Tesla Model S - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Tesla Model S

Anyone have any further info on this car?
Is it able to seat 5?
Release date is supposed to be mid 2012....anyone put down a deposit?

2012 Tesla Model S Review and Prices - Consumer Guide Automotive

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. Though at this point in the reservation line you might be looking at a 2013 delivery.

Model S | Tesla Motors

2010 Tesla Roadster
2008 Lotus Exige S240 sold
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 07:42 PM

I wonder what the real price will be. A Volt is almost $60k out the door around here.

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

How does it compare to Fiskar?

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM

well, firstly it seats 5 adults and two children so a total of seven. secondly, it looks like an Aston, has a ten inch touch screen that controls all the cars functions, it will have a range(with the larger battery back) of 500km and it goes from 0-60 in roughly 5 seconds, all while costing little more than the volt
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoritzR1 View Post
well, firstly it seats 5 adults and two children so a total of seven. secondly, it looks like an Aston, has a ten inch touch screen that controls all the cars functions, it will have a range(with the larger battery back) of 500km and it goes from 0-60 in roughly 5 seconds, all while costing little more than the volt
17" touchscreen

2010 Tesla Roadster
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 02:29 PM

Beautiful Car. I looked into these a year ago and my research is a little rusty so correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read that the batteries had to be replaced every couple of years for around $18,000.

Not to get off topic but here is another electric car worthy of owning if it weren't so expensive.

post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:15 PM
glb

Hmmm

I can drive either of my cars to Ohio easily in less than one day.

In an electric car, that'd be 3-4 days.

I'll pass.

or, I'd buy a hybrid.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Hmmm

I'll pass.

or, I'd buy a hybrid.
One can easily make a similar argument against your gas or hybrid car. Eg. you can fly to Ohio in less than 2 hours. You can email Ohio in less than a minute. You can pick up the phone and call Ohio in less than 10 seconds!
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 06:56 AM
nak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Kerr View Post
One can easily make a similar argument against your gas or hybrid car. Eg. you can fly to Ohio in less than 2 hours. You can email Ohio in less than a minute. You can pick up the phone and call Ohio in less than 10 seconds!
Or do like me and wake up in Ohio every morning.
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Hmmm

I'll pass.

or, I'd buy a hybrid.
The problem is that you'd then be in Ohio, which would totally suck!

Just jabbing the Ohioans!

As for the S - beautiful car, but seems to be wrought with delays and the usual issues with e-cars (range, price, etc).
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:16 PM
glb

Quote:
That is just a bit absurd to my mind. Surely, you know that there are times where one might want or need to drive across a few states.

In those cases, electric cars turn a one day trip into 3.

But, i agree: better to fax or call Ohio than visit.

Altho, they do have a nice cavern i visited after Indy LOG.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
That is just a bit absurd to my mind. Surely, you know that there are times where one might want or need to drive across a few states.

only if the electric car does not have on board power generation.... no all electric cars are (will be) plug in only.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:

I don't think it's absurd at all.

Yes there might be people that need to drive across multiple states on a regular basis, but the number must be very small. The only time I would do it is if I was taking a vacation, in which case I may as well rent a car for that purpose.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoritzR1 View Post
Those kids are wedged under the rear glass or in each wheel well or something. I hope I'm wrong, but Tesla doesn't have a clue how to manufacture a quality car at a low price. The first Tesla was more like you or I walking into Lotus with a battery pack and a dream. Were it not for the Elise, GM's early dream the the Elise could be a platform, and Lotus' vast experience as engineering for hire, Tesla would still be waving their hands. I'm afraid the same must be said about Fisker. Are there more than a handful of people in history who were able to start up from scratch with a commodity product like a car. Bespoke and poor value for the money has been done many times, but ask yourself how you employ all those people, finance all that tooling, lease/buy the factory space, sell at a good value, and make enough profit to make investors and yourself satisfied that it wasn't a mistake leaving that 6 figure job you left in the established industry. I'm not a hater, but I'm seeing more spin than sweat out of Tesla, Fisker, and Aptera. It's too bad, because as Lotus proved with the Elise and all their cars before it, a car can be more than the sum of its parts bin parts.

Maybe these three would have spent their money more wisely buying or partnering with a cottage industry shop like TVR, Morgan, Marcos and slowly growing it into a bigger business with real profits and a base of owners instead of VC and hype.

Mechanical sympathy makes us better mechanics and better owners. Ducati dry clutches .... I just don't get it.
post #16 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlInSanDiego View Post
Those kids are wedged under the rear glass or in each wheel well or something. I hope I'm wrong, but Tesla doesn't have a clue how to manufacture a quality car at a low price. The first Tesla was more like you or I walking into Lotus with a battery pack and a dream. Were it not for the Elise, GM's early dream the the Elise could be a platform, and Lotus' vast experience as engineering for hire, Tesla would still be waving their hands. I'm afraid the same must be said about Fisker. Are there more than a handful of people in history who were able to start up from scratch with a commodity product like a car. Bespoke and poor value for the money has been done many times, but ask yourself how you employ all those people, finance all that tooling, lease/buy the factory space, sell at a good value, and make enough profit to make investors and yourself satisfied that it wasn't a mistake leaving that 6 figure job you left in the established industry. I'm not a hater, but I'm seeing more spin than sweat out of Tesla, Fisker, and Aptera. It's too bad, because as Lotus proved with the Elise and all their cars before it, a car can be more than the sum of its parts bin parts.

Maybe these three would have spent their money more wisely buying or partnering with a cottage industry shop like TVR, Morgan, Marcos and slowly growing it into a bigger business with real profits and a base of owners instead of VC and hype.

fisker and tesla have completely different business models...

tesla does plan to build their cars from scratch, in their own factory. (old ford plant in detroit)

fisker is not building anything other than IP and managing the design and engineering. it will be built by Valmet. Fisker owns no production or factory.

"I really started paying attention to cars was when they came out with the Nissan Z, the first body. Then I seen the Cherokees, the old square ones, and I was like, “Wow, that’s cool.” Then I seen the Isuzu jeeps and I seen the Wranglers."
-Lotus Cars VP of Global Design
post #17 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:23 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitfan View Post
only if the electric car does not have on board power generation.... no all electric cars are (will be) plug in only.
Do you mean such as a hybrid, which would be my choice ahead of all electric?

post #18 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:35 PM
glb

Quote:
I don't think it's absurd at all.

Yes there might be people that need to drive across multiple states on a regular basis, but the number must be very small. The only time I would do it is if I was taking a vacation, in which case I may as well rent a car for that purpose.
Do you stay only at home on weekends?

Seriously, picture this typical scenario:

My girl and I are visiting the next state over (NYS in my case). We've gone about 1/2 of capacity.

She says, "Oh, there's a great museum/shop/restaurant, that I'd love to visit while we're in the area. It's only an hour away."

Me "Sure, let's go!"

You: "Oh, wait, I need to rent a car...."

Now, if batteries become interchangeable, with maybe 1-3 sizes, and could be swapped out in 10 or so minutes, that makes all electric more feasible for a large part of the population.

That, tho, is not on the near horizon.

As commuter cars only, electrics have got to come down in price, which they will, to make financial sense. Those are very limited-use vehicles.

If your electricity is generated by coal, you're not helping with pollution as much as you (might) think. There are now charts showing the affects of this.

I would advise anyone interested in high mileage, low pollution, to get a Prius. We now know how well they hold up over 10 yrs and 100k miles, i.e. as good as new.

Please note, i'm not trying to convince you - or anyone - to agree with me.

Early adopters are great....for the rest of us. More power to you. oh, sorry...

post #19 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 01:47 PM

FFS, anyone can come up with an argument against anything.

ANYTHING.

I can bitch about not being able to drive to Hawaii. What? I have to buy a ticket on an AIRPLANE? This car is WORTHLESS.

The fact is: a 150 mile per day range is more than enough for the vast majority of people and their travel habits. It simply makes no sense to reject something because it's ONLY 90% perfect.

2010 Tesla Roadster
2006 Lotus Elise RIP
post #20 of 72 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcoupe View Post
Beautiful Car. I looked into these a year ago and my research is a little rusty so correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I read that the batteries had to be replaced every couple of years for around $18,000.
no

Phantom Black 2007 Exige Kold Fire, Tesla double din dash.
Black 01' Mustang Cobra 'Vert ("some" modifications) daily driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Electric Avenue- Tesla, ZAP, Dodge EV1, electric Lotus cars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.