The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Non-dealer tire change?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  brgelise 
#1 ·
The nearest dealer to me is 400+ miles, so I really don't want to drive across the state to get new shoes on my Evora. Problem is that because of the jack points on the car and its relative rarity, I doubt that a Les Schwab or similar place would properly lift the car to take off the wheels. I am planning to order some new shoes at tirerack (Pilot Sport Cup II or Pilot Sport PS2) but not sure where to have them installed. Any suggestions? Audi/Porsche dealership since they might know how to lift her?

Suggestions welcome, and appreciated!

#2 ·
Not sure what rarity has to do with it. Lifting a car is an exercise in physics, independent of what's being lifted and it's relative rarity.

Sure, there are horror stories (mostly for Eliges) going through unsupported aluminum or body parts if proper jack points aren't used, and at least one fell off a lift backwards when incorrect use of lift points caused the weight to shift rearwards when a front wheel was removed, but again, it's physics.

Find a reputable shop, needn't be a car dealership of any particular marque (Audi/Porsche dealerships by default don't know how to lift her...they'll pull your owner's manual, look for where the lift points are, and go from there).

Speak to the shop, together locate the lift points, and go from there. If you're really uneasy about falling off the lift, having them lift it just enough to be able to remove the tires will do.

#3 ·
I had Discount Tire do one side of the car at a time using one of their jacks and a hockey puck that I brought along, while supervising the lifting process.

#4 ·
4380r is correct in his suggestions. There are also several threads on this if you search and want to read up a little. For tire shops like Discount Tire or Less Schwab I usually remove the wheels myself and take them in for my Evora and Elise. There have also been times when I haven't.

It's a no brainier, just make sure you yourself understand the procedure and the jack points. Physically show them the jack points beforehand. I have them use a floor jack with a rubber pad on it and stand there with them as they lift. They only need to use the jack point in the middle on each side, lift a bit then remove/install the wheels..rinse, repeat for the other side.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone! I thought I'd read most of the posts going backward, and didn't think about searching it. Coincidentally, as I'm in Spokane, Park Place over by you Mobius is the nearest authorized shop to me, so you can imagine my reluctance to drive all the way out there just for something like this. I'll have to head that way later this year for the cable upgrade though, as I really don't want to do that myself and they quoted me about $850 for the cable and labor to install.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I've not had a car that I care about up till now, so didn't really care what happened to the others at a tire shop. This one is special to me though, as a Lotus has always been my dream car, so I guess I'm just super paranoid about even the tiniest things, like this.

#7 ·
Park Place is great, been using them for 9 years for my Lotus needs. Yep, that is quite a hike for you being over in Spokane. I understand the worry, I was the same way when I first went through this with my Elise having the tires changed for the first time.

#9 ·
I remember calling around to a bunch of shops asking if they worked on lotus. Local shop specializing in Ferrari was only one who had experience and accepted new work. I drop shipped Tire Rack tires to them and dropped car off for tire change. They wouldn't allow customers to hang out in the shop. I'm gonna change em myself next time.

#10 ·
There are a lot of shops that won't allow customers in their work bays due to insurance regulations.

#12 · (Edited)
I don't go to any of those shops.

Buy the tires from Tire Rack, have them delivered to a recommended installer.. Save yourself a bunch of coin rather than be a sucker for stealer prices.:nerd:

#14 ·
Be human to the installers. IT IS A VERY DIFFICULT THING TO DO PERFECTLY EVERY TIME. 30SERIES RUBBER, ESP DOT R'S ARE PURE HELL TO INSTALL!!!

Reactions: dannyn
#15 ·
Similar to the others I remove my wheel and have Costco install them. I'm a member, they let me drop them off in the morning and pick up after work. They just work them in when they have down time. Cost next to nothing when you consider your own time and equipment needed. Then remount them myself.

#16 ·
Why I want to be in shop is to inspect roundness be it inner rim or lateral runout. Sometimes we do hit things and don't know about the damage till later. I bet 90% of the unbalanceable tires are really wheel issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.