Thinking of selling my Exige S and buying an Evora - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Thinking of selling my Exige S and buying an Evora

Been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my 2007 Exige S for a 2011 or 2012 Evora. Thought I was going to keep the Exige for life but I'm now thinking the Evora might be a little more practical. The last couple weeks I have been poking around here in the Evora forum and realize that the Evora is the only car that I can afford, that I would get rid of the Exige for.

Couple questions I have are where should I be looking? I have been checking autotrader, car.com and here, am I missing any other resources? Also prices seem to be all over the place. I'm looking for a manual with tech package at a minimum. I figure a 2011 or 2012 will still have some warranty for me. I daily drive the Exige except in the winter and will do the same with the Evora. I'm thining between $55k and $65k is that doable for a 11 or 12?

For those of you that have gone from an Elise or Exige do you regret it? To be honest if I had the room I would keep the Exige and buy the Evora. Considering the fact that Exige is my dream car i know I will have some regrets. I have sat in an Evora but have not driven one, hope to here in the next month or so.

I would get more use out of the Evora. However, I'm not sure I will get the same level of enjoyment the Exige gives me?
dt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Went from track-ready, modified Elise R to Evora. Have not regret it one single day. More practical, drive it more often, gives more confidence for the average driver given longer wheelbase, not slower in real life even on twisty B roads. Can go reasonably fast on wet roads where the Elige is a real pain. Even hold up well on race tracks. Can be driven in winter and have done that 2 winters on winter tires, goes very well. Carries enough stuff for 2 weeks holiday plus 2 golfbags (pencil bags to be fair, but without holiday luggage 2 carrybags are doable). As much a head turner as the Elise. A more grown up car.

If I would have kept the Elise, I would have never driven it again. Not even tempted to go back on a sunny day.

If you are looking for a fairly practical car with all the Lotus fun, go for it.

Last edited by Sven76; 04-12-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Sven76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven76 View Post
Went from track-ready, modified Elise R to Evora. Have not regret it one single day. More practical, drive it more often, gives more confidence for the average driver given longer wheelbase, not slower in real life even on twisty B roads. Can go reasonably fast on wet roads where the Elige is a real pain. Even hold up well on tracks. Can be driven in winter and have done that 2 winters on winter tires, goes very well. Carries enough stuff for 2 weeks holiday plus 2 golfbags (pencil bags to be fair). As much a head turner as the Elise. A more brown up car.

If I would have kept the Elise, I would have never driven it again. Not even tempted to go back on a sunny day.

If you are looking for a fairly practical carith all the Lotus fun, go for it.
God, I hope you're right. If I'm half as smitten with my new Evora S as I was with my Elise SC I'll be a very happy man.

GuppyCaptain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #4 (permalink)
Stilling doing God's work

Went from an Elise to an Evora S. No regrets. If you are going for the Evora, just make sure it's an S with all the options.
comptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, get an 11 for upper 50s to 62-ish or a 12 (not sure on $ range). Get all the options you can. Many dealers post to ebay but look all over. No regrets here. Absolutely a joy to drive and room for toddlers or stuff. Ride is soooo nice. My wife and I fight over who is driving it next.
Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
Lckitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Had my Elise for 8 yrs and it was a finely honed track animal. Don't miss it and that shocked me!!! I too thought it was a keeper but less compromises in the Evora. Shocked they haven't sold more but introduction during worst recession since the depression defintiely had an impact!! Forget EBay do some real dealer inquiries. They are out there.
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Former Elise owner also. Don't miss it. The Evora has a lot of the feel the Elise has without the jarring ride. $55k to $65K for an n/a Evora should be doable.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've had both. You won't regret a minute of it.
masitr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Glad so many people think / feels the same way.

The Evora is probably one of the most undervalued / - estimated cars, but everybody who's driven it loves it!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ditto....

I am another former Elise owner( 26k miles) and have owned my 2011 Evora for 1 year (13K miles) . I would not consider switching back ( although I would like to also have an Elise) , the Evora is simply much better in every way. I have never found the NA to lack power and on track it has been fantastic. Took mine out for a 'short ' jaunt on Thurs (80 degrees) and came back 350 miles later - fantastic car! Only thing I miss in the Elise is the removable soft top.
When I bought my NA Evora I could have bought an "S" , but for about 24k more than the deal I got on a new 2011 Evora and I have never regretted it. 27 MPG too!
Good luck,
pazuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #11 (permalink)

Garage
I had a 2005 Elise (bought new, and just gave it to my daughter). I love the Elise in many ways, it was a 4th car so I only accumulated just over 14,500 miles. The Evora does every thing the Elise does only better. Yes the Elise is sharper and harder, and louder(stage 2 exhaust). The Evora on the other hand is just better, as an all around car. I have a 2011 2+0 N/A, that I ordered new. I love my car, what would I change if I could go back in time? I would have waited for the S, and the $8000 price drop. Don't get me wrong, I wont be selling my car any time soon. I do think you should go for the newest car that you can afford, with as many options as possible.
The few update that I have done, have made my car a little more enjoyable.
!. New Alpine head unit / W927HD
2. Dead pedal.
3. Leather covered arm rest handles.
4. ROW tail lights, DTRL disable
5. Spliter
6. Lotus sport exhaust
7. 19"x20" wheels

So yes buy the Evora you won't regret it.
Ron
2011 Lotus Evora 2+0
Ron Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage
and the older you get, the more comfort you estimate (although you dont need it) but will you say "no" to an upgrade into business class in a 8 hour flight?
ANUBIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
And, I hear the reward visibility is a little better that the Exige S.
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Not to rain on the parade but I would never take an Evora over an Exige. I'm an Elise owner and would love to upgrade to an Exige but above that it's Porsche for me. I would rather have a Porsche carrerra s that an Evora. The Evora is just not cool in my opinion and I realize it may not be a popular opinion.
Nazxul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Have you ever driven the 911? They are good if not fantastic, but very different from a mid engined car. I feel the Cayman drives much better, I actually dislike the way the 911 drives on turn-in.

Last edited by Sven76; 04-13-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Sven76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
No, I haven't driven one. But I'm thinking the price is around the same as a Carrerra S. I just think the Evora is not as good looking a car unless you spend thousands on upgrades to make it look like a race car. The Porsche looks bad ass from the get go and doesn't need upgrades. And that's porsche, if you're talking Exige/Elise it's no comparison. Those cars are lighter, better looking. i don't know, maybe i just don't like the Evora.
Nazxul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

you're on drugs if you think the weak looking 911 is better then the Evora, you don't get the 911 simply for looks evora looks exotic
shawnmkrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Drove both the evora s and exige sport 260.. I own the 260. Evora did not feel special i prefer cayman r and iEvora is not nearly as fast on b roads as someone stated above. It can't touch an exige

Reliability is and issue and the corvette is better car for the price. If I personally wanted exotic because the corvette is the best bang for buck period. I would look at getting an Aston Martin preowned or a maaserati.....
Those are better cars.
Snake Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazxul View Post
Not to rain on the parade but I would never take an Evora over an Exige. I'm an Elise owner and would love to upgrade to an Exige but above that it's Porsche for me. I would rather have a Porsche carrerra s that an Evora. The Evora is just not cool in my opinion and I realize it may not be a popular opinion.

So you have spent time in the car or are just stating a meaningless opinion. The Mustang as your Avatar expresses your level of expertise on performance cars. Sorry but this thread is for folks that have had both so the info is objective, not subjective. Funny I never thought of a Porsche as "cool" Sorry it comes out harsh but............
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
brgelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazxul View Post
No, I haven't driven one.
LMFAO your making a statement based on your "feelings" not actual experience. You need to drive both; then come back and tell us you'd rather have the Porsch. Your personal attitude toward the ascetics of the vehicle is entitled, although if you saw an Evora in person it would change your mind. I myself wouldn't be caught dead in a $90,000 car that is mistaken for a VW beetle in your rearview.
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora