Thoughts on my Evora S after 1 month of ownership - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

13Likes
  • 1 Post By MrMaru
  • 2 Post By Tazicon
  • 2 Post By ShadowWulf369
  • 1 Post By agentdr8
  • 2 Post By 2011 chrome orange
  • 1 Post By Exira
  • 1 Post By kostas86
  • 2 Post By brgelise
  • 1 Post By West-of-Hethel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thoughts on my Evora S after 1 month of ownership

So today marks exact one month of ownership of my gorgeous 2014 Evora S.

In the month of ownership I was out of town for a week so I didn't get to drive it However, I made up for it since my family always wants to go in the Evora everywhere we go.

For starters, my Evora is my daily driver. In the month that I have owned the car, I have driven it 2000 miles.

1000 of which was to drive it home (Houston) from Tampa.

I am all smiles ear to ear every time I get into it. Sitting in traffic for an hour twice a day doesn't bother me at all. I have done everything from dropping the kids off to getting groceries in it. People want to take pics/videos of it all the time. It's such an easy car to own.

To be honest, I have not washed it since I brought it home. there was barely any bugs on the car on that 1000 miles drive home. The aerodynamics are amazing on the car.

The car is great in 95 degree heat in traffic or a thunderstorm and its raining cats and dogs. I was afraid of just one wiper but it does the job really well in the Houston thunderstorms. I think this is also the reason why I havent needed to wash it. All I do is once I drive home, just wipe the car down and lot let water sit on the car. good as new in 10 minutes.

Now for the little "niggles"

Traction control light going off all the time (thread with solution. made an appointment with dealership to look into/fix)
radio signal being crappy (open thread)
Driver side headlight has some play (will take ti to dealer to tighten a bolt)

those are about all I have come up with in the month I have owned it. I have already bought the oil filter and oil so I am about to be doing my first oil change on the car in a week or so.

Looking forward to years of ownership!
nintense likes this.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Garage
Nice! The head lights are easy but have to be accessed through the wheel well. These cars will have some minor issues but they are a blast to own!
brgelise and MrMaru like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaru View Post

Driver side headlight has some play (will take ti to dealer to tighten a bolt)
Time always seems to fly when thinking about how long you've owned a Lotus! I'm creeping up on my 4 year anniversary and it still feels like I just signed the check haha. Congratulations and the first month is just the beginning.

As for the headlight issue, I definitely had this come up on my car. Both headlights seemed to sag forward in the openings, causing the light to rub on the bumper. As mentioned, accessing these is through the front wheel wells and if you tackle it yourself, you'll have to jack the corner of the car up and remove the wheel. Each headlight is held in by 3 screws, two in the back of the light that control the height and angle of the light and one in the front that keeps the light from moving fore-aft and left-right. The back two are easy to get to no matter what, the front one depends on if you have a radiator on that side. The supercharger has a radiator on the right side of the car (passenger side) and the IPS cars have a radiator on the left side (driver side).

I had noticed my driver side light would wiggle, so I removed the liner for a look. I found that one of the bolts on the light was missing! Turns out, it fell out in time. Wouldn't you know it, these cars are so buttoned up, I found the screw in front of the radiator air channel wedged against the aluminum under body panel. What luck, eh? I lock-tited all the bolts so hopefully the light stays put. I couldn't get to the front fastener on the drivers side due to the radiator. Had to tighten the passenger side as well later and that one was much easier because my car is N/A and didn't have the supercharger radiator. I imagine you could get all fasteners easy on the driver side if your car is a manual.

Anyway, hopefully the other issues are resolved easy enough. I don't even know how the radio sounds in mine because I always just listen to my iPod. haha

Congrats again!
phaphaphooey and MrMaru like this.

2013 Evora IPS - Carbon Grey
2016 BMW 328xi - Estoril Blue

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Garage
As an FYI, make sure you don't over-tighten the forward-most bolts on the headlights; they are screwed into captive nuts that can easily strip out the plastic in which they are mounted. Then the headlights get all sorts of floppy and it's not easily resolved (short of buying a whole new headlight).
MrMaru likes this.

2011 Evora NA - Phantom Black | Paprika | MT | 2+2
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:31 AM

Several owners have indicated their headlights had play from loosened mounting bolts.

And, the easiest way I found to get to the pesky front mounting bolt is to remove the rear headlight mounting bracket completely (4 bolts total plus it helps if someone else can hold the light in position). You then should have enough room to worm your hand up to the front to reach the front bolt. But, you pretty much have to do it by feel as you can't stick your head and arm in there at the same time!
Attached Images

phaphaphooey and MrMaru like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 11:44 AM

Glad to hear that you enjoying the car MrMaru.

I have owned my Evora S for 3 years now and still have the new car excitement every time I drive it (never have this feeling with any other cars I had owned). I too do almost everything with my Evora (kids to school, groceries, office runs, long trips, etc.) Same with the maintenance, I try to do as much as I can myself (oil change, clutch/breakes fuilds, keeping it in pristine condition) and Iím glad it has a Toyota engine. These are the reasons why I brought my Evora S and still enjoyed it today. And I'm confident that my next car upgrade will also be an Evora xxx.
MrMaru likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Keep enjoying, there is never a boring moment when driving a Lotus!
MrMaru likes this.

Lotus Esprit V8
Lotus Exige S240
Lotus Elise *gone to a new home*
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM

I have yet to be in any car brand with this level of built in joy!! I had an Elise for 8yrs. Got teary when it was loaded up for Ca after sale. Had my 2010 for ~3- yrs. No tears here because I already had the 2011 S waiting..... I'm on 4rth sumer with this one aand have no intents on any near future changes. This is MY dream car.
KCZ and MrMaru like this.

16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-->stunning
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
15 Lincoln MKC Reserve Ruby Red, Sand. Sleeper
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather (LUCY)
08 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint Grey, Grey leather
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Update on my traction control issue

I picked up the Evora from the dealer and they said they replaced the brake switch but the light still pops.

They gathered all of the information and sent it to Lotus to investigate. There are no logs for what is causing the error. All it shows is that the error is showing up.

The only thing he can think of is that the central monitoring system that is in the middle of the car might have gone bad? could be caused by jumping the car? I don't know of anytime the car was jumped but either way. we are waiting for Lotus to come back with what the next step is.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage
I tell ya I had mine at the dealer and they couldn't or wouldn't figure it out. I read a thread on here, got down there at the brake switch and did a quick adjustment just to see and its worked ever since. It's worth a try. I believe it was in the Evora "how to" section.

Oh and I ordered a brake light switch and it took so long to come in I had forgotten I had ordered it. At least my dealership doesn't stock them. I ordered it before I tried doing the adjustment.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaru View Post
The only thing he can think of is that the central monitoring system that is in the middle of the car might have gone bad? could be caused by jumping the car? I don't know of anytime the car was jumped but either way. we are waiting for Lotus to come back with what the next step is.
Ah, Star Motorcars. The joyful feeling of dropping your Lotus off with a guy who writes Volvo service orders all day, and of never seeing the same Lotus technician twice. I only take my Evora there when I need an ECU reprogrammed. They're nice people, but the Ts don't get crossed and the Is are generally short a dot. The Lotus "shop" is a former storage area and is so stuffed with cars, parts, equipment and junk that there's hardly room to swing the Lotus Universal Adjustment Special tool A132R8008F (big hammer).

If by "central monitoring unit that is in the middle of the car" you are talking about the yaw sensor mounted amidships in the cabin under the tunnel cover... no, there is no way that could be affected by jumping the battery. It's a cheap part to replace, and takes only a moment to swap out once the tunnel cover's off, but it would be unusual for one to "go bad" for any reason. It's possible this is the cause of your issue, but it sure isn't likely.

I have a spare sensor from a parts car that you could have, but it sounds like you're trying to have things done under warranty with the dealer. Good luck to you-- even during the warranty period, I found it was generally better to turn the wrenches myself, because it saved weeks of waiting and I knew that the work was done right. YMMV.

I have just north of 50k miles on my 2011 now, and I can say that it is just as reliable today as when it was new. Ahem.
MrMaru likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-of-Hethel View Post
Ah, Star Motorcars. The joyful feeling of dropping your Lotus off with a guy who writes Volvo service orders all day, and of never seeing the same Lotus technician twice. I only take my Evora there when I need an ECU reprogrammed. They're nice people, but the Ts don't get crossed and the Is are generally short a dot. The Lotus "shop" is a former storage area and is so stuffed with cars, parts, equipment and junk that there's hardly room to swing the Lotus Universal Adjustment Special tool A132R8008F (big hammer).

If by "central monitoring unit that is in the middle of the car" you are talking about the yaw sensor mounted amidships in the cabin under the tunnel cover... no, there is no way that could be affected by jumping the battery. It's a cheap part to replace, and takes only a moment to swap out once the tunnel cover's off, but it would be unusual for one to "go bad" for any reason. It's possible this is the cause of your issue, but it sure isn't likely.

I have a spare sensor from a parts car that you could have, but it sounds like you're trying to have things done under warranty with the dealer. Good luck to you-- even during the warranty period, I found it was generally better to turn the wrenches myself, because it saved weeks of waiting and I knew that the work was done right. YMMV.

I have just north of 50k miles on my 2011 now, and I can say that it is just as reliable today as when it was new. Ahem.
Awesome,

They actually do have a Lotus Tech now and his name is Thomas. the Lotus garage did seem to be very different than their Volvo but it's alright with me. Thomas did a good job with the brake flush and he replaced the brake switch. He showed me where he was talking to Lotus directly and sent everything that he found from the cars logs and other stuff.

You are absolutely correct, I have a full year warranty left and I intend to use it till its done. I want to make sure its all noted. Once it's over I have no problems in rolling up my sleeves and getting dirty. For one, it saves me time for now and that is worth its weight in gold since I can just drop my car off, get a ride to and from work while they work on it and I have no down time. Leaves my nights and weekends to spend time with my kiddos.

You seem to have gone through quite a bit with your Evora and are local. we have to meet up so I can use you as a resource

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.