Overheating issue - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

1Likes
  • 1 Post By teejocky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Overheating issue

So my car is at the dealership to get Brake fluid flush and checking out the traction control light coming on when they let me know the car was overheating.

This never happened before. I was told that the problem was due to both fuses blowing.

Now that has me thinking if anyone else has encountered that problem before? How can both fuses just blow like that all of a sudden?

I'm very happy that I still have a warranty for a whole year but I also want to understand what causes this in case they are not doing the right things.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 AM

Garage
did yo unotice the temp going up while driving, or did that just happen at the dealership? Mine will go a bit past the halfway mark in heavy traffic, but the radiator fans will kick on and cool it back down within a few minutes. I always know the temp is about to go up on the display because I can see the heat waves through the windshield from the fans kicking on.

I stopped needlessly putting it into sport mode all the time and noticed the temp stays steady at the halfway mark no matter how bad the traffic is or how hot it is outside.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM

Garage
What fuses blew?

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

this happened while they had it idling in the shop.

what they told me what both of the fan fuses went.

I have seen the temp gauge go a tick over the middle and the fans come on and I'm good. Ive driven it everyday for the past month and the temps have reaced close to 95 here in Houston and in stop and go traffic for an hour one way each day,

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:02 PM

Garage
That's rather coincidental that both fan fuses went at the same time, but it could just be that. If they replace with the same amp rating and it happens again, they'll at least know there's a short or overload situation.

Mine frequently goes a few ticks above half when at idle, but the fans keep it from going any higher than that. Once moving, the gauge is at or below the half way mark.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 04:56 AM

I often have the temp go up past the halfway mark. Only takes about 2 minutes in traffic. I'm not sure if the rad fans come on, but the very noisy engine fan comes on until I start to move again. Every now and then the temp will stay way down in the 1/4 range while driving and stay low until it begins to heat up after a couple of minutes in traffic. My assumption is that the thermostat has stuck in the full open position. After a few days all of a sudden it goes back to running hotter again. Good thought about the fuses. Can anyone tell me where they are? I live 5 hours from the nearest dealer.

Okay. Found the fuses in the manual. They both look fine. What a bugger trying to get the 1/4 turn clips back in place. Designed for midgets.

Can anyone tell me if they can hear those fans when they come on?
brgelise likes this.

Last edited by teejocky; 05-20-2017 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Adding to the story.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:03 AM

Your description is 100% normal. Underway, these cars run very cool unless under track conditions. The minute you hit traffic, the fans are needed. They are noisy yes, but do their job very well. Unless you are routinely at the top of the scale, I wouldn't worry a bit. You live in the humidity capital of the south.... Also normal esp when AC is on, for fans to run a few minutes after shutdown.

16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-->stunning
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
15 Lincoln MKC Reserve Ruby Red, Sand. Sleeper
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2017, 06:05 AM

Fwiw, lotus considers anything on the bar graph within normal range, so over the halfway is not a bad thing. If it continues to hang out super high though, that would be cause for concern.

In humid hot weather in FL (much like Houston) mine drops below half as soon as I stop moving, but shoots up a bit every time I stop. Then the fans and engine bay fan start working. 6 year sand haven't had an issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.