The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

LiPOFe4(Lithium Iron) Battery for my Evora

56K views 187 replies 43 participants last post by  shakham 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a plan to add lightness my evora for track day upto 250lbs.
Step by step....

Start -> 3042lbs without driver with full fuel.
-sporst exhaust and decat - 25lbs
-radium open air filer - 3lbs
-lithium iron battery - 32lbs
-----------------------------total 60lbs ....now
-carbon seat - 25lbs
-de-seat passenger's seat - 40lbs
-weds tc105n 18inch tire f/r - 40lbs
-2piece brake rotor f/r - 20lbs
-------------------------------found 125kbs...now
shoud find 65lbs
---------------------------------------------------------------End 2792lbs

I searched for many light battery for automotive.
Sector111's braille battery was nice but very expensive.

I found other products, Lithium pros.
They are cheaper($500~$1000).

But I found cheapest one.

Shoraipower made a cheapest Lithium Iron battery I found.
Largest one is 12V , 36AH equiv. $315 from batterystuff.com.
1/3 of braille battery(90AH) and half of OEM battery.
Weight is below 5lbs. Braille is 10lbs and OEM is 37lbs.

Shorai said they made in China but Japan technology.

I tested to my small hatchback for two week. No problem.
So I put it on to my Evora.

Starting is Good and Powerful.
No need to mod for install.

I generally drive my evora once a week. Sometimes I don't drive a month.
I will test it and repost it again.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Shorai states it's safe to use, and I am inclined to believe them. Lithium Iron line up very well with lead acid voltage ranges so the charging systems generally don't need to be changed. The original Deltran Battery Tender, along with the Battery Tender Jr and Battery Tender Plus, all charge at a safe voltage of 14.4V.

Lithium Iron batteries are generally considered to be very safe. The are the safest of Lithium battery types, and they are much safer than traditional lead acid batteries. They have higher and lower tolerance levels, a much slower self-discharge rate (<1% per month), and can pull higher currents than any other lithium battery type.

If you're really concerned do some research and decide for yourself. Don't take my word for it :)

Here are some helpful links
FAQ about LiFePO4 Batteries
Deltran Battery Charger Algorithms
Shorai Power FAQ

#4 · (Edited)
One more thought..

If you want larger LiFePo4 capacity, you might want to consider going with two Ballistic EVO2 16-cell batteries. They are very small (3lbs ea) and in parallel will offer double capacity and potential cranking amps of a single one.

It all depends on how often you drive. Having more capacity will allow for longer periods without driving but ultimately the best approach is to use a proper BMS alongside if you're going the route of LiFePO4. Or a kill switch.

(Not to say the an FLA battery is sufficient for long periods as well--the Evora has a pretty high parasitic draw, and the Varta barely holds up not driving for less than a week.)

#5 ·
I just ordered a LFX36L3-BS12 LiFePO4 battery - $284 shipped. I drive my car every day, so parasitic draw shouldn't be an issue for me. Dropping 32 lbs and getting below 3k lbs total will be nice.

#9 ·
Received and installed my shorai battery today. Install was super easy. For the first start, it spun the motor over great. I will test more later and report back. Here is a great view of the weight savings:

#11 ·
More driving around town today with several starts. Each time the motor spun over as fast or faster than with the stock battery.

Also, as a safeguard I picked up one of these:

Amazon.com: Porta-Jump 91300 Emergency Jump Starter: Automotive

The porta-jump weighs just over a pound, and I figure given the Evora's parasitic draw (irrespective of the primary battery being used), it's good insurance to have in a pinch. The reviews on them are mixed, but it seems a significant number of the negative reviews were from people receiving expired batteries.

#12 ·
Lynn those little guys are crap. A friend I know had one and ended up calling me to bail him out, even after I warned him the things are worthless... I had one before and it was too puny to charge my battery enough to start my car.

I now use these...
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XQ9MGE/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1339303933&sr=8-2[/ame]

#15 ·
Lynn those little guys are crap. A friend I know had one and ended up calling me to bail him out, even after I warned him the things are worthless... I had one before and it was too puny to charge my battery enough to start my car.

I now use these...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000XQ9MGE/ref=mp_s_a_2?qid=1339303933&sr=8-2
I have been using these for a while now, and to say these are crap is really not a supportable statement. No problems for me they are demonstrably a better battery in every single category. The main drawback is price. I have in cars (including lotus) and motorcycles.

If you are worried about capacity wire in parallel.

#13 ·
Update on the Shorai battery - left my car for 4 days (Monday-Friday), no starts and no battery tender. When I returned, the Shorai spun the engine over as fast as ever and has been working great since. At this point I feel this is a successful test, at least for daily drivers.

#14 ·
I've got a Shorai in my ZX-10R. It's been installed for around two years and never needs a tender. Cranks up every time, even when I haven't ridden in a month due to travel. I would definately put one in my Corvette or Exige S. Also, I hear their customer service is great, typical of Japanese companies (I spent 11 years in Japan).

San

#20 ·
What be superior about these batteries v an Odyssey 625 or 680?
I've had an Odyssey 625 in my Elise since 5/2008 and it has never let me down.

#21 ·
Lighter than odyssey

LiPOFe4 battery is much and much lighter than odyssey even larger AH.

5lbs vs 15lbs ??

#22 ·
Could we see full specs on these. Interested.
When are car makers going to enter the 21st for batteries?

#32 ·
When they don’t cost any more than lead acid. Car manufactures shave pennies on component costs, they know they cannot pass on hundreds for "better" batteries.

Reactions: Scott Bowman
#25 ·
#26 ·
Thanks Julian, I think your Chimera actually comes with an Evora specific mounting bracket/system which should make your install turn key.

I was actually interested in the Chimera, but wanted to see the mounting on the Shorai given the price point is considerably less and the reviews appear to be better than average from a usage/reliability perspective. I know the OP posted a pic of the battery already mounted, but it's hard to see how it's being held down. Hopefully, a few others can post pics.

#29 ·
I also have the Shorai - which has worked great. As far as "mounting" this battery weights less that albs, I found that the battery cables basically do a great job holding it in place. HOwever I used the foam that Shorai sent, and I also simply used some velcro on the bottom.

#28 ·
Julian,

Just got your order and payment earlier today-- you're officially in the group buy queue.

F1 SML8R and Abechen,

You guys are 100% right, the Chimera battery system isn't for everyone. It's most definitely an investment in the car and, yes, there are other ways to remove roughly the same weight from your battery that are cheaper (Shorai, other "Lithium" companies, AGM batteries, etc.)

It's just a matter of if the benefits of the Chimera battery system is worth the few hundred dollars more to you. For some people, the answer is a resounding yes. Others would prefer to safe the money.

If you want more information on the CBS or RBS, you can read more here.

Chimera CBS
Chimera RBS

#34 ·
Thanks guys, but I kind of agree with Julian. I'm not sure I want the battery being held in place by the cables. However, I like Asulil idea of velcro. I guess I could secure it to the existing battery tray using some kind of velcro strapping mechanism to ensure it's held firmly in place.

#37 · (Edited)
I have seen a crash where foam blocks weighting a few ozs at most stored in the trunk (used to support canoe rails on a roof top) got wedged between the seat back and its frame. As the car was hit head on by a commerial truck, and front end about 3 ft was crsuhed to nothing I assume that the car and may wife saw about 30 g's. .. that 4.8 battery willl exert 144 lbs of force.

#38 ·
good point. we all underestimate the great multiplier called g-forces. In high school they showed a video of a huge football player trying to hold onto a 7lb infant in a crash and was not able to. The baby died. Okay I kid.. but yeah a 240lb football player he couldn't hold onto the little doll.

#41 · (Edited)
Great resurrection . My exact same question. When I get the wheel weight question answered, (anyone know the weights of stock v forged v Team Dynamics wheels??), this lets me know what I need to do to get under 3000lbs.

BTW PC625 was 13.2 lbs

Could we list the weights for these batteries etc. I am VERY interested in the Chimera as car is a DD and I use stereo , AC etc every day
Also they have the CBS battery for $950 and a race battery for $597. Differences. I'll gladly give up a warranty for $350.

#42 ·
I have the chimera. Weight with bracket = 8.3 lbs. got the more expensive version with internal protection circuit that cuts it off if voltage drops below x to prevent total drainage; includes a push button to reengage to start car with remaining energy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.