Passenger Air Bag Cover Removal - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Evorauk
  • 1 Post By esseye

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Passenger Air Bag Cover Removal

Hi, anyone know if the passenger airbag cover can by ripped out with the dash in place? Is it purely held in place by 4 plastic clips or it is screwed in by metal screws in places? Can I literally rip out the cover with my bare hands and then simply velcro a new cover on top? Will ripping the cover out trigger any air bag sensors/light?

My cover has warped severely but I don't want to pay for the ludicrous labour cost needed to take the dash out. The part itself is stupidly priced already. Should cost about $50 not £300+.

Thanks
nintense likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM

Garage
From the howto on this particular issue, it looks like the cover is bolted along the front edge (nearest windshield) with break-away clips along the rear edge so that it angles the airbag deployment towards the passenger. I think that's why it requires ripping the whole dash out to fix/replace.

You could probably get by with using velcro instead of the plastic clips, but you'd still want to bolt down the other end of the cover. I think given the holding strength of some of the other velcro that Lotus used throughout the car, it was probably too tough for the cover to open during a deployment, so plastic clips were a better alternative.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:17 PM

Too bad the bolt plate doesn't hinge to the top piece.. Then you could just pry the front up with enough force to break the clips (presumably not much if they're already failing), replace, and snap back down...

2011 Evora S - Carbon Grey
2014 Chevy Volt (DD)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:45 PM

You'll need to remove the entire dash to fix it. The edge near the windshield is held on by 5 bolts. There is no ripping it out and velcroing it down. You would destroy the panel if you did that. To get to those 5 nuts, unfortunately the dash has got to come out. Once out, two new plastic fasteners (and possibly a new panel) need to be installed.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 04:02 AM

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Looks like I will just have to put up with an ugly dash. The amount it will cost to replace such a trivial thing is what I would expect to pay for a big job or most of big e.g a clutch change.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 07:30 AM

There's fairly detailed instructions on doing it yourself here. While it's a bit of a long job, it doesn't seem like any part of it requires special tools or exotic skills. The cost is in the labor hours, so why not just set a weekend aside and tackle it yourself?
nw_mr2 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 AM

Exactly, it's just time consuming not costly, if you do it yourself. I've taken quite a bit of the Evora's interior out doing other pprojects.Havent had the entire dash out but I've disassembled the lower half of it, along with all the passenger side trim and gutted the rear to run new cables. It's all hand tools and time. A cheap set of autotrim pulling tools are your best friend.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

OK, going to attempt this. Apart from the airbag cover is there any other part I should buy? I can't seem to find the two plastic clips on the parts diagram. Anyone know the part number?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:09 PM

P/N B121U0117F from the exploded diagrams (#17)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.