The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Steering wheel-just got wonky and t-control light

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  brgelise 
#1 ·
Weirdest thing on my car today...

I parked the car for lunch and everything is fine. After lunch, I drive off and the steering wheel is no longer 'straight' when the car is traveling straight and the Traction control light is on.

I didn't hit anything so no reason the wheels would have become unaligned. Is the car drive by wire? The only thing I can think of is that a steering position sensor got confused.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Absolutely, A front low Pressure would cause both problems causing differential wheel diameters pulling steering to one side and causing a TC fault (buit this should show as a TPS warning) or alternativly a TC fault can cause one wheel braking that pulls the wheel.

#5 ·
How were you parked? Reason I ask is that if you parallel parked it could be that your wheel was obstructed while turning out to leave.

Happened to me once (although not in my Evora).

Db the etc light came on the a code was written and that should give you a clue.

My steering angle sensor caused the etc telltale to come on a few times.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#6 ·
How were you parked?

Db the etc light came on the a code was written and that should give you a clue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Parallel parked in the street with the wheels turned out. However, no curb and I would have known had I hit a curb.

Not sure what you are saying in the second sentence... Can you clarify?

In the morning I'm going to check all tire pressures and maybe unhook the battery to clear all sensors... Force a zero reset across the board.

#7 ·
if the ETC (Electronic Traction Control) light came on, then the ECU logged the error code. That code should tell you what's wrong... at least with the traction control...

As for the steering alignment, I really can't see it coming out of alignment on it's own all of a sudden.. maybe over a long period of time but not instantaneous like this.

#9 ·
Thanks all for the help/advice.

Tire pressure had no issues and I crawled under the car and saw nothing obviously wrong. I also pulled OBD codes and nothing came up.

The steering wheel is about 45 deg (clockwise) off of "up" when the car tracks straight. Obviously something happened for the shift, but I have no idea idea how that happened... To the dealer on Monday.

#12 ·
it happened to me and it happened that quickly as well. My car came out of alignment. All of a sudden it was off by 4-5 inches to the left. I was able to get it to my tire place before having to have it flat bedded and sure enough, it was the alignment. It was so far out that it drove the car's sensors nuts. It was crazy. Needless to say, i had him fix the alignment and tighten the hell out of it so it wouldn't happen again.

#13 ·
Any steering rack involvement potential as I had a bad steering rack? If so I would suspect if you go full lock to full lock you might get things to reset. Just a thought. If it was alignment and something got that loose, I would suspect you'd feel a sloppiness in steering on this otherwise precise car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.