Looking at buying an Evora, concerned about maintenance costs. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Garage
Perhaps this should be a poll question, but has anyone had their clutch replaced due to normal wear and tear (not a faulty component from the factory)? I also wonder who has the most mileage on their Evora without a clutch replacement. We should have some 2010 DD's that are approaching 40k miles on the clock.

For my part I have 10k and have no clutch issues. It seems we have a lot of hand-wringing of late (myself included) over the clutch replacement costs. It would be nice to quantify the average lifetime clutch cost to the extent possible - admittedly at an early stage with a small population.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
Perhaps this should be a poll question, but has anyone had their clutch replaced due to normal wear and tear (not a faulty component from the factory)? I also wonder who has the most mileage on their Evora without a clutch replacement. We should have some 2010 DD's that are approaching 40k miles on the clock.

For my part I have 10k and have no clutch issues. It seems we have a lot of hand-wringing of late (myself included) over the clutch replacement costs. It would be nice to quantify the average lifetime clutch cost to the extent possible - admittedly at an early stage with a small population.
I did have a good chat with Derek at Lotus of Orlando, he said they've done a few clutches under warranty due to other issues, but haven't seen a simple worn out one yet.

I've pretty much sorted all my other concerns, looking at a 2011 car with an updated dash (for the warm weather issues). Tire wear I've found out is mostly due to the fact they spec out 1.5mm toe-in from the factory in the rear, and oil and brakes I can do myself. Aside from any random warranty defects I don't see any abnormal costs apart from the inevitable clutch replacement.

Now at what mileage that clutch may come, we'll have to see. I should suspect 60k minimum, under normal wear. With a high likelihood it will get you farther.
BOFslime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

Lynn, mine is a 2011 DD driver pushing 21K miles (mostly freeway) and the clutch is flawless. (although watch it go out now that I cursed it!). I think the 30K number was merely a guestimate. I will also mention that I've talked to my dealer who has done a few clutches, all have been warranty and none have been from normal wear and tear.
F1 SML8R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #24 (permalink)

To the OP,

I wouldn't let the maintenance cost prevent you from getting an Evora. It simply is not any different than your average car.

You noted that brakes were due at 10k to 15k. I'm at 17,000 miles and they're fine -- even with three track days!
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM   #25 (permalink)

cdn, great point. I'm at 21k and no where near needing new brake pads. I have several mm left on both the inside and outside pads. I'm guessing maybe something closer to 35k at the rate I'm going (again, largely freeway miles)?

Also, a comment about the tires. I've heard people chew threw them in as little as 3K (extreme, but pretty bad none the less). However, in my case, 21K and I probably have another month or two left of safe thread on the rears before I need to replace. The fronts are basically 80% still.

So my point is, the picture is not as bad as you think. Heck, I'd argue it's no worse than any other sports car and is really more dependant on your driving style than anything else.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 SML8R View Post
Lynn, mine is a 2011 DD driver pushing 21K miles (mostly freeway) and the clutch is flawless. (although watch it go out now that I cursed it!). I think the 30K number was merely a guestimate. I will also mention that I've talked to my dealer who has done a few clutches, all have been warranty and none have been from normal wear and tear.
This is great info - thanks! My dealer (at last check a month or two ago) hasn't done a clutch at all (warranty or otherwise).

An expensive clutch replacement job is one thing. A clutch with a short life is something else (though the former added to the later would make for a bad combo).
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #27 (permalink)

1 year or 9K miles per oil change doesn't sound typical to me. Should be 3-5K miles, but mostly depends on how you drive.

As for tires, the stock ones are fantastic but extremely soft will only last 5-6000 miles miles or so... again depending mostly on how you drive. If you go with cheaper tires, they may last you twice as long but won't get near the performance of the Pirellis.

And the clutch? Well if you're looking at a 2011, that's on the borderline when Lotus implemented improvements in the clutch. Not sure if the car you're looking at has a newer or retrofitted master cylinder or throwout bearing or not. If so, then you're good to go. Mine has performed flawlessly since replacement over 2 years ago.

If you intend to DD this car and not track the hell out of it, you should be fine, mechanically. Just don't expect this expensive car will be without lots of niggles. It comes with the territory. I learned the hard way but am way past that now.
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
KCZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 SML8R View Post
Also, a comment about the tires. I've heard people chew threw them in as little as 3K (extreme, but pretty bad none the less). However, in my case, 21K and I probably have another month or two left of safe thread on the rears before I need to replace. The fronts are basically 80% still.
It's important to remember that not all Evora OEM tires are created equal. Some are regular P Zero's which have a wear rating of 220, and the others are Corsa's with a wear rating of 60. Without knowing which tire someone is running, the mileage is pretty useless.

I can tell you from experience that you're lucky to get 4000 miles out of the rear Corsa's.
2011 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #29 (permalink)

KCZ, that's easy for the novice to know. Most NA's (mine included) came with the standard Pzero's, while mostly SC cars came with the Corsas.

And to be even more specific, if you had the 19/20 wheel combo (mostly SC cars), these came w/ Corsas. I mention this, because I've actually seen a few IPS '12 and '13 NA cars that shipped with the 19/20 diamond wheel combo which had previously been exclusive to SC cars.

Even then, I'm sure you do a lot of spirited/surface street driving perhaps? This is where most of your rubber scrubbing occurs. As I'm pretty sure I'd get a lot more than 4k out of the Corsas, but again I do largely freeway miles.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #30 (permalink)
KCZ

Yes, you may be able to figure all that out. How is the new OP going to know anything if a post doesn't include any information as to whether the car in question is NA or SC'd, tire/wheel sizes, or tire model? The Lotus website didn't even display the differences in OEM tires the last time I checked. And in addition to the Pirelli's, the board now has owners with replacement tires from other brands. That Corsa wear rating of 60 is pretty important when interpreting a longevity of 4000-5000 miles.
2011 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
KCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Yes, you may be able to figure all that out. How is the new OP going to know anything if a post doesn't include any information as to whether the car in question is NA or SC'd, tire/wheel sizes, or tire model? The Lotus website didn't even display the differences in OEM tires the last time I checked. And in addition to the Pirelli's, the board now has owners with replacement tires from other brands. That Corsa wear rating of 60 is pretty important when interpreting a longevity of 4000-5000 miles.
Its good information to have posted either way, it can be frustrating searching for something finding someone with the same question but no answer. I actually found that out through random youtube video where a lotus rep was talking about the wheel options and tires that come with (along with why the foot well has no dead pedal and is shifted over to give the wheel more steering angle)
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
It's important to remember that not all Evora OEM tires are created equal. Some are regular P Zero's which have a wear rating of 220, and the others are Corsa's with a wear rating of 60. Without knowing which tire someone is running, the mileage is pretty useless.

I can tell you from experience that you're lucky to get 4000 miles out of the rear Corsa's.
I got c. 8000 miles out, apparently drive like a granny. That's why I almost killed the brakes at the trackday...
Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #33 (permalink)

20k miles, 2 track days, no new brakes - still doing well though the rotors are nicely grooved, clutch is fine.

Looking for 20k more asap
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #34 (permalink)

Hopping that someone see's this because I didn't want to make a new post.
The car i'm looking at is well equipped, it just doesn't have the tech package most of these things I can do without but..

I'm wondering if the factory homelink can be installed/retrofit.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #35 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFslime View Post
Hopping that someone see's this because I didn't want to make a new post.
The car i'm looking at is well equipped, it just doesn't have the tech package most of these things I can do without but..

I'm wondering if the factory homelink can be installed/retrofit.
Can't comment on aftermarket Homelink install, but IMHO, the backup camera and sensors are more important than Homelink. If the car doesn't have those, I would look into adding those aftermarket first. Having a garage remote clipped to the visor, while not ideal, is manageable. Backing into my garage and out of parking spaces in close quarters without a backup cam - less manageable.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnpreston View Post
Can't comment on aftermarket Homelink install, but IMHO, the backup camera and sensors are more important than Homelink. If the car doesn't have those, I would look into adding those aftermarket first. Having a garage remote clipped to the visor, while not ideal, is manageable. Backing into my garage and out of parking spaces in close quarters without a backup cam - less manageable.
Yup, I figured I could find a better GPS/display unit than factory, and installing a backup camera (or even always on) looked relatively reasonable. The car has a great deal of warranty left, and has all the prem package, and sports package along with the sports gear set. Dealer has already installed cruise control.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:44 AM   #37 (permalink)

Garage
I do have the Homelink and the Backup cam/sensors.

I have to imagine there is a better alternative to the Homelink. I wouldn't want to just clip a remote to the visor, but the Homelink doesn't have great range and 1 out of 10 times I pull up to my garage, it takes takes two or three attempts to get it to open, and it opens my community gate maybe 1 out of 10 times.

As for backup camera/sensors, I might glance at the camera every once in a while, but I would certainly be content without it. Maybe I don't do as much close quarters maneuvering as others (I do live in the suburbs), but if I get close enough to something that I need to rely on the camera to not hit it, I just figure I'm already close enough. This is the first car I've ever owned that I really love, and I'm definitely worried about the eventual emotional breakdown that will come with the inevitable first bump/knick/curb scrape or whatever it is.
jet37ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOFslime View Post
Looking at buying a 2011 Evora manual (driving it once made up my mind between Cayman S and the Evora). Been lurking for a week, searching for an idea what I'm in for. I have a fair handle on warranty work to ask about, but I'm still missing yearly maintenance costs. I searched extensively but other threads asking about it just end with comments referring the OP to their user manual. Being that I don't yet own the car, I do not have this, and I can't seem to find it online.

I'll be calling the local service department tomorrow to see what information they have, but I'm looking basic yearly operation costs.

Oil changes I can do myself, and I understand typical is 1 year or 9k miles, no problem here. What other things should I be looking for at such a service interval?

My concerns are with the high wear of the factory tires, fixable by replacing with a better wearing set I would assume.

Brake's seem to last around 10-15k miles and aren't too bad to do, but rotor replacement will probably be in the 20-25k range.

The high cost of clutch replacement is a MAJOR concern for me, so much that while I highly prefer the manual, i'm contemplating waiting to find an ISP to avoid the whole ordeal. I replaced the clutch on my 04 STi @ 60k miles and while AWD will cause more wear on the clutch than RWD, I do on DD'ing my Evora.

So if a full set of tires is $1000, brake pads are ~$400 replaced yearly, and rotors are $2000 replaced every other year. Looking at roughly $2400/year average in maintenance costs. (worst case scenario)

If I drive 10k/year over 6 years at 60k miles, and a clutch job costs $6k, that brings up an average cost up to $3400/year. Clutch should last longer than this, but again, worst case scenario.

This isn't even accounting for any of the other quirks that come with a hand built car and unforeseen issues.

While I can easily afford the car, I'm starting to think this isn't going to work due to the maintenance costs.
Not sure you are correct regarding Brake wear, my car has done 11,000 pads and the discs are no where near worn and the discs will last longer than the elise/exige/europa Typical road use on the elise/exige/europa @ 36,000 miles is one or two sets of pads plus a set of discs. The Evora is much beefyer than these if I can I will take picis of these tomorrow but they are going to last quite a long time.

Tyre wear is typically between 7,000-14,000 miles depending on how and where you drive (lots of Motorway driving means less wear lots of highish speed corners = more) if you are fairly aggressive expect towards the lower end I am fairly easy on tyres and on current driving I expect to get around 10,000

The Clutch should be fine unless you ride it or otherwise abuse it
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora