Service Bulletins - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 05:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
U.S. Cobra Distributer

Service Bulletins

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bulletin200915evorawater.pdf (110.3 KB, 844 views)
SirLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

EVORA S Clutch pedal failure

Saw the original SB, don't have a copy. I had this one done yesterday:

Applicability: Evora S
Issue: Clutch pedal falls to the floor, resp. loss of clutch action
Cause: Boiling hydraulic fluid due to overheating in the engine bay
Correction: There is an additional piece of thermal insulation, that should be mounted on the hydraulic line close to the clutch cylinder. The hydraulic line then has to be vented and refilled.

My clutch pedal fellt through when I started the car on Monday. After pulling it all the way back up I was able to return home (300 KM), but with a very soft pedal. Afterwards I recollected, that the pedal had become softer over time, I've done a lot of high speed driving, so the engine bay gets very hot in that area.

The dealer didn't have the riginal thermal covering, but he improvised. Draining the system was acutally the much bigger chore. Its really tight under that engine and the cluth only refills at the very top end of the pedal (which meant holding it up until all the air was out.
tbd_Evora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
Recall on Door Latch Mechanism

Service advisor informed me they performed a recall on both of my door latches when I was getting other work done.

It would be nice if someone had a copy of this recall notice.
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Will be interesting to see if half the clutch issues on the 2010's were caused by the same thing??? Once the throwout becomes inconsistent, it opens the doors for all other kinds of unintentional abuse like missed shifts, grinding, effectively "dropping the clutch" etc.
12 Jaguar XK Coupe Claret Red, Caramel Leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

the esprit also suffered from clutch line problems, often referred to as "red hose problems" because the line was red. it was plastic/rubber and would expand when hot.
the solution was and is, to install a braided stainless steel line, available from the usual suspects.
tomas
87 esprit
tomas87lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbd_Evora View Post
Saw the original SB, don't have a copy. I had this one done yesterday:

Applicability: Evora S
Issue: Clutch pedal falls to the floor, resp. loss of clutch action
Cause: Boiling hydraulic fluid due to overheating in the engine bay
Correction: There is an additional piece of thermal insulation, that should be mounted on the hydraulic line close to the clutch cylinder. The hydraulic line then has to be vented and refilled.

My clutch pedal fellt through when I started the car on Monday. After pulling it all the way back up I was able to return home (300 KM), but with a very soft pedal. Afterwards I recollected, that the pedal had become softer over time, I've done a lot of high speed driving, so the engine bay gets very hot in that area.

The dealer didn't have the riginal thermal covering, but he improvised. Draining the system was acutally the much bigger chore. Its really tight under that engine and the cluth only refills at the very top end of the pedal (which meant holding it up until all the air was out.
Here the original SB
Attached Images
File Type: pdf sb_2011_29_Evora_Clutch_Pipe_Insulation.pdf (323.8 KB, 500 views)
tbd_Evora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me what service bulletin 2010/14 was for exactly?

Thanks
manike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Omm

I was wondering if this clutch problem is indigenous to all evoras or are there just a few with this problem? I am looking to buy a 2011 evora and I am holding back after reading all the messages about the clutch.
Omm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Handful of cars. Mine has seen track duty with NO issues (NA)
Skip barber has a few for their driving school and none have had the issue either. They don't get much hotter than that. Anyone with fluids more than a year old should bleed their lines to get the coke colored fluids out! That's the real problem I bet.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

The clutch problem is with all cars and it is hard to bleed pedal needs to be at the top to do it.
When the car is used worked hard in hot temperatures summer heat soak causes fluid to boil air stays in the system eventually causing pedal loss. the solution is to bleed replacing fluid with AP racing 600 fluid has higher boiling temp no problem after that even with heat shield it boils on original fluid when worked hard.
trevleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevleg View Post
The clutch problem is with all cars and it is hard to bleed pedal needs to be at the top to do it.
When the car is used worked hard in hot temperatures summer heat soak causes fluid to boil air stays in the system eventually causing pedal loss. the solution is to bleed replacing fluid with AP racing 600 fluid has higher boiling temp no problem after that even with heat shield it boils on original fluid when worked hard.
My master cylinder had to be replaced - and post that Motul 600 was used. No issues after that - including a good track day. No fade or spongy brakes at any point all day.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

How about having the dealer prophyllactically place a thermal barrier on the line before problems arise??
ravencliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
That is what the service bulletin calls for.
'12 Evora S GP Edition (#1/14)and what put Special in "Special Edition": Komo-Tec Evo-Ra 390 Header Kit, Larini S Club Sport Silencer, BOE CAI, BOE Custom/Kold-Fire Tune, Lotus Racing/Swindon Oil Sump, Chimera CBS Lithium Battery, & other bits. Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel ... new to piston power, my 3 track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

The service manager at Galpin was uncertain as to whether or not using Motul 600 would be a warranty issue with Lotus. I know it exceeds what Lotus recommends, but that isn't a bad thing in this instance.

Any first-hand knowledge regarding this?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencliff View Post
The service manager at Galpin was uncertain as to whether or not using Motul 600 would be a warranty issue with Lotus. I know it exceeds what Lotus recommends, but that isn't a bad thing in this instance.

Any first-hand knowledge regarding this?
Motul RBF 600 is a DOT 4 fluid (as specd in owner manual) so Lotus can not hold it against warranty.
'12 Evora S GP Edition (#1/14)and what put Special in "Special Edition": Komo-Tec Evo-Ra 390 Header Kit, Larini S Club Sport Silencer, BOE CAI, BOE Custom/Kold-Fire Tune, Lotus Racing/Swindon Oil Sump, Chimera CBS Lithium Battery, & other bits. Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel ... new to piston power, my 3 track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Re: Service Bulletins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
Motul RBF 600 is a DOT 4 fluid (as specd in owner manual) so Lotus can not hold it against warranty.
How would they know anyway? Just like how would an owner know if the correct oil was used in an oil change by a service facility? Seems a rather pointless concern (unless of course the fluid color was obviously different, but I don't believe that's the case).
squidward is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

I dropped my car off at Manhattan Motorcars today. Towing into Manhattan from Jersey City was easier than I expected and the flatbed driver was great. I was able to get the clutch a bit of pressure after I pumped it 20 times or more, and was able to drive it out of the parking garage and up the bed of the tow truck.

I'm still waiting to hear the status from the dealer, but they confirmed there was a TSB for some clutch components and they said they might need to order some parts.
Cantdecide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Beware manhatten Motorcaras. Look for our other poster with chronic issues at that dealership. Note anything not perfect before you give it to them ...
Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
2012 Evora S 2+2 manual

GM had this same problem when the new C6 Z06 came out in 2006 and I had one of the first early Z06's. The 427 engine just ran hotter than the smaller Corvette engine and if you lived in a hot area or raced the car a lot, the clutch would start to get spongy and fail. The problem was solved by changing the factory DOT 3 with DOT 4 fluid. I never experienced the problem myself but I changed the fluid just in case my engine was to get a little hotter during those summer days where we were all taking our cars to the limit on old Route 66!

The Evora being a mid engine design with the master clutch cylinder in the back of the car is going to have to deal with a lot more heat, I would think Lotus would have learned from their racing experience this is problem with a mid engine design and put a clutch fluid cooler on the car as well as one for the trans fluid also. I believe there are some good aftermarket coolers for those who drive their car a little harder.
EFE EVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora