Road hazard insurance worth it? (rims/tires) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Road hazard insurance worth it? (rims/tires)

hey folks, i take delivery of my new Evora on Thursday. The car has the upgraded black forged design wheels (19" front/20" rear), and obviously the stock Pirelli P-Zero Corsa's. Normally I wouldn't ever consider buying any dealer "add-ons" (i.e. underbody rust protection, paint sealant, blah blah blah). However, OEM rims and tires are absurdly expensive (I believe over $1300 per rim for the black forged design wheels, and ~$500+ per P-Zero Corsa).

The dealer is offering a 5-year tire & wheel coverage plan for $1295 from a third-party company, ROAD InTire. I'm not as worried about the tires as I am on the rims, seeing as I have no idea how fragile they are. Anyone have any thoughts on whether or not this coverage plan might be a good idea? Anyone ever gotten the plan for less than $1295?
texevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Really a roll of the dice on that one to me, and I'm an exteneded warranty kinda guy. Will I really have a cost justifying incident in 5 years? Actually, will I have 2? One to break even and one to make it worth getting the insurance. With those odds I'd gamble and stash a chunk of that cash for a rainy/slippery day. If there is a deductible then even worse.

If, i could spread the cost into the 3% car loan or get a longer term than 5 years on the ins. then maybe.
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i

Last edited by Lckitty; 12-24-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: forgot somthin
Lckitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Think about the headache you will experience 3 years from now if you have a bent rim trying to track down your documentation, and the company... IF the company still exists. Then you have to file a claim, and they probably wont pay 100% of the repair cost. Take your $1295, and put it into a savings account. Problem solved.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
I had the same offer from my dealer, I passed on it. I don't have 19"& 20"', just 18" & 19"'s.
Unless you damage 2 or 3 rims over 3 years, then it would work.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Such moderate

Get nails in 3 tires and it pays for itself though. $1295 is actually pretty cheap, if it can be added into the price I'd probably do it. I think they sell our tire warranties a little above $2000.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
Unfortunately it's too late to add it to the purchase price. Think i'm leaning towards passing on the insurance package. I am pretty careful when driving, and i know i'll be 10x more careful in the Evora. thanks for the all the input folks...
texevora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, that is serious money for something you probably never need. Rims are robust unless you curb them, but getting that fixed is just $100-200 per rim. T
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you damage a wheel can't you just fine a claim with your insurance anyways? I have a $100 deductible on my Lotus and if I bent a wheel, I would just call them up. Same as if I chipped or cracked the windshield
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora