Totaled!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Totaled!!

Well, that was quick! I owned my Evora S for exactly 3 weeks when I was hit by a truck and the insurance company totaled the car.

The story goes, I was driving down a side street with a truck in front of me. They overshot their turn. They stopped and started backing up not knowing I was behind them. It was a big work truck with steel bumpers and tow hitch, really wide with no rear view mirror. I saw their reverse lights come on so I tried to get out of first and and into reverse, but to no avail. At the same time, I was laying on the horn, but apparently he didn't hear it. He was still accelerating in reverse when he hit me. At least the guy was a good guy. He was extremely apologetic and got right on the phone to tell his insurance company what happened at that he was 100% at fault. He even called me the next day just to check up.

I am so bummed. I barely got to enjoy the car, although I did manage to put 1,500 miles on it in 3 weeks! The car was perfect, down to full suede-Tex with red contrast stitching... so beautiful!

I had just wrapped and tinted the car the day before and finally had the car set up exactly how I wanted.

Now it's back to searching for an Evora. If anyone is thinking of selling an Evora S with suede-Tex, message me as I'm back in the market!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:02 PM

that can't be totaled from what I see... doesnt seem high speed damage so mostly cosmetic. time for a new clamshell, radiator and headlights.

I bet you can pick it back up from the insurance for cheap.

but really sucks. sorry to hear that.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:03 PM

Garage
Yikes. What was damaged frame-wise? Could be a great starting point for a track-car build.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:04 PM

Wow, I'm really surprised that is totaled.

I was looking at one in Overland Park, KS that is for sale at a Jeep Dealership - that happens to be right next to BOE Fab should you want them to do anything/inspection on it:

Used 2013 Lotus Evora Coupe For Sale Near Kansas City MO in Overland Park, KS | VIN: SCCLMDSU1DHA10022

I can tell you that it was in an accident in the past, however. They have the documentation for the repairs by a very reputable body shop in Missouri. I spoke with the body shop, they said it was superficial damage and was just paint repair and replacing the rear wheels. Most of the cost on the repair was replacing the wheels as they couldn't be refinished and the starshield.

They said they would take $51,000 for it as it is, but I wasn't willing to pay that much. It is a 2013 and suedetex though, pretty rare in terms of availability.

The body shop outside St. Louis, MO also said they would stand by the lifetime warranty on the paint/body work that they did, should that ever be an issue for some reason.

Good luck! I wish I could buy the seats from you out of that one.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:24 PM

RIP Evora and I hope you find what you are looking for.....my insurance
company totaled my dearly departed 2006 Elise and I purchased a 2008
Exige with the insurance check plus my contribution. It worked out well.

How close were you following? Could you see the trucks side mirrors?
I am curious about safe following distance as applied to a Lotus.
What you experienced has always been my biggest fear. (Exige S240 owner)

-Robert

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:26 PM

Not sure how much following distance applies if they throw it in reverse. Safe following distance is to make sure in an emergency you can react & stop before reaching them. There isn't really a condition you can add to that "also stopping far enough back that if they slam it in reverse on a public road they won't eventually run into you".
KCZ, Habious and lobuzz311 like this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:43 PM

So sorry to hear, that looked like a gorgeous spec'd car too. Hope you find another spec'd exactly how you want it.
I feel much safer and easier seen in my Esprit than my S240(orange) or Elise(yellow), even with the bright colors.

Lotus Esprit V8
Lotus Exige S240
Lotus Elise *gone to a new home*
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Esseye, I've actually already contacted them about that car. Concerned about the damage, but I saw photos before it was repaired and read through the work done, and it seems like it should be good to go. Still not convinced on the price, since there would be a hit on the sale side too. That's good to know that BOE is right there. If I go that route I'll reach out to him for his opinion... and probably buy a CAI because why not.

Geico, who is my insurer estimated it at $30k. Their insurer, State Farm quoted $47k. I paid $56k. Both wanted to total it as they didn't want to deal with the rarity, hard to get parts, etc.

