The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LiPOFe4(Lithium Iron) Battery for my Evora

56K views 187 replies 43 participants last post by  shakham 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a plan to add lightness my evora for track day upto 250lbs.
Step by step....

Start -> 3042lbs without driver with full fuel.
-sporst exhaust and decat - 25lbs
-radium open air filer - 3lbs
-lithium iron battery - 32lbs
-----------------------------total 60lbs ....now
-carbon seat - 25lbs
-de-seat passenger's seat - 40lbs
-weds tc105n 18inch tire f/r - 40lbs
-2piece brake rotor f/r - 20lbs
-------------------------------found 125kbs...now
shoud find 65lbs
---------------------------------------------------------------End 2792lbs

I searched for many light battery for automotive.
Sector111's braille battery was nice but very expensive.

I found other products, Lithium pros.
They are cheaper($500~$1000).

But I found cheapest one.

Shoraipower made a cheapest Lithium Iron battery I found.
Largest one is 12V , 36AH equiv. $315 from batterystuff.com.
1/3 of braille battery(90AH) and half of OEM battery.
Weight is below 5lbs. Braille is 10lbs and OEM is 37lbs.

Shorai said they made in China but Japan technology.

I tested to my small hatchback for two week. No problem.
So I put it on to my Evora.

Starting is Good and Powerful.
No need to mod for install.

I generally drive my evora once a week. Sometimes I don't drive a month.
I will test it and repost it again.

Attachments

See less See more
#156 ·
Thanks, the site says I can't or shouldn't use my beloved Battery Tender.

What did you do for a bracket? (I could weld one up, but would like to see alternatives.

Thx again.

Hey, you've not update the GTR thread lately. How is it?

#159 ·
Please let us know how is the Shorai holding up long term? About how many years would this battery last before need replacing? My stock battery is still working well on my 2013 Evora. But I’m considering ordering this Shorai LFX36A3-BS12 battery to take advantage of the 20% off

#160 ·
Please let us know how is the Shorai holding up long term? About how many years would this battery last before need replacing? My stock battery is still working well on my 2013 Evora. But I?m considering ordering this Shorai LFX36A3-BS12 battery to take advantage of the 20% off
I had the Shorai installed in my daily driven S for 2 years. I then transferred into the 400 and it has been there 8 Mo so far. No battery tender used. Very reliable. Car has sat occasionally for a week when we are away and it started right up.

#161 ·
Unless Shorai has updated their charger, be careful! I had their charge when I bought my battery 2 years ago. Went out of town for 2 weeks and the battery was dead when I returned. Turns out we had a power outage while I was away and the charger did not start the charging process automatically. Confirmed that this was an issue. They replaced my battery with a new one and I have been using the Battery Tender Jr ever since without issue.

#162 ·
Thank you for the feedback IDuc, Richw1314. Does anyone know if I can still use the Lotus issued battery tender (Deltran) on the Shorai battery? There will be time when the car will park in my garage for 2-3 weeks when I'm out of town. This Deltran battery tender has work really well for me for the past 3+ years with my Evora stock battery and on my other cars as well.

#171 · (Edited)
You should use a Lithium battery designed charger as normal lead acid charges can apply overvoltage greatly shortening life, max charge should be below 14.4Volts, while many lead acid charges are at 14.8 volts. A number of brands are available. I have both a Battery Tender unit 4 amp LFP/LeadAcid PowerTender and an Optimate LFP TM290 that Lotus provides with the Sport 410.

#166 ·
Mine 2 Deltrans 500mA and 1amp models have worked fine for 3+yrs now.

#172 ·
Still going strong with my Deltran Battery Tender BTL35A480C battery. Available for right at $200; 3.75 lbs, 6.5 x 5.1x 3.4 inches dual post configuration for mounting versitility. Pb Eq 35 Ah, LCA 480, 96 Watt Hrs

Attachments

#174 · (Edited)
Same one I have in my Exige. Working well so far.

Previous LiFePO4 battery (Alien Motion) failed within the warranty period, but they refused to warranty it or even offer a discount on a new one :mad:. Said evidence of overcharging. True, but turns out their special balance charger that I used periodically was the real culprit. They said this was not likely or even covered by warranty, and refused to communicate further or even return my battery that I had to ship to them for their (faulty, naive, disingenuous) analysis.

So, at this time, Alien Motion a big NO and Battery Tender looking good at 16 months. BTW — the Exige battery does have an easy life as I have a battery cut-off switch and use it if the car will sit unused for more than two days.

#173 ·
Not very cost effective but Lotus is using the Super B LFP for the Lithium battery option. Model SB12V25P-SC; 9.26 lbs, 9.8 x 5.6 x 3.8 inch Pb Eq 100-130 Ah, LCA 1500, 288 Watt Hrs. Very expensive at about $1100 but very high capacity.

Attachments

#178 ·
Nice, but 20 lbs in the passenger footwell gives me the best crossweight on my (baby) Exige :grin2: If your all-up-weight before the battery loss was 2600 lbs, this should find you 0.14 sec on a 90 sec lap — if you are Lewis Hamilton.

Just messing with you, it really is a great weight loss. :clap:. Battery and exhaust systems are the biggest/easiest/cheapest weight loss on our various Lotus.

Reactions: Lckitty
#186 ·
At the SEMA Show, I spoke to them at length and the company seems well informed and straight-up. They were very specific in the battery they felt was appropriate for our engine and car, and I 'think' the RS-30 was it (it might have been another battery that was not listed in the catalog). One of the longer topics we spoke about was the long term storage charging--they were very adamant on which brand(s) to stay away from (and unfortunately, the one I use/like is the one that is not compatible).

#182 ·
Soundsvery nice and direct fit to standard terminals. Would love to know actual weight. to keep in mind if my Shorai ever dies

#183 ·
Product Weight
9.8 lbs (4.4 kg)

Product Size
9.5″ x 6.8″ x 7.5″ (mm: 243x174x192)

Capacity though...
Amp Hours (Pb Eq) 20
but on the battery itself (in the pics) it says 30-40. So I don't know what's right.

The Shorai...
4 Pound 8 Ounces
540 Cranking Amps
36 Ah (Pb Eq) Amp Hours

I wonder why the Amp hours is comparable. That doesn't make sense to me.

#184 ·
Question becomes who makes the battery for them??

#185 ·
Found this on their site:
========
We make our batteries here in America and we use Power Cells made by the American manufacturer who provides lithium batteries to World Class companies like Ford, GM, Toyota, Tesla just to name a few. We do NOT use the inferior Chinese Lifepo4 copy cells or the lower powered Pouch/Prismatic Cells that are found in some of the other brands like Shorai. We out-perform other Lithium batteries and build our product to withstand the demands or racing and hard use. When you purchase an Antigravity Battery you are getting the best and highest quality in every component from the Power Cells to our overall design and build quality.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/help-center/faq/#antigravity-faqb3f7-8094
========

Though it's odd that they don't mark "Make in USA" on their actual batteries or on the specific battery page. I had to dig around to find this. Interesting that they seem to mention Shorai a lot on their page.

Just for the record, I don't work for them nor do I have anything to do with them. I'm not evangelizing their product as being good or bad, as I really don't know :D.

#187 ·
Multiple years of Shorai use in my Evoras, maintenance and now usage in my Miata give them 2 thumbs up. 525CC is 200 more than stock wet cell in Miata. They get my vote and now that I have learned the current warm up art technique, they start things up in the 20's easily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.