Renting an Evora? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2Likes
  • 2 Post By cyow5

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Renting an Evora?

Long shot, but as the title says, I am wondering if there's any way to rent an Evora? I'm looking to get a non-S IPS and would like to see how usable it is over a 2-3 day period (getting kids in the back, groceries in the trunk, doing a short road trip, etc).

A google search turned up nothing stateside, but I recall a recent BAT auction with a late model sports car (911, iirc) which had been rented on a site which was like air bnb but for cars (can't recall the name).

I'm in Long Beach so anything in LA would work.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); 86 911 Targa (sold); 68 MGB (future vintage racer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Garage
The only service I know of is Turo, but I have yet to see an Evora posted on there.

You might have more luck asking a fellow LT member to swap cars for a few days. If I were in SoCal and had an IPS, I wouldn't mind trying out an Elise for a few days.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 PM
KCZ

Garage
Hertz rents them out in Europe. How do you feel about a trip to Vegas? The Lotus Evora Experience | Exotic and Luxury Car Rental in Las Vegas

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:08 PM

I had the same questions before I bought my Evora. To alleviate my concerns, I took a few for a test drive and really evaluated storage space and long-term comfort. Before "pulling the trigger", I put my 8year old daughter in back with my wife in a comfortable passenger position. Both reported that it was less spacious than my 750 BMW but wouod be finr to transport the family around town.

After a few road trips in the Evora, I can confirm that
1) plenty of space for one or two people to pack and drive long distances in comfort.
2) none of my normal luggage fits in the trunk. This includes my small rectangular suitcase and my (admittedly large) brief case. On my last trip, I packed my suit in a garment bag so it would fit in the trunk.
3) If the whole family was traveling any real distance together, my wife would probably insist that we take a different car.
4) For me, there is no better car on a sunny day than my Elise and no better daily driver than my Evora. Both cars are brilliant but one does not replace the other as they are VERY different.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:54 PM

Garage
@craigyirush just buy an early model Evora and sell it for 1k less when your evaluation period is over. Not sure what the tax/reg is in Cali but S1 Evora's seemed to have bottomed out for now. I bought one last labour day to see if I would like it and I am now considering selling my Elise in the next year or so. The Evora is such a pleasure to drive..... The Elise was my gateway drug to the Evora.

2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2012 Fiat 500 C, Bianco Perla, Bordeaux Top, 5 spd
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:47 PM

Garage
Taxes alone on $50k+ used car will still be a hit if you decide to sell quickly. I run groceries trip all the time. 3 reusable size bags easily fit in the trunk and youll have the backseats as extra. Backseats for your kids depend mainly on 2 factors.. you and your kids heights. Ive driven 3 kids before, none taller than 5 feet. Im 5'6 so it made it easier for someone to sit behind me. My longest trip was this past new years with my wife. We went from Pasadena up the 1 to Monterrey/Salinas. Had our 2 North face base camp medium about 50L each in the back seats with room to spare for snacks. Honestly was very surprised how comfortable it was. Might have been the amazing views and drive.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:18 AM

I have driven over 800 miles trip on my Evora without any back pain. The recaro seat is more comfortable than the seat in my mini van. I did tons of grocery shopping, drive my kids to schools, dentist, physical checkups, and much more. The Evora is very useful/versatile and the kids prefer to be in the Evora than our sport sedan. The sedan became a garage queen so I sold it. Bring your kids with you to test drive the Evora and you will know for sure. Save your money; you donít need to rent one. The Evora is beautifully made. I think the price is pretty much bottom out for a used one. The Evora will worth more in the future as I see a lot of Acura Integras are selling in the 20s and some near 30K.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Thanks, guys - unintended benefit of my question is that I got a lot of great feedback on how usable the Evora is! Love this site.

I was thinking of proposing an Elise-Evora swap on here. Maybe I will, though I'm always worried about dinging other people's cars!

Yes, Turo is the site! Shame there are no Evoras on it.

PS Will try the buy one and sell it less taxes and insurance to my wife . . .

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); 86 911 Targa (sold); 68 MGB (future vintage racer)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
PS Will try the buy one and sell it less taxes and insurance to my wife . . .
Mind making a video of this as a how-to manual for the rest of us?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:50 AM

Before I bought my Elise, a friend let me have his for a weekend. That also turned out to be a first date with my now wife. Easily the most expensive weekend I've ever had now that I look back at it...
glb and craigyirush like this.

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Before I bought my Elise, a friend let me have his for a weekend. That also turned out to be a first date with my now wife. Easily the most expensive weekend I've ever had now that I look back at it...
At least if she ever wants you to get rid of it, you have the "But, we wouldn't have even MET if it weren't for that car!"
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
Mind making a video of this as a how-to manual for the rest of us?
Yes, if I live to tell the tale!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esseye View Post
At least if she ever wants you to get rid of it, you have the "But, we wouldn't have even MET if it weren't for that car!"

Haha, she actually has stopped ME from selling the car a couple times. She wants her own; we'll do the same as what Craig is looking for though and try to at least do an extended test drive when the time comes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 09:06 PM

to my knowledge there isn't even an IPS in the LA area. I think there's one or 2 in San Diego. I'm happy to give you as much time as you'd like to look at/explore/test drive my '11 NA 6sp but loaning/renting is probably off the table as I'm kinda anal with keeping my cars clean.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 AM
Asst. Helmet Tester

Garage
The only usability issue I ever have with the car is feeling a little uncomfortable taking it to certain places. It's not a fear of a ding or some other damage, it's more of an attention thing.

"I think you should name her Pippa, because she's British and has a nice looking rear end."

An ALS Ice Bucket Challenge unlike the rest The ALS Association Golden West Chapter Presents The PanAmerica Crew IBC
The most recent big adventure in the fight against ALS SailingforALS.com
and don't forget the epic charity road trip ThePanAmerica.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.