The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Very, very bad Evora turbo news.

11K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  chylld 
#1 ·
Well. Today hasn't gone great.
While testing, the supercharger broke apart. A rotor destroyed itself for no apparent reason, and fed the engine chunks of metal.

I do not believe this was of any fault of the tune, afr was perfect, timing was perfect. The supercharger likely could not take the added heat.

I'm going to pull the motor, and just decide where to go from there. Unless the supercharger had a failure for some other obvious reason. Likely I will just go turbo only.

#6 ·
-eek--eek--eek--eek--eek--eek--eek-:eek::eek::eek::crazyeyes:crazyeyes:crazyeyes

That sounds horrible. I admire your effort :bow:

#7 ·
Wow, sorry to hear this.
I know the feeling, having blown up a 2.5L 911 Race engine a couple years ago.
It was the most exotic engine I've ever built, with Pankl Ti Rods, and all the really good stuff.
Probable cause was the GT3 oil pump, that drew so strong from the oil tank as to collapse a -16 Aeroquip line.
Fortunately, that was only the 2nd Race Engine I've ever lost since 1975.

Turbo charging an NA engine sounds like a good way to go.
Low Mileage Rav4 2GRFE engines can be bought for less than $3K.
The Rav4 2GRFE has the oil/water heat exchanger like the Evora, where the Camary's does not.

#8 · (Edited)
I'll probably just put new Pistons and rods in my motor if the heads are block are ok

#9 ·
Oh man, I didn't realize you were going twin charged. Perhaps too much pressure hitting the supercharger rotors?

The guys at MonkeyWrench Racing seem to have a lot of 2GRFE parts and bits if you need to cobble together an engine. They sell built short blocks and other misc parts. Good luck and thanks for experimenting. I'm very interested in a turbo set-up down the road. Only got 2K miles on mine so going to enjoy it for a while.

#10 ·
Alright I'm 4 hours in and about to remove clam. Lotus's 40hrs is doddling..

Attachments

#15 ·
There is a thing in Dallas and Houston, where videos taken of street racing and hooning and such are always said to be "filmed in Mexico" when posted on social media, supposedly to prevent if from being used as evidence.
So it's been a running joke amongst my friends to go to car meets with sombreros or ponchos on. barely fits on me in the lotus.

#14 ·
damn, sorry to hear. Was hoping to see more progress!

#17 ·
I do not believe this was of any fault of the tune, afr was perfect, timing was perfect. The supercharger likely could not take the added heat.
My dealer (a Lotus race team) figured that out a long time ago. The stock TVS1320 supercharger is already at thermal reliability limits at 350hp (for track use) and their only recommended way of reliably upgrading the power is to switch to a TVS1900, or implement some sort of charge-cooling system a la the Evora 400's Edelbrock unit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.