The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LiPOFe4(Lithium Iron) Battery for my Evora

56K views 187 replies 43 participants last post by  shakham 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a plan to add lightness my evora for track day upto 250lbs.
Step by step....

Start -> 3042lbs without driver with full fuel.
-sporst exhaust and decat - 25lbs
-radium open air filer - 3lbs
-lithium iron battery - 32lbs
-----------------------------total 60lbs ....now
-carbon seat - 25lbs
-de-seat passenger's seat - 40lbs
-weds tc105n 18inch tire f/r - 40lbs
-2piece brake rotor f/r - 20lbs
-------------------------------found 125kbs...now
shoud find 65lbs
---------------------------------------------------------------End 2792lbs

I searched for many light battery for automotive.
Sector111's braille battery was nice but very expensive.

I found other products, Lithium pros.
They are cheaper($500~$1000).

But I found cheapest one.

Shoraipower made a cheapest Lithium Iron battery I found.
Largest one is 12V , 36AH equiv. $315 from batterystuff.com.
1/3 of braille battery(90AH) and half of OEM battery.
Weight is below 5lbs. Braille is 10lbs and OEM is 37lbs.

Shorai said they made in China but Japan technology.

I tested to my small hatchback for two week. No problem.
So I put it on to my Evora.

Starting is Good and Powerful.
No need to mod for install.

I generally drive my evora once a week. Sometimes I don't drive a month.
I will test it and repost it again.

Attachments

See less See more
#44 ·
That is what I read, maybe some are still around.

#45 ·
Well hopefully some of the guys will chime in soon with a long-term update as I want to order the battery in the Next couple of days. BTW, I'm going with the largest one that they make (I believe Lynn got this version). My car is a DD and I need to know that running all of my other electronics isn't going to be an issue long-term. I know some of the guys went with smaller ones, but the weight difference at that point was nominal.

#52 ·
I've had the LFX36A3-BS12 (540 CCA) for about 8 months. Until 3 weeks ago, I had zero problems. Right after my new stereo install (Pioneer App Radio) I was out goofing around with the radio in the garage when suddenly the car lost battery power completely. Hooked up the Shorai charger and the battery wouldn't charge. Spoke with the folks at Shorai (super nice, btw) and they immediately suspected bad firmware in the charger. They sent me a return label and I shipped it in for an update. Haven't received the charger back yet, but will report here when I do. Hopefully it was just my goofing around with my new stereo for too long (door open, ignition on, engine off) that drained the battery.

When switching it out for my old lead acid, I was shocked again at the weight difference. This Shorai is lighter than a 6 pack.

#46 ·
Well I have had the shorai installed for over 6 or 7 months. Zero problems. The longest I left my car without starting was for 6 days came back and she turned over perfectly. I had two and thought of wiring them I parallel. But it doesn't seem I need it so I recently sold it.

#64 ·
Asulil, have you thought about using a combiner on the second one? The batteries will be combined on start but use only one during the drive while charging both. This way the car can be left for months and still start up as the second battery will be fully charged as these batteries self-discharge at a rate of 1-3% per year (depending on temp).

#67 ·
Well I considered a parallel configuration, and as a sailor i understand the configuration you propose. However it seems totally unnecessary. i cannot imagine a scenario where i would leave my cars for months with the battery connected. The great thing about this battery is that it takes me 1 minutes to remove it from the car and hook it up to a trickle charger.

I want to repeat I have had no problem with capacity.

for anyone interested:

Shorai FAQ

#49 ·
Pretty much, yeah cost.

I'm going for the biggest Shorai which has 540 CCA and it's going to run me about $315 based on my prelim research. You can get a standard lead acid replacement for anything from as little as $75 (for junk) to about $150+ for a nice high-end brand.

#50 ·
So do I hear it right that Chimera is out of business. ALI DIDN'T..................

#51 ·
Well it's done. I ordered it: LFX36L3-BS12

It's the largest one they make and it still only weighs 4.96 lbs. BTW, I ordered it from Batterystuff.com and it was $315 shipped. I actually wanted to order it from Shorai, but they show it as out of stock and more expensive. So Batterystuff won out. Pics to follow upon arrival/install.

#54 ·
Maybe 15 mins that time. However, cumulatively over that day and the couple prior - probably an hour or more with minimal driving. It didn't seem egregious to me, but in fairness it is a motorcycle battery. 90% sure this is user error. Of course the bad firmware in the charger (if that proves to be the only problem) is a little disappointing. So far Shorai has stood behind the product.

Also, FWIW, I'm running LED's everywhere.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#55 ·
LED's definitely helped but are the Chimera batteries still available? facebook page there etc. That sounds like best combination of weight savings and battery longevity to me

#57 ·
Well it's done, Shorai installed. The pics below are in the following order: 1) the little beast 2) Comparison shot (for once, smaller is better!) 3) one of the cleanest battery compartments and trays, I must say 4) a shot of how clean the cables were and 5) an installed pic.

Basically, the only extra stuff I purchased were the 2 velcro straps ($6 for both @ Home Depot), and some anti-corrosion gel. Overall, easy install and great weight savings. Let's just hope it holds up!

Attachments

#60 ·
I'm not sure on the weight but as we retrofit the fleet there are good deals on slightly used 787 batteries ;-)

#63 ·
Taylor, a tip for you. Order the same battery but with the polarity reversed. This will allow you to mount it flat on its back which would be even more stable. I made the mistake of ordering the factory polarity lay out (with the battery standing up). Then when I got it, I realized mounting it on its back would be better, but requires the polarity to be reversed.

I was tempted to send it right back and order a new one, but I'm impatient! I'm not worried about it, as the velcro holds it nice and tight upright and it really is uber light!

#65 ·
You could still flip your battery on its back with your polarity. You could use some of the spacer foam to move the battery away from the inner wall of the battery cubbyhole and you should still be able to get to the posts if needed for charging/jumpstarting (if the Evora jumps from the battery). The velcro then goes from left to right underneath the cables and the battery sits lower.

With the polarity reversed and the battery on its back, the negative cable looks just barely long enough to connect. Obviously the access to the posts would be better.

San

#71 ·
You can also charge through the boots cig. plug.

#73 ·
An aside but never quite clear on this, is the Chimera battery still around or did the company die ??

#77 · (Edited)
Quick update, good news and bad news on the Shorai.

The bad news is the battery can't take the parasitic draw any better than a lead acid battery. I was away for just under 3 weeks and came back to completely dead battery (nothing, not even a faint light some where). I guess I already knew this, but was hoping the lithium based battery would hold up better.

The good news is, unlike most lead acid batteries that would probably be toast (i.e. not re-chargeable) if fully drained to the bone, the Shorai, fired right up with a jump and had enough of a charge with just 45 mins. of driving and idling to fire back up a few hours later.

I really should put it back on a trickle charger, but I drive 80 miles every day at fwy speed and it seems to do the trick for re-charging. Overall, still very pleased with it, just have to remember to disconnect it if I'm gone for more than a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.