The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LiPOFe4(Lithium Iron) Battery for my Evora

56K views 187 replies 43 participants last post by  shakham 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a plan to add lightness my evora for track day upto 250lbs.
Step by step....

Start -> 3042lbs without driver with full fuel.
-sporst exhaust and decat - 25lbs
-radium open air filer - 3lbs
-lithium iron battery - 32lbs
-----------------------------total 60lbs ....now
-carbon seat - 25lbs
-de-seat passenger's seat - 40lbs
-weds tc105n 18inch tire f/r - 40lbs
-2piece brake rotor f/r - 20lbs
-------------------------------found 125kbs...now
shoud find 65lbs
---------------------------------------------------------------End 2792lbs

I searched for many light battery for automotive.
Sector111's braille battery was nice but very expensive.

I found other products, Lithium pros.
They are cheaper($500~$1000).

But I found cheapest one.

Shoraipower made a cheapest Lithium Iron battery I found.
Largest one is 12V , 36AH equiv. $315 from batterystuff.com.
1/3 of braille battery(90AH) and half of OEM battery.
Weight is below 5lbs. Braille is 10lbs and OEM is 37lbs.

Shorai said they made in China but Japan technology.

I tested to my small hatchback for two week. No problem.
So I put it on to my Evora.

Starting is Good and Powerful.
No need to mod for install.

I generally drive my evora once a week. Sometimes I don't drive a month.
I will test it and repost it again.

Attachments

See less See more
#86 · (Edited)
Checking in to see if I can get the Shorai power owners to chime in with status updates. It looks like mine might be coming to slow death. Back in May, I went on vacation and left the car for 3 weeks completely draining it, but got it to fire with a jump.

Today, after sitting all day at the office, I noticed when I got in the car and had to get out again for something I forgot, the window didn't go all the way up, then the passenger door did the same. I know this is a common sign of low voltage and a weak battery.

So, how's everyone else's Shorai holding up? I think I may have just fried it by completely draining it back in May. I just read the instructions, and it said to never let the charge drop under 12 volts.

#87 ·
Checking in to see if I can get the Shorai power owners to chime in with status updates. It looks like mine might be coming to slow death. Back in May, I went on vacation and left the car for 3 weeks completely draining it, but got it to fire with a jump.

Today, after sitting all day at the office, I noticed when I got in the car and had to get out again for something I forgot, the window didn't go all the way up, then the passenger door did the same. I know this is a common sign of low voltage and a weak battery.

So, how's everyone else's Shorai holding up? I think I may have just fried it by completely draining it back in May. I just read the instructions, and it aid to never let the charge drop under 12 volts.
ouch... which battery would you buy next?

I would suggest maybe a deep cycle battery but even then, discharging it 100% will still reduce it's life. You're probably better off buying the same battery again but putting in a $6 cut off switch for the occasional haitus from driving.

#88 ·
I just plug mine into a battery tender whenever I know I won't be driving for a few days, sure beats a dead battery.

#95 ·
My Odyssey 625 ran flawlessly for 5+yrs in my Elise. (Notice most folks had 680's or Brailles) While I won't go that small in my Evora, unless someone points out a better more reliable option, next year I'm going with another Odyssey. Pretty good weight l;oss and excellent reliability esp if kept on a tender as needed.

#97 ·
625 actually had more CCA but less reserve than the 680 I believe. Battery tender 500mA is plenty for it (The motorcycle unit.

#98 ·
just jumping in as I was casually browsing a comment a few weeks old....

the ECU keeps the spark tables even if power is lost. IOT reset the tables you have to use a koldfire cable or use a Lotus computer..and then you're supposed to follow the 10 min idle, easy drive progressing to varying throttle conditions, then 10 min idle and shut off in order to get a good healthy curve. I'm sure you could get away without doing that, but it'll take a few hundred miles my guess in order to get all the conditions/parameters it is looking for.

I know a tender isn't for everyone, but I keep mine on always. After my Varta ate **** last time I was on a long business trip, even on a tender (albeit not as nice of one) I switched to the Deka EXT14L and a battery tender..I can get a good 6 or so turnovers of the engine from a full battery before it starts to get weak. Haven't "tested the limits" as far as retaining a charge, but I did switch everything to LEDs too to be safe

#99 ·
#100 ·
I saw that in the brochure that was posted earlier. Looks to have very similar CCA specs to the stock lead acid battery and very cool that Lotus endorses it. However, this option is another one of the many that have tried to sell at close to $1000 and have failed. Outside of a small minority, most people will go with one of the many considerably cheaper routes.

#102 ·
Anyone tried an Odyssey in car yet??

#104 · (Edited)
Given you're using a PC680 on an Elise and this happens to be an Evora forum. So I don't think your experience is applicable. The Evora has a considerably larger engine and greater number of amenities that drain more power...

The PC680 is rather inadequate in terms of reserve power unless you don't mind keeping the battery on a tender and drive it at least every other day. (I'm speaking from experience). The PC680 name is a bit misleading because it's peak cranking amps.. The Cold Cranking Amps is actually 200. You need a battery with at least 600+ CCA. Reserve power? Well, that's up to you.

#105 ·
That's why I'm leaning towards a full sized Odyssey unless One of these Li batteries steps up for less than the $1800 Braille at Sector 111

#106 ·
if you're looking for CCA this is one of the better options, even compared to some of the more expensive batteries

YTX12-24 | Antigravity Batteries

Only 25 ah but I am running an EXT14L with 325 CCA (the CCA listed varies wildly depending on where you look, I've seen everywhere from 200-425) can't remember the aH...but I can turn my car over to start 4 times without any weakening...on the 5th turn my voltage starts to drop (my shift-I on the dash tells me my voltage.)

So massive CCA and aH isn't totally a requirement for these cars, though I would definitely recommend it if you live in a cold environment. I have a battery tender that I use to trickle about 50% of the time just for peace of mind, though I think that is definitely more than necessary.

#107 ·
I actually looked at the anti-gravity option as the pricing was similar to the Shorai. However, after a quick google for Antigravity vs. Shorai, the reviews appeared to lean towards Shorai being the more established option. As Invictus has stated, just get the biggest available. I went with the following: LFX36A3-BS12 - Shorai Lithium Batteries It's rated at 540 CCA and basically powers a giant honda Gullwing with all of the lighting, stero and communication radio options. So, it's designed to support a heavy accessary draw unlike some of the other smaller options. Best part is it still only weighs about 5lbs.

#108 · (Edited)
Did the longevity test today

Went out and the car was dead. I should have measured the voltage, but removing the carpet is such a pain.

Anyway, it took 2 weeks to kill the battery with whatever parasitic draw I have.
Trying out some calculations that is only 335 hours or so, way less than the 1000 hours a lead acid battery is supposed to put up with under a 50ma load.
(Presuming the Evora load is anywhere near normal.)

My question is this (on the restore process): The green/yellow lights alternate, indicating <50% capacity. I had it on and within the first hour the car woke up with its little "Happy Birthday" salute of headlights and horn.
Next morning, we are back top green/yellow flashing, but now they flash together, rather than alternating. Have I killed this battery, or keep up with the charging cycles?

Just checked again and measured volts: Up to 13.7v and the charger now says flashing green. Looks like I made it. According to Shorai website, I am within 2 hours of a complete charge.

#109 ·
I often wonder about the flat battery problems so many of you have had. I have regularly left my car standing for 2, even 3 weeks in the garage and it has started without issue every time (knock on wood, make 2 crosses, pray to the great spaghetti monster :DV:, et.al.:bow:). But, I also haven't read anything on the non-US forums about this being a common issue.

On thing I do do is that before and such a break I take the car for a reasonably long trip to make sure the battery is fully realoaded.

#110 · (Edited)
Checked again this morning, and only 12.89 volts, which equates to 20% capacity remaining. Trying to figure out how to do a paracitic draw test, but the way Lotus cars wake up with the light and horn flash will likely blow the fuse in my ammeter. Somehow have to attach the leads to the battery, and then pull the cable without interrupting the current flow.

Plack, did you do a writeup on your battery disconnect switch? Where did you place it/source it/wire type etc.

Update: Checked again this afternoon, and it read 13.0 volts. Guess the Lotus felt guilty and added back some charge. :)

Drove around a bit, maybe 6 exits on the freeway, and we are back to 13.4, so the old ways of the alternator may be stronger than the vaunted charger.
(Why do we need these "Advanced chargers" with their computer controls and 2A max charge current if our dumb old alternator is just gonna dump UMPTEEN amps into the battery when we drive?)

I put my usual trickle charger back on. The Shorai kept giving up, claiming the battery was at less than 50% capacity. Is there a guide to those leds somewhere?

#111 ·
Had another discharge incident. After maybe 10 days, I plugged in the charger Friday night. (Feeling lazy, I did not press any buttons, as it was locked in the trunk.) Left it until Saturday afternoon. Shockingly, it was down to 8.4 volts with the charger attached! Lights were flashing alternately...seems the charger may have drained the battery...or is that the reconditioning process?

Pressing the "Charge" button charged it back to 13volts in just a few hours, I have a nifty new voltmeter which plugs into the cigar lighter in the boot, and it was actually ticking up 0.1 volts per second or so at first.

Drove around Sunday, battery ended up at 13.3 volts (who says these are 12v systems?)
(When you first start the Evora, it runs at 14.1 volts, settling down to 13.3 after warm-up.)

Monitoring it carefully this time, voltage decay:
after 8 hours 13.3 volts.
after 24 hours, 13.2 volts.

So going much better this time. Maybe the battery is FINALLY rehabilitated!

#114 ·
I have the Shorai in my Honda motorcycle, it is amazing. You can't drain it. At some point I'll get around and replace the Lotus battery with one of these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.