I don't think it needed to be totaled and part of me was hoping it wouldn't be. I looked at it pretty closely and it looked all cosmetic. There is possibility of extremely minor frame damage on the front aluminum piece, but it looked like it was just scraped up a bit from the trailer hitch, which came through the hood. No airbags deployed either. Whenever this pops up on wire wheel or somewhere, it's going to be a great starting point for a project, track car, whatever.

As for fault, it was pretty cut and dry. We were each going about 20mph. He slowed and I figured he was turning into a driveway on the right. I began slowing too. He stopped, so I stopped about 30 feet behind him. He then began backing up and didn't hear me laying on the horn. Also, because the gearbox is so notchy, I couldn't get out of first and untie reverse in time. By the time he hit me he was probably going 10-15mph in reverse. There was nothing I could do.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:53 PM

Yeah, I'm with you on the value for resale on the one in Kansas. That's what I told them as well - I'd be at closer to 47 on it due to the history. They told me they have wholesalers offering @ 51 on it, but that they're hanging on for a few weeks to see if a customer will want it instead.

My guess is the wholesalers will conveniently "lose" the documentation/history of the accident and end up selling it to someone without it disclosed. So someone will probably get screwed.

If I were you, I wouldn't accept it being totaled. I'd tell them that the repair cost is too low to total out, they seem to have already admitted as much with their estimates. You probably have to push on them - but I don't see any reason they would be allowed to total a car that doesn't actually justify being totaled by the repair cost.

I don't think it would even be 30k to be honest. They're correct about the long time to get parts, but it's not THAT bad.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:59 PM

Garage
I found your problem, your engine is missing:
Aedo and MrMaru like this.
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll reach out to the shop I had it towed to get their opinion. I know that they did the estimates for the insurance companies, but then I assume the companies modified them as they saw fit. I'm also worried about resale on it if I'm able to bring it back to life, as that info is out there and it won't be worth as much, even if it's all cosmetic. I just don't want to give up a car that was specced exactly how I wanted, with that perfect interior.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Acslater, LOL!! Mystery solved!
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM

What a huge bummer. That is a beautiful Evora. Hopefully you can get them to fix it to 100% or find another one with the payout. Good luck.

2005 Elise - Storm Titanium
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:10 PM

I don't think the resale is going to hurt you any more than the gap loss on the totaled value. You paid 57k, but what are they offering? If they're only offering you 45k to total it, I don't think you're going to have resale worse than 45k after it's rebuilt.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:12 PM

Sorry to hear of this. Its one of my fears every time I drive mine.
Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck with your search on the next one!
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Garage
Sad to see but hopefully you can move on quickly. Glad you weren't hurt, that is the main thing. The car is just that, a car and can be replaced.
Aedo likes this.
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM

I'm afraid of this every day I drive mine... I daily mine and have put on 3K miles on it in the last 2 months.

2014 Autumn Bronze Evora S
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazicon View Post
Sad to see but hopefully you can move on quickly. Glad you weren't hurt, that is the main thing. The car is just that, a car and can be replaced.
That's what I said to the guy when he hit me. He felt so terrible, but I said, it's just a car. Good thing no one was injured. In the grand scheme of life it's not that big a deal and can be replaced.

My payout was very fair (after some discussion about rarity and the fact that I hadn't even made my first loan payment), so I have no issues with that. Now I just have to be patient and diligent finding another.
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:34 PM

Ah, if that's the case and you aren't taking an insurance value hit, then yeah - move on. That in itself is a rarity!
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaru View Post
I'm afraid of this every day I drive mine... I daily mine and have put on 3K miles on it in the last 2 months.
Still worth it! I plan on doing it again when I get a replacement. The way it happened and the type of vehicle involved, I don't think he would have seen me if I was in my bright green Jeep Wrangler on 37's. He couldn't see directly behind him and it is a normally empty street. He had no reason to think there would be a car behind him. And with only side mirrors and a wide load, any car behind him would have been hit. At least my Jeep could have put up a fight with its steel bumper. The Lotus didn't stand a chance unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Evora

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.