Modified suspension, coilovers or lowered the Evora? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Modified suspension, coilovers or lowered the Evora?

Does anyone here have any modified suspension, coilivers or springs in their Evora? I have been searching for a suspension set up for street use but I have come up with 0 results.
roadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

For street use, do you think you could make it ride or handle any better than it does?

Good luck!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can use the ones from the S. GTN package has a suspension upgrade kit
ramtin1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Track use maybe, but street use that's a laugh. This may be the all round best car ever built for spirited street use, seriously. It was no slouch at the track either. I drove the street tires into oblivion and the suspension wasn't remotely being used to its limit. DOTR"S will still be insufficient unless they're Hoosiers. If you want a brick just do what the ricer boys do and chop the springs. I'm bustin ya! This car is INCREDIBLE in stock form and for street use. Unless you have years of track training and experience, you'll only make the car a handful by making it stiffer. No different than all those folks that threw 10K at their Eliges (without a clue of how to drive) that proceeded to drive them off the track on day 1! Saw that NUMEROUS times back in 2005-2006. You'll take this car from thoroughbred to hyper exotic full race car all too easily.
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

OP, I take it you're not completely happy with the stock suspension. Why?
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramtin1000 View Post
You can use the ones from the S. GTN package has a suspension upgrade kit
Thanks for an actual answer. That's more of the reply I was looking for. I wanted to just know what other suspension options were out there.

Don't get me wrong guys I think the evora suspension is tops as a stock car with ride comfort and handling. Is it the best handling car I ever drove? No. I've driven in others that can probably do better but of course the ride is harsh and stiff. Those were not street cars.Now what I'm trying to find is any options to lower the car a little.yet still keep most of the ride characteristics of the stock setup. I don't mean no change at all, because it is a given the ride will get less comfortable and get stiffer.This is what I mean by street use. I have had experience with a number of coilovers in my past cars from Tein, bilstein, Ohlins & KWs on my last two cars. I have been very satisfied with KWs for street use and I and looking for the same here. For me it's purely a cosmetic thing, I prefer my cars height to be just a little lower. Another option I see possibly changing the springs from eibach stock setup with a shorter spring with similar rate setup. In my past cars suspension set ups I know there were options to choose shorter springs which still held the same spring rate. I found the ride to still be similar and comfortable but the car had a lower stance. I will see if this is possible with eibach.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

And believe me guys im very happy with the ride. This is the best street car Ive ever driven.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

Buy these and then please post a review for us all

PSi 'Raceline' Lotus Evora suspension system (3-way) [psi.EvoraTTX3.01] - $5,995.00 : Koni, Ohlins, Moton, Penske, Hypercoils, Your Racing Shocks Shop!
jah29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

+1
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes buy this and post I would like my car lowered by 1/2 inch just for looks.
fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

yes i have found these as well prior to posting but could not find any feedback here on them. i was hoping someone here already tried them out. they seem more for track purpose and $6K is a bit much for me to take a chance and they turn out not to be what i want for daily street driving. i'm going to see what possibilities there are.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

If you really just care about looks, go to the eibach catalog and buy slightly shorter springs. You'll give up some travel, but the cost will be very small ($80 per spring). If, down the road, you want that travel back, go to a reputable Bilstein rebuilder and have the shock rods shortened.

There is nothing exotic about the basic suspension layout of the evora: unequal length a-arm, eibach coil springs, bilstein gas shocks. It's the simplest, cheapest design that works really really well. While I don't particularly like bilstein, I acknowledge that they are the shock world's performance bargain of the century. Compare the prices of them to Koni 28, Penske 8xxx, and the like. If you don't like the stock valving, its dead easy for a shock shop to revalve them to your specs. Don't know what specs are for you, make friends with a race engineer.

It's important to note, that the evora (along with every modern lotus) was designed with few performance compromises in the suspension. You're not going to get huge gains just from increasing the springrate and slightly altering the geometry like you would in a car with Mcpherson (or Chapman) Struts.

EDIT: The obvious exception, of course, is track use with very sticky tires. You probably do want considerably more springrate, but that's not the street.

donour
donour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'd be curious how these differed from the Evora ride quality as well, but they're shocks/struts. They will not affect ride height at all, which is what the OP wants. However I guess it's possible they are shorter than OEM overall, but that's not mentioned.

I've done exactly what you describe to my G35. It now looks better and the lower stance actually improved high speed stability, without reducing ride quality at all.

I'm very interested, so please keep us posted on what you find out. I've also thought the Evora would look perfect if it was only about an inch lower.

Last edited by trentor; 07-05-2012 at 10:57 PM.
trentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #14 (permalink)

You folks are messin with a dream here. Be careful. Lotus has amazingly achieved what i thought impossible in the Evora.
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Roger would not be amused.
anthonyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Hmm, what's this....

Compare the upper shock mount to this
Vulcan Grey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

The GT4 suspension no?
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Grey View Post
Hmm, what's this....

[IMG]
Compare the upper shock mount to this
[IMG]
Interesting. That looks like it would give a good half inch drop or more and certainly wouldn't affect ride quality. Are those mounts custom or OEM?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Nitron sells suspension for Lotus Evora.

Nitron Racing Shocks

Many choices
Old 07-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleogml View Post
Nitron sells suspension for Lotus Evora.

Nitron Racing Shocks

Many choices
That would defeat the purpose though. The idea is to go a little lower while retaining the impeccable ride quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora