Suggestion: avoid minor accidents - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Suggestion: avoid minor accidents

If anyone is planning to have a "minor accident” in their Lotus, I would not recommend it. Or, at least, have good insurance.

Was driving my MY2011 from Chapel Hill to Chicago and ran over a side view mirror lying on the expressway – doing about 70mph, couldn’t avoid it.

The result, which I can’t explain completely, is that it shattered a small portion of the bumper, then carved a hole in the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire as well as a bit of a dent in the rim. It also slightly scratched up the rocker panel in its travels and finished its work by chipping the rear wheel rim. After getting the front tire replaced (which was not easy on a Sunday), I completed the drive home and called my State Farm insurance agent.

The Lotus has been at the body shop now for almost two months. Ordering parts is how I learned my dealer, Fox Valley, was out of business, so the shop had to order parts from Lake Forest Motors instead. This didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked.

An interesting aside is that they had to replace the front bumper, but apparently 2011 bumpers are not available so they installed a 2012 that was identical except that the grill had to be replaced because the 2011 grill would not work in the 2012 bumper.

Insurance just sent them a check last week for $8,500 to make these repairs and I hope to pick it up this week.
pioneer0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Sorry to hear of your troubles, similar to a friend of mine who throw up some road debris in his corvette it was tossed through the rear quarter body panel out the top.
?? Should have been able to get a B132U0408K used from vin_BH11174 onwards till MY12's; this part did replace A132U0408K sounds like they gave you a C132U0408K used in MY12's.

From parts catalog:
01b Bumper Assembly, front, federal, Primed Includes fixings for LH/ RH grille blanking plate, A132U0408K, USA Obsolete order 01c, see LSL597
01c Bumper Assembly, front, federal, Primed Apertures for side marker lamps limited stock, B132U0408K, no LH / RH grille blanking plate fixings, USA from vin BH_11174
01e Bumper Assembly, front, federal, Primed Also replacement bumper prior MY12*, C132U0408K,
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Doc1.pdf (68.0 KB, 116 views)
'12 Evora S GP Edition (#1/14). Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel ... new to piston power, my other track toys have Rotaries

Last edited by Julian73; 04-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

I'll be honest with you guys. I'm freakin' paranoid to drive this car for fear of any damage and the associated down time.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ran over a truck's driveline last summer in my lowered Jetta. Blended into the color of the road until I was just about right over it. Was either I ruin a few tires/wheels or hope it clears underneath the car. Well it didn't.

Luckily had a skid plate... bent that all to heck (1/4" aluminum) and tore part of the exhaust out of the car.

Glad I didn't have the Lotus, would have totaled it.

Now who leaves a driveline in the middle of the road is beyond me. I'd think that the truck had to get towed.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Someone went into the back of mine at walking-pace when I was stopped at the lights.

Looked like just trim and reverse sensors at the time, but then discovered a little crack in the rear panel.

So, 6500 later for parts alone and I'm inclined to agree with the OP!
SolarShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yikes! Let us know if State Farm raises your rates?
Chris D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yeah, my accident was a "minor" one in a mall parking lot. After 2.5 months and $22,000, it's all better. Glad other party had good insurance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post

Now who leaves a driveline in the middle of the road is beyond me. I'd think that the truck had to get towed.
I would bet it fell off of a truck. I was driving to work on Friday and there were multiple pieces of precut drywall or some such thing lying in a secondary, two lane road; I drove around them because it is spring and you could see them at 6:30 AM. I would find it hard to believe that you wouldn't notice your day's work had left your truck/trailer. Don't go back and pick it up, just leave it there, sheesh!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Didn't think of that.

As for the drywall probably day laborers... "Dunno boss, the truck was empty when we got to the job"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
I would bet it fell off of a truck. I was driving to work on Friday and there were multiple pieces of precut drywall or some such thing lying in a secondary, two lane road; I drove around them because it is spring and you could see them at 6:30 AM. I would find it hard to believe that you wouldn't notice your day's work had left your truck/trailer. Don't go back and pick it up, just leave it there, sheesh!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer0943 View Post
Was driving my MY2011 from Chapel Hill to Chicago and ran over a side view mirror lying on the expressway – doing about 70mph, couldn’t avoid it.
That sucks.

I had a similar experience on a surface road. I ran over a brick of concrete that the car in front had no trouble passing over. But, I was a fool and was not leaving my usual 2-second gap between me and the car in front. I could only slow to about 30mph before hitting it.

It shattered the gel coat on my splitter, scuffed some fiberglass on the bottom of the clam, and then ricocheted into my left front wheel. It hit the wheel so hard that it bent the rim (instant flat tire, BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM) and warped the spokes (it's irreparable).

So, yeah... only the fool ignores the 2-second rule.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-second_rule

metrocube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
www.theapexinn.com

What's a BUMPER ??????????????
Elise #2292 / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com www.apex-inn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
kestrel74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #12 (permalink)

Got caught in a wind storm last fall driving home. Front end got sprayed with gravel picked up on the side of the freeway pitting out the headlights, cracking the windshield and chipping the paint on the front. All totalled was near $8000 ($4000 just for the headlights, hopefully will be here soon!) $1500 for the windshield and rest in paint. No replacement panels only glass. Be wary
BRGEvora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
Headlights still on backorder with no estimate............
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Lckitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mine are supposed to be on their way, on a transport from England now.... Can't wait to get them so I can get it painted and back looking shiny and new!
BRGEvora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel74 View Post
What's a BUMPER ??????????????
"Bumper": English word for 'fender'. English as in England. England as in the place your car is made!
SolarShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarShaun View Post
"Bumper": English word for 'fender'. English as in England. England as in the place your car is made!
Actually the Evora has "bumper's" rather than just front and rear clams and the p[arts are called "bumpers" in the Lotus parts manual. Whereas the front and rear clam shells are ex. bumper and inclusive of the fenders. We may not know what to call the compartments in the front and back of a car but bumper has common meaning between British English and American English. Now our fender is your wing, the thing that blocks spray from a wheel.

Other definition of Bumper common to both sides of Atlantic is "protective device that is not installed on the Elise"
'12 Evora S GP Edition (#1/14). Lotus Driving Academy Level 3 School 1:1 w/ Ed Morris @ Hethel ... new to piston power, my other track toys have Rotaries
Julian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Get the clear plastic put on the lights. It will save them next time! I think it's made by 3M, pretty much the same thing as the "Starshield" but a bit thicker.

A local shop did that and a starshield for about $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGEvora View Post
Got caught in a wind storm last fall driving home. Front end got sprayed with gravel picked up on the side of the freeway pitting out the headlights, cracking the windshield and chipping the paint on the front. All totalled was near $8000 ($4000 just for the headlights, hopefully will be here soon!) $1500 for the windshield and rest in paint. No replacement panels only glass. Be wary
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Don't use anything on the lights. Our lights have a clear coat lamination which can weakens from contact with the adhesives used on the 3M film. When you go to remove the film it will pull off the weakened clearcoat.

I had my lamps replaced for this very reason, and the instructions to not use any film on your headlights came directly from Lotus.
squidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM   #19 (permalink)

I didn't have any clear coat on my lights, they were de-laminating from UV actually. We sanded them down with 600, 2000 then 5000 grit and then put the film on. Was either do that for about $100 or put new lights on... which I wasn't going to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora