LiPOFe4(Lithium Iron) Battery for my Evora - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #61 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lckitty View Post
I'm not sure on the weight but as we retrofit the fleet there are good deals on slightly used 787 batteries ;-)
A little big and heavy
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #62 (permalink)

looks good man, hopefully ill have one of these installed here soon as well.
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #63 (permalink)

Taylor, a tip for you. Order the same battery but with the polarity reversed. This will allow you to mount it flat on its back which would be even more stable. I made the mistake of ordering the factory polarity lay out (with the battery standing up). Then when I got it, I realized mounting it on its back would be better, but requires the polarity to be reversed.

I was tempted to send it right back and order a new one, but I'm impatient! I'm not worried about it, as the velcro holds it nice and tight upright and it really is uber light!
F1 SML8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asulil View Post
Well I have had the shorai installed for over 6 or 7 months. Zero problems. The longest I left my car without starting was for 6 days came back and she turned over perfectly. I had two and thought of wiring them I parallel. But it doesn't seem I need it so I recently sold it.
Asulil, have you thought about using a combiner on the second one? The batteries will be combined on start but use only one during the drive while charging both. This way the car can be left for months and still start up as the second battery will be fully charged as these batteries self-discharge at a rate of 1-3% per year (depending on temp).
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 SML8R View Post
Taylor, a tip for you. Order the same battery but with the polarity reversed. This will allow you to mount it flat on its back which would be even more stable. I made the mistake of ordering the factory polarity lay out (with the battery standing up). Then when I got it, I realized mounting it on its back would be better, but requires the polarity to be reversed.

I was tempted to send it right back and order a new one, but I'm impatient! I'm not worried about it, as the velcro holds it nice and tight upright and it really is uber light!
You could still flip your battery on its back with your polarity. You could use some of the spacer foam to move the battery away from the inner wall of the battery cubbyhole and you should still be able to get to the posts if needed for charging/jumpstarting (if the Evora jumps from the battery). The velcro then goes from left to right underneath the cables and the battery sits lower.

With the polarity reversed and the battery on its back, the negative cable looks just barely long enough to connect. Obviously the access to the posts would be better.

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #66 (permalink)

Tried it San, doesn't work. You need the polarity reversed for it to work.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:50 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidward View Post
Asulil, have you thought about using a combiner on the second one? The batteries will be combined on start but use only one during the drive while charging both. This way the car can be left for months and still start up as the second battery will be fully charged as these batteries self-discharge at a rate of 1-3% per year (depending on temp).
Well I considered a parallel configuration, and as a sailor i understand the configuration you propose. However it seems totally unnecessary. i cannot imagine a scenario where i would leave my cars for months with the battery connected. The great thing about this battery is that it takes me 1 minutes to remove it from the car and hook it up to a trickle charger.

I want to repeat I have had no problem with capacity.

for anyone interested:

Shorai FAQ
Asulil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
The great thing about this battery is that it takes me 1 minutes to remove it from the car and hook it up to a trickle charger.

I want to repeat I have had no problem with capacity.
Thanks Asulil... btw why do you need to remove the battery to hook it to the charger? I have my battery charging cable prewired to the battery and routed under the plastic compartment cover, carpeting and cargo net, residing just underneath the rug.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Asulil... btw why do you need to remove the battery to hook it to the charger? I have my battery charging cable prewired to the battery and routed under the plastic compartment cover, carpeting and cargo net, residing just underneath the rug.

Stock battery but same here
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Tried it San, doesn't work. You need the polarity reversed for it to work.
With the posts towards the back wall of the cubby (negative is still on the left in this scenario)?

San
oldmansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #71 (permalink)

Garage
You can also charge through the boots cig. plug.
'12 Evora S GP Special Edition #1/14 with BOE-KomoTec Stage 1++ (BOE CAI, Custom BOE Tune and Larini Sport on top of KomoTec Stage 1), MS Oil Sump
Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel
New to piston power, my track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #72 (permalink)

San, I didn't want the posts facing the back of the cubby.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #73 (permalink)

An aside but never quite clear on this, is the Chimera battery still around or did the company die ??
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #74 (permalink)

Here's the scoop: Chimera Announcement
Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
because i live in a condo building and park in a garage. BTW i drove the Lotus today, first time since Wednesday, absolutely no problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
because i live in a condo building and park in a garage. BTW i drove the Lotus today, first time since Wednesday, absolutely no problem.
that makes sense... I live in a downtown loft and park outdoors. So yeah I'm sort of in the same predicament.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #77 (permalink)

Quick update, good news and bad news on the Shorai.

The bad news is the battery can't take the parasitic draw any better than a lead acid battery. I was away for just under 3 weeks and came back to completely dead battery (nothing, not even a faint light some where). I guess I already knew this, but was hoping the lithium based battery would hold up better.

The good news is, unlike most lead acid batteries that would probably be toast (i.e. not re-chargeable) if fully drained to the bone, the Shorai, fired right up with a jump and had enough of a charge with just 45 mins. of driving and idling to fire back up a few hours later.

I really should put it back on a trickle charger, but I drive 80 miles every day at fwy speed and it seems to do the trick for re-charging. Overall, still very pleased with it, just have to remember to disconnect it if I'm gone for more than a week.

Last edited by F1 SML8R; 05-28-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #78 (permalink)

I still need to grab one, save a few more pounds and get a few more CCA and capacity, but surprisingly my EXT14L is still working great
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Quick update, good news and bad news on the Shorai.

The bad news is the battery can't take the parasitic draw any better than a lead acid battery. I was away for just under 3 weeks and came back to completely dead battery (nothing, not even a faint light some where). I guess I already knew this, but was hoping the lithium based battery would hold up better.

The good news is, unlike most lead acid batteries that would probably be toast (i.e. not re-chargeable) if fully drained to the bone, the Shorai, fired right up with a jump and had enough of a charge with just 45 mins. of driving and idling to fire back up a few hours later.

I really should put it back on a trickle charger, but I drive 80 miles every day at fwy speed and it seems to do the trick for re-charging. Overall, still very pleased with it, just have to remember to disconnect it if I'm gone for more than a week.

three weeks - I would never expect the battery to last that long - I have gone 9/10 days - and no problem - longer than that and I would just disconnect the negative.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #80 (permalink)

Totally agree, again it was just really wishful thinking on my part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora