ECU Simulator to Pass Emission Test with Standalone ECU - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Seb
BANNED

o2 sensor simulators are pretty simple. All they do is send the correct voltage readings that would be given for a working catalytic converter. It's pretty simple when you think about it.

The other option is just using a spark plug anti foiler. Simply screw one into your o2 bung, and screw the o2 sensor into that. Works just fine.
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb View Post
o2 sensor simulators are pretty simple. All they do is send the correct voltage readings that would be given for a working catalytic converter. It's pretty simple when you think about it.

The other option is just using a spark plug anti foiler. Simply screw one into your o2 bung, and screw the o2 sensor into that. Works just fine.
OBD2 Simulator is different from a o2 simulator
sinautoscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #23 (permalink)
Seb
BANNED

Ooo... I see now. I just assumed. That's pretty cool.
Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #24 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinautoscan View Post
If theres not check engine, the right amount of monitors are ready, and the car is on you have a passing vehicle when it comes to the OBD2 Testing
Not entirely, the CVN also has to match, currently they information in most CARB testing facilities is only sent to the state HQ and not actually used, but they do know about it. All the car OEM's have to supply the CVNs so they know which ones are acceptable.

The gotham/katana's will pass a sniffer test and pass all the OBD II readiness codes as well ( some of the early 06 ones failed, but i fixed that a while ago) but the CVN will be different.

No one I know checks the CVN except for the state referee, but if you're unlucky enough to have to go there then you've got other problems. i don't know if they're open again yet either.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
Not entirely, the CVN also has to match, currently they information in most CARB testing facilities is only sent to the state HQ and not actually used, but they do know about it. All the car OEM's have to supply the CVNs so they know which ones are acceptable.

The gotham/katana's will pass a sniffer test and pass all the OBD II readiness codes as well ( some of the early 06 ones failed, but i fixed that a while ago) but the CVN will be different.

No one I know checks the CVN except for the state referee, but if you're unlucky enough to have to go there then you've got other problems. i don't know if they're open again yet either.
The OBD2 Machine use here by the state {NY} is a regular scantool it has the ability to check for readiness monitors, Trouble Codes, Check the MIL, and check the Vehicle's Protocol if the protocol match there should be no problem.

The Machine has the ability to read the VIN but vehicle makers are not require to have this feature how would you know what makers support the VIN reading and which ones don't.

Only now are vehicles makers force to have the same OBD2 protocol which is the CAN BUS Protocol.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinautoscan View Post
The OBD2 Machine use here by the state {NY} is a regular scantool it has the ability to check for readiness monitors, Trouble Codes, Check the MIL, and check the Vehicle's Protocol if the protocol match there should be no problem.

The Machine has the ability to read the VIN but vehicle makers are not require to have this feature how would you know what makers support the VIN reading and which ones don't.

Only now are vehicles makers force to have the same OBD2 protocol which is the CAN BUS Protocol.
You're obviously not familiar enough with it, I haven't mentioned a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), only a CVN ( Calibration Verification Number )they're entirely different and all OBD II testing compliant readers can read it.

Like i said no one really checks for it except for the state referee, it is recorded by the CARB testers when you go for a smog check, and that data is sent to the state.. but its always good to be informed about what really happens so you can be prepared for it.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
You're obviously not familiar enough with it, I haven't mentioned a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number), only a CVN ( Calibration Verification Number )they're entirely different and all OBD II testing compliant readers can read it.

Like i said no one really checks for it except for the state referee, it is recorded by the CARB testers when you go for a smog check, and that data is sent to the state.. but its always good to be informed about what really happens so you can be prepared for it.

I know several people using this on a daily basis for over 1 year maybe more with no problems maybe the CVN is something that the state doesnt look at in NY at least.

Can you tell me more about the CVN
Old 09-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

A CVN is a computed checksum of the calibration data inside the ecu (the tune), its calculated every time the ECU is switched on, when the manufacturer issues an official CARB/EPA firmware they provide the CVN along with the testing information. Its then recorded by CARB on their centralised database, if the number read from the car in a smog test is different, its a fail. However as i said i've never heard of anyone failing that test unless they went to the referee.

The information about your car is fed to the state though, so that numbers on there.

Everyone pretty much gets away with it, most places just pass you regardless. Half the problem is no doubt the government can't get its act together and build a properly networked system and some of the smog shops are just too far behind technically to handle it. But the advanced newer shops are networked and can just do a PASS/FAIL, the EPA just has to flip that switch.

Remember its an EPA law, so federal not state.

Also if you get caught with an o2 simulator or ecu simulator thats designed to defraud any of the emissions stuff, its upto a $2,700 federal fine (plus any local/state fines) for the owner of the car, and a much larger one for whomever sold it.

Turning off the MIL light is one thing, making the ecu appear like its passed, another.

Its also illegal to even offer them for sale, and if you think the EPA never does anything about it, talk to caspers electronics see what they say about it, that is if he's still in business.

as said most people get away with it, but i reckon its always best to know the worst case.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
A CVN is a computed checksum of the calibration data inside the ecu (the tune), its calculated every time the ECU is switched on, when the manufacturer issues an official CARB/EPA firmware they provide the CVN along with the testing information. Its then recorded by CARB on their centralised database, if the number read from the car in a smog test is different, its a fail. However as i said i've never heard of anyone failing that test unless they went to the referee.

The information about your car is fed to the state though, so that numbers on there.

Everyone pretty much gets away with it, most places just pass you regardless. Half the problem is no doubt the government can't get its act together and build a properly networked system and some of the smog shops are just too far behind technically to handle it. But the advanced newer shops are networked and can just do a PASS/FAIL, the EPA just has to flip that switch.

Remember its an EPA law, so federal not state.

Also if you get caught with an o2 simulator or ecu simulator thats designed to defraud any of the emissions stuff, its upto a $2,700 federal fine (plus any local/state fines) for the owner of the car, and a much larger one for whomever sold it.

Turning off the MIL light is one thing, making the ecu appear like its passed, another.

Its also illegal to even offer them for sale, and if you think the EPA never does anything about it, talk to caspers electronics see what they say about it, that is if he's still in business.

as said most people get away with it, but i reckon its always best to know the worst case.
I mean i sell my products to software developers mainly the use it to test out the scantool software and check to see if it works with all the protocols, could i be blame for someone buying my product and using it to defraud? How would i know how they are even using it?

I know of a couple of companies selling this in the US scantool.net & Ease

Casper Electronics was selling o2 simulators the only purpose of that is to cheat the system not like OBD2 simulators they have another purpose.

Last edited by sinautoscan; 09-21-2009 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

Yeah i realise its primary function, i have a jimstim and a few others myself which i use for simulation and testing.

But if a company were to suggest or promote it as a solution to defeat emission testing that'd be illegal. Regardless of what else it could do, in the past they've based it on sales count etc, like how many obd ii developers that need an ecusim are there , versus how many simulators have been sold..

Casper's sold a lot of units, they ended up just having to rebuy them all and destroy them, luckily they only got an $80,000 fine since thats all they could afford, it was initially a lot higher.

off road doesn't work either since it doesn't apply as an exemption to emissions.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #31 (permalink)

Al have to take caution i don't want to market these simulators the wrong way and get fined by the EPA.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

ECU SIMULATOR SOFTWARE

i was doing some research and i found this YouTube - OBD II Simulator

Computer based ECU Simulator Software
Old 09-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #33 (permalink)
OSX Black hat

Looks like a well made device. I just use a software simulator instead for obdii.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #34 (permalink)

I hope Texas never gets to be like California.

Sounds like a prison.
92 Toyota Previa
DWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #35 (permalink)

Where can we get that program and cable that you have a picture up there?
ferruchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #36 (permalink)

Good product

Sin, I would like to try this product. Please check your PM.
gemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWebb View Post
I hope Texas never gets to be like California.

Sounds like a prison.
Just a warning - Virginia, Texas, California, and several other states have automatic road side emission tests. Here's a thread about it: Road Side Emission Tests

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:58 PM   #38 (permalink)

screen shot
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #39 (permalink)

you also need something to rig the CEL, to only display when switched on, and turn off after starting..
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #40 (permalink)

The latest generation of test tools will not be fooled by this as it is able to detect many settings such as distance since MIL reset, monitors, monitor states and all that. If your standalone could support a full series of obd2 messages then perhaps it could be programmed to fool the tester. Given what can be done with the factory ECU that seems to be the best option.

-Michael
hackish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Powertrain (Engine, Transmission, etc) > Engine Control (ECU)