and try again--and then of course replace again for the next xxxx years.
97 Porsche Boxster, 99 Porsche 996,
martinm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #33 (permalink)

Texevora it was fun working on the Evora S exhaust. You should have no issue with-out the 3rd Cat/resonator. I would like a ride so I can hear the new exhaust... Enjoy it and i will see you soon.

Last edited by fasttoys; 02-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #34 (permalink)

Bring it to the F/W cars and coffee type show next weekend if you can - I'd love to hear it.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #35 (permalink)

Garage
will do my best to make it. hope to see yall there.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #36 (permalink)
Elise Driver

Interesting to hear that the ECU accepts the vacuum line just being clamped?

On the valved performance exhaust in question, once the valve closes, the gases are diverted away from the main silencer and into virtually a straight pipe. If you don't have the valved system, the silencer will take the full stress of a +350whp SC'd motor at all times.
Given that there is a problem keeping the packing inside a +280whp SC 2zz-ge install, I'm keen to hear how your system gets on?

Performance exhausts for 2zz-ge Elise & Exige at
www.2bular.co.uk
2bular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #37 (permalink)

Garage
According to the Lotus Service Note, the fail safe mod of the value (ie no vacuum signal) is the bypass value is open (lower restriction)
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #38 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone near San Diego wanna meet up for a quick minute so I can hear it?!?! I'm very close to pulling the trigger!!

'03 Porsche 911 Cabriolet - Silver/Blue
'12 NA Lotus Evora IPS - AR/Cognac (sold)
'04 Cadillac Escalade - Silver/Grey
'11 Mercedes C63 AMG - Blk/Blk (sold)
'07 Mercedes E350 - White/Cream (sold)
'05 BMW 530i - Silver/Blk (sold)
'05 Lotus Elise SC- AR/Blk (sold)
'05 Acura TL - Blk/Blk (sold)
'00 BMW M Coupe - Yellow/Blk (sold)
'99 BMW 325i - Green/Tan (sold)
bigbird06815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird06815 View Post
Anyone near San Diego wanna meet up for a quick minute so I can hear it?!?! I'm very close to pulling the trigger!!
I have the full 2Bular Header-Downpipe-Metallic Cat, with Lotus Sport Muffler set up.

I'm in SD, if you want to hear that combination.
Bobsy Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #40 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsy Racer View Post
I have the full 2Bular Header-Downpipe-Metallic Cat, with Lotus Sport Muffler set up.

I'm in SD, if you want to hear that combination.
That'd be great! You avail this weekend sometime?! How much did all of that set you back? Including install $ if you didn't do it yourself. Thanks!

'03 Porsche 911 Cabriolet - Silver/Blue
'12 NA Lotus Evora IPS - AR/Cognac (sold)
'04 Cadillac Escalade - Silver/Grey
'11 Mercedes C63 AMG - Blk/Blk (sold)
'07 Mercedes E350 - White/Cream (sold)
'05 BMW 530i - Silver/Blk (sold)
'05 Lotus Elise SC- AR/Blk (sold)
'05 Acura TL - Blk/Blk (sold)
'00 BMW M Coupe - Yellow/Blk (sold)
'99 BMW 325i - Green/Tan (sold)
bigbird06815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora