The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Lotus Hood Emblem

18K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  willmeyer 
#1 ·
My front/hood emblem (see below) looks awful HAs anyone else run into this problem? HAs anyone replaced it? Warranty?
Also has anyone's leather around the gearshift come undone? any advice on fixing?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The metal trim around the shift boot is fairly easy to remove (just be gentle). Once that's done, it's fairly easy to glue the boot back to the metal trim. Easier to me than making a trip to the dealer for them to do the same thing.

#6 ·
My shifter boot has come loose twice, both repaired under warranty. The way Lotus installed them was with metal clips and glue. The original metal clips popped off and the glue finally gave.

The second repair was replaced with more robust clips. No problems to date, and it's been over a year.

As for the emblem delamination. TADTS :(. Had mine replaced a couple of years back, happened again, despite keeping car covered. It's not very robust against water. Another replacement soon. Interesting observation--your emblem is black and yellow. Mine is classic green on yellow.

#7 ·
I have the retainer clip on order.

#10 ·
#15 Badge; LOTUS, gear knob, enamel Recess in gearkob; A132V0178F
#15b Badge; LOTUS, gear knob, acrylic Flush gearknob; LOTAC05276

#01 Nose Badge, Lotus logo; A117U0170F

#15 ·
Okay I'm going to be on my third emblem when I get my car back from the dealership.. Any ideas as to how to keep this from happening again? My warranty has expired and so the next one is gonna cost a Benjamin... So I'd rather just figure out how to keep this from happening..

And please don't say "don't get your car wet", don't leave it parked outside, etc... . That aint' gonna happen. I use this car. Most emblems don't need changing. Lotus on the other hand.. :UK:

#16 ·
I think due to cost issues the quality of the emblems has decreased significantly. The emblem on my MY99 Elise was still like new after 10 years and 130k miles. Even the emblem on my MY87 TurboEsprit still looks nice. I would try to get a NOS badge from an early Elise and make it fit to the Evora.

BTW, same applies to Bimmer emblems! So it is not Lotus only...

#20 ·
What about coating the new badge with a clear enamel to help prevent this from happening again?

Reactions: brightoncorgi
#21 ·
My badge looks fine, but I have been contemplating doing a custom one that looks like my avatar pic, but with all the lettering added in.
So if I decide to pull the original off, is it just a pry off job? And do I have hopes of it being in reusable condition once I get it off?

#36 ·
there is a whole unofficial history of the black badge--I can't find the link but it is worth googling and reading. Lots of theories and myths, no one is quite sure, but it seems to be tied to a few things.

They used that script on the yellow and green badges as well for awhile. The current script is modern.

#38 ·
Had my lotus badge replaced for pealing under warranty too. Heck I think badge would be replaced for original owners outside of warranty too. It would be pretty embarrassing for lotus that it's their logo which is peeling aka advertisement that's how I would approach them about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.