Michelin pilot super sports? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Michelin pilot super sports?

Has anyone tried these? I ate through my pzeros in 6500 miles which in my opinion means I've been having a pretty good year! Thirty be told I'm not easy on this car. I've tracked it twice and both times drive her as hard as I could.
So I was at vortex performance and they advised me to switch all four tires to Michelin. I'm far more concerned about jacking w the geometry than I am saving a buck on cheaper rubber but if the out come is the dame or as the guy at vortex said "better than pzeros" then of course ill opt to save a few dollars and get more mileage. Anyone, advice???

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Redletter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've had good luck with mine about 2k miles in. I cooked my rear pzero (non-corsas) in 8k . Better feel less road noise, can't comment on track use yet unfortunately. Cheaper is just a bonus.

Several others have been running them for a while longer than myself with good licks I have yet to hear a complaint.

They also have too reviews in mags/online, and are standard on a lot of the "supercars" for whatever that's worth...haha
invictusmaneo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

i tried stock p zeros, a set of toyo t1s and continental sportcontact 3s in that order.. i need to say i am pretty happy with continentals. they are cheaper than pirellis or michelins here in turkey and buying pirelli or michelin become useless if you dont go for corsa/trofeo or ps3 (pilot sport not playstation ) / supersport.. my next set will probabily be conti 5s and i will let you know.
best
Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have over 10k on a pair at the rear right now - still have tread and were awesome at the track (though the R888's blew them away there, they sucked on the highways lol).

Super Sports are the only tire I feel I will ever put on my Evora for the road - they are fantastic.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've been driving on Supersports (19/20") for about 3000 miles and am very satisfied with them.

On a dry surface, warm temperature, they are a bit less grippy than the Corsas, but they are better everywhere else.

Before my S IPS I had a LE, and the Michelins remind me of the PZeros, but a bit better.
Is a Porsche Cayman S quicker and faster? Yeah, probably, a little, if you judge things so parlously as to measure your life in tenths of a second. The Evora is a connoisseurís car, a driverís shibboleth and secret code, a prime number of a machine that is indivisible by anything other than itself.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

How much in savings are we talking on a set of four Michelins as opposed to the Pirellis?
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

In france, compared to the Corsas ordered by my dealer, and buying the Michelins online, 42% less.
Is a Porsche Cayman S quicker and faster? Yeah, probably, a little, if you judge things so parlously as to measure your life in tenths of a second. The Evora is a connoisseurís car, a driverís shibboleth and secret code, a prime number of a machine that is indivisible by anything other than itself.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
In france, compared to the Corsas ordered by my dealer, and buying the Michelins online, 42% less.
That's significant alright!
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
Well don't use the Dealer, they will charge between £400-£500 each if you are in Europe you can get the corsas from Mytyres

Pirelli P ZERO 255/35 ZR19 96Y XL MO1 - mytyres.co.uk

Todays Price is £200 each (they do change in price from day to day) however thats a huge saving around 60% then just get the dealer to fit them
Toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redletter1 View Post
Has anyone tried these? I ate through my pzeros in 6500 miles which in my opinion means I've been having a pretty good year! Thirty be told I'm not easy on this car. I've tracked it twice and both times drive her as hard as I could.
So I was at vortex performance and they advised me to switch all four tires to Michelin. I'm far more concerned about jacking w the geometry than I am saving a buck on cheaper rubber but if the out come is the dame or as the guy at vortex said "better than pzeros" then of course ill opt to save a few dollars and get more mileage. Anyone, advice???

My advice is to properly align your car

My first set of pzeros lasted 6500 miles. I aligned my car and 6500 miles later the rear pzeros look brand new.

And no discernible change in handling after the alignment
Joetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had my dealer check alignment and all was within spec even though I chewed the rears at 8k.

I saved about 400 USd by going with the PSS but the Pirelli in the lotus specific compound are impossible to find. You can find the merc specs but they're no good there are some comments on here covering it
Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
axm

Anyone tried Bridgestone RE-11s on the Evora? Thoughts?
axm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by axm View Post
Anyone tried Bridgestone RE-11s on the Evora? Thoughts?
They provide a small increase in steady state grip and transitional performance. I'll probably put either those, AD08s, or RS3s on in the spring.

The re11 will probably be noisier than the OE tire, especially as they get close to the wear bars. The last few sets I bought (not on the lotus) were shaved to 3/32nds for scca national events and were very loud.

donour
donour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

I replaced all 4 tires with "Toyo Proxies Plus 4" after my PZeros wore out in the back at 6,000 miles. I have noticed little to no difference in ride quality or spirited driving. I imagine you may notice the difference at the track, I'm no a track driver, so I cant speak to this, but otherwise, these are a great replacement so far. I have put nearly 3,000 miles on them and they looked good at my last check.

I expect them to last longer than the pzeros and even if they don't, they sure are cheaper and easier to find than the pzeros if I need to replace the back tires again at 12,000 miles.

EDIT:
You have to replace all 4 tires, you cannot just do the rears.
REF: Changed back tires to a new brand/model and now the car floats at high speeds
Old 12-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

I replaced all four w Michelin ss today. So far so good. I got on it a bit on some corners and she drove just as nice w good gripping. Thanks for the in put.

One issue I had was my front center caps were twisted or warpped. Seemingly from heat while tracking the last time. I should've taken them out. Anyone w advice on the center caps? I was considering removing the emblem and epoxying it to a metal cap.

Redletter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Advise is to take them out for track days, learnt it the hard way myself... $$$...
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

apparently the Evora center caps become projectiles on the track...
Old 12-23-2012, 05:54 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
apparently the Evora center caps become projectiles on the track...
No more than Cup or stock wheels.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (home again!)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders) 2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP)
1980 Rover SD1 (new home)
XHILR8N! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:22 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
I had my dealer check alignment and all was within spec even though I chewed the rears at 8k.

I saved about 400 USd by going with the PSS but the Pirelli in the lotus specific compound are impossible to find. You can find the merc specs but they're no good there are some comments on here covering it
I don't think they were aligned to "lotus spec"

That would be setting the alignment to the same tire eating wacky setting the car had from the factory. I just told the alignment shop to fix my tire wear problem. 8000 miles later the Pirelli rear tires look brand new. At the rate I'm going my fronts will wear out first!
Joetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

The Lotus Spec is pretty much performance oriented - as you would expect from Lotus.
But, if you spend most of your time in traffic tire wear may be more important. Just don't complain if you're not the fasted on a track day.
tbd_Evora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora