Leather Cleaner - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:59 AM   #21 (permalink)

I have used Lexol for a very long time and loved it.

I still do use it for just about everything..but I decided to give the mothers leathertech stuff a try on my seats and sills..

I was blow away by the amount of brown dirt that was coming off on my microfiber towel, compared to the lexol cleaner. The cream cleanser stays very flat, doesn't get greasy and absorbs nicely to soften the leather. I would say the lexol makes the leather a bit softer, but can be waayyy to sticky/greasy, so I have to let it sit forever after buffing out, and even then in the humidity here it stays sticky. The mothers is no problem. Big bonus is the mothers smells amazing

this is in reference to both brands' cleaner and conditioner used together...

I am going to continue using both-the lexol spray makes it easier to apply and it is a bit cheaper for the parts that don't get as dirty/much use. I am going to stick with the mothers for the seats and sills as I am really happy with the results
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alp View Post
The die-hard stuff is Connolly Hide Food. This one you really need to rub into the leather. Let sit and "melt" into leather. Then buff off. I have seen this stuff done wonders to minor scuff marks as well.

Trust me, the good stuff goes a long way.
A second for the Connally Hide Food. It works better when purchased through Moss Motors:

MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars

I have been using Hide Food on my Land Rover and Lotus for years now, and it keeps the leather soft and supple. Fill up on Lucas Wire Harness Smoke while you are at it.

BTW, the Lexol stuff will slowly darken the leather. Not a problem on black cars, but I would be wary using Lexol on any lighter colors leather.

Last edited by Zinhead; 06-12-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Zinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #23 (permalink)
tmr

I really like Zaino products and their leather cleaner (Z-9) and conditioner (Z-10) work great:

Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner: Zaino Store

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle: Zaino Store

I have no greasy residue and the cleaner works great. Like all other Zaino products I've used, the stuff smells good as well.
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinhead View Post
A second for the Connally Hide Food. It works better when purchased through Moss Motors:

MossMotors.com - Restoration Parts And Accessories For British Cars

I have been using Hide Food on my Land Rover and Lotus for years now, and it keeps the leather soft and supple. Fill up on Lucas Wire Harness Smoke while you are at it.

BTW, the Lexol stuff will slowly darken the leather. Not a problem on black cars, but I would be wary using Lexol on any lighter colors leather.
I found this post while trying to decide what product to use on my leather and I see this post by Zinhead. I looked at his car while looking for a Lotus to buy and one of the things I noticed was how nice his leather seats looked. I guess I know what I'm buying!
2005 Elise Ardent Red, sport, touring, hard top, soft top, starshield, Braille battery, Sector 111 shift reinforcer, battery box (w/shutoff), micro mirror, and gPAN3. Stan's clutch mod and shifter re-enforcer. Carbotech XP-8 F/R w/Castrol SRF & SS brake lines.
Tomiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

RTFM guys refer to page 102 of the manual it says, the manufacturers of the the leather do not recommend the use of any hide 'food' and prohibit the use of detergents or furniture creams and polishes.

if you have to the manual states just use toilet soap or soap flakes to clean the leather then use fresh water and polish with a dry cloth......
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 02:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
RTFM guys refer to page 102 of the manual it says, the manufacturers of the the leather do not recommend the use of any hide 'food' and prohibit the use of detergents or furniture creams and polishes.

if you have to the manual states just use toilet soap or soap flakes to clean the leather then use fresh water and polish with a dry cloth......
+1
I was going to reply saying the same thing, but I'm glad you did.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
+1
I was going to reply saying the same thing, but I'm glad you did.
Phew I did wonder if I was going to get flamed, I am not innocent as I have used products years ago and did find that the leather seemed to change (for the worse) over a period of time now I find it just needs a little clean as described and seems fine
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #28 (permalink)

A little flame:
There is a difference of cleaning a dirty leather seat or attempting to nourish the leather.
Basic rule: leather is a natural product and does not like water. If you do, dry it well and use a leatherSEATS adviced product. (No attempt in giving advice in that, done it before, but my favorites are not for sale in the US. Zymol sounds good). The thing in the manual (to my opinion) applies for heavy, dirty seats, as a first step in cleaning. And got nothing to do with proper leathermaintenance.
Btw (i do not want to sound flaming): we, the Lotus enthousiast, all ignore a lot of Lotus maintenance/repair/OEM stuff, because we find that in the real world, our cars are great, but better stuff then originally advised is for sale.
Great reason to mistrust the owner's manual now too...
Second: not all leathers are the same. Shoepolish will do the job, as what shoe polish does to your shoes. But you don't sit on your shoes, the shoes are not in the sun all day, and most shoes are thrown away after 2 years anyway. So why compare products if the application is different?

Ps: yes, i do not own an Evora or the manual.
No, my truth is not THE truth. Only the internet has the truth.
Yes: i have tried my share of carcare stuff. Some cheap stuff works, some don't. I do not take risks anymore.

CarbonElise
CarbonElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #29 (permalink)

Ps: the detergent and 'hide' food note of the manual IS correct.

Please ignore this advice if you are a hardhead:-)

CarbonElise
CarbonElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #30 (permalink)

I just picked up some leatherique and will probably hit my interior before the summer. I found this tutorial online with respect to application etc. and it seems helpful for others uses as well:

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-P...r-care-how-to/

Any other recommendations with this product?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic - DONATED
Z-dculus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:23 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-dculus View Post
I just picked up some leatherique and will probably hit my interior before the summer. I found this tutorial online with respect to application etc. and it seems helpful for others uses as well:

Leatherique Leather Care How-To | Ask a Pro Blog

Any other recommendations with this product?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Its a great product. I use gloves to apply it then put the car out in the heat all day. Then use the cleaner to remove the oil and your done. I feel it kept my dash from cracking.

Last edited by fasttoys; 01-12-2014 at 08:43 PM.
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

I use Adams. I've been happy with their cleaner followed by their conditioner. Haven't been using it long though.
LenMcC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora