Looking for Aubergine Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Looking for Aubergine Elise

Hi all. I know they're like unicorns, but I'm looking for an Aubergine Elise. I've been wanting an Elise for years now and am finally in the position to get my dream car. I'm not so concerned with the package, and can spend in the $29-31K range, bonuses for black LSS wheels, black interior and/or roll-down windows ( I know...) but like I said that's not that important. Under 35k miles ideal but with the right owner(s) I could go higher.

I've thought of painting one of another color (like gluing a horn on a horse?), but I'm concerned a quality repaint (of say a white one, since I understand the base color would be correct-ish) will just be too pricey here in the Bay Area.

I've been looking in all the usual places (this forum, AutoTrader, Cars.com, eBay, Craigslist) for the last 6 months or so and decided to see if anyone out there in Lotus Talk land is interested in selling, or has any leads.

I'm fine with travelling and am patient for the right car. I am just in love with how these cars handle, and with the design, so I'm planning on keeping it a long time.

Thanks in advance for any advice. As a new member, I have to say this forum is just awesome!
Car-chitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think your pricing is on the low side, by about $5k.
And you shouldn't be posting that you really want one color, because it severely restricts your ability to negotiate.

I've never seen an "aubergine" Elise come up since I've been on this forum (since last Sept.). So be prepared to wait a good year or more, and to spend more than $30k.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think Rob at Dietsch Werks was talking about an aubergine Elise being for sale recently. You could try giving him a call.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonS View Post
I think Rob at Dietsch Werks was talking about an aubergine Elise being for sale recently. You could try giving him a call.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
if i remember correctly i think that's an Exige. i could be wrong though :P that color is beautiful!
Old 05-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

Have you seen one in the flesh? I have, and understand the reason why only a few were made.
andy7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

an exige with slight (very slight) damage popped up for 26999 some months back, but the seller seemed very finicky about letting it go. I don't think he sold it, but you could always PM him with an offer
2008 Buell XB9SX
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input, guys. I'll check with Rob at Dietsch Werks.

Also, I am looking at several other colors, (bordeaux, canyon red, polar blue, black, nightfall blue, graphite grey, even autumn gold but those are more rare than aubergine) so it's not like "I must have this color at any cost." It's just that the aubergine has been harder to locate, and is my first choice so far, so I decided to open it up to the kind folks on this forum. I'm probably going to wind up going to a different color but I thought I'd give it a shot here before moving on.

And no, I have not seen one in person yet and I am more than a little worried about it. Purple is a hard color to get right, but from all the photos I've seen I love it. That said, if anyone has one or knows where I can go look at one (besides calling Rob, which I'll do) that would be a great help before I spend any more time on this particular path.

And I saw that Exige and, yes, it seemed like he didn't really want to sell it after all. I'll see what he says, thanks. It must be hard to let a Lotus go once you own one! What would you buy to replace it?

Last edited by Car-chitect; 05-02-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Your approaching this problem from the wrong angle.
You need to choose the lowest mileage, best condition car first, and then accept the color it is.

You can always cheaply, and temporarily change the color using a wrap, or plastidip. At that point you can make it any color, and then make it some other color in the future. The future you ensured when you chose a low mileage car in the first place.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks, I hear you about the right car being most important- and the wrap is potentially a good idea. I've always wanted a matt green car... Any idea how much a well-applied wrap would cost?

And I got in touch with Rob at Dietsch Werks, and he actually has an Aubergine '05 that he's turning into a race car, and an Aubergine front and rear clam from that customer's Exige (clam damage seems so easy to get on these cars), so I'm going to go down there next week and take a look in person and see what I think.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yes buy the best car, but also just as important buy the car you want. If you want a unique car you will find it. I for one would never buy a Yellow or Orange Elise as they seem to be everywhere, unless the price was very right (I have walked away from a few). I almost bought a Bordeaux one in TN about 2 years ago, but passed. Still regret it to this day. I ended up buying a Boxster because the price was fabulous, but it was Silver and I never wanted a Silver Porsche. I sold it less than a year later, I hated the color that much. I even sold it for a few bucks more than I paid with 10,000 more miles and bald tires.
sparecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, that elusive balance between the right car and the right color is pretty much the key for me. I've never actually owned a car whose color I hated (except the blue interior in my blue Honda S2000, but I loved the exterior paint color) but definitely some I loved more than others. My burgundy 1971 Alfa GTV comes to mind, as does my dark bronze '79 911 SC Targa. I'm hoping to love the Elise as much.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #12 (permalink)

There was only one AP Exige officially produced (special order paint) and it was Aerosmith's drummer's car. It suffered front and rear damage early in its life.

AP was only about 1.5% of the color production for Elises (US) which means less than 50 for 2005 and 2006 total, hard to find!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-chitect View Post
Yeah, that elusive balance between the right car and the right color is pretty much the key for me. I've never actually owned a car whose color I hated (except the blue interior in my blue Honda S2000, but I loved the exterior paint color) but definitely some I loved more than others. My burgundy 1971 Alfa GTV comes to mind, as does my dark bronze '79 911 SC Targa. I'm hoping to love the Elise as much.

Heh, I had a burgundy '71 GTV too! Not a bad color but not great either.

The aubergine still sucks, truly. It's a fancy word for purple. Saab made an "aubergine" too back in the 90's and my sister-in-law had one.

I actually did see one and hated it. A guy here in Michigan had it. All you can do is put in a black interior; it looked like a '70's disco. You almost had to wear white polyester pants and a wide-tipped shirt to drive it.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Haha! Maybe I'll grow some mutton chops and start smoking cigarillos...

Cool you had a burgundy '71 GTV! I loved that car at redline... and the awesome WOOD steering wheel! Mine got rear-ended and totalled by a drunk lady on the freeway.

It's funny how some colors really polarize people. I'm not a big fan of the Krypton Green myself, but those cars seem to command a premium. To each his own, I guess. I'll reserve judgement until I see the Aubergine one at Rob's in person. Again, the pictures look gorgeous to me...

And as far as the rarity of colors goes, I found the "how rare is Autumn Gold" thread but haven't found any overall "colors in the US by percentage" data like the 1.5% are Aubergine number from Uncle Sam. I'm sure there must be a thread on here somewhere. I am wondering how rare the Nightfall Blue is (another I love in pictures but have yet to see in person), and the Phantom Black as well. I'm not a fan of the strong metal flake in the Starlight Black.

And, yes, I'm feeling very fortunate to be able to be sitting here fantasizing about which color Lotus to get! My wife, on the other hand, is working on trying to stop fracking in California. How virtuous is that? ...(unless you're in the oil industry...) Wives sure do make for a contrast of hobbies sometimes.

Last edited by Car-chitect; 05-03-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Well, the nighfall blue is what I have, and I think it's a great color, obviously. In the right light the Lotus metallics look really good on the curves of the body. It's a fairly rare color too, but not that rare, if I recall maybe 200 of them were made in 2005, and after that it may have been discontinued.

Starlight black is a great color too when clean.

I also saw an autumn gold, and unlike the photos, it is a very nice color for the Elise, maybe not so much for the Exige. I can see how in the sample books it looked like a cheesy gold, but in person it is awesome.

Another rare and great color that I've only seen once is Polar blue. If I wanted a tourer Elise, that with biscuit interior would be it.

It was easier to be picky about colors when the '05's were 3-4 years old in '08-09. Lots and lots were being sold by the original owners whose wives hated the car. Even then I went a 1000 miles to pick up my NB Elise. Now it's much more a seller's market, I think.

And yes, the GTV was a fun car but for its oxidation rate. Slick transmission and an Ansa exhaust, all I needed was Sophia Loren next to me.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
It's a fancy word for purple.
It's a French word that means "eggplant".
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
It must be hard to let a Lotus go once you own one! What would you buy to replace it?
A faster Lotus.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

There was a list of percentages of Elises/Exiges produced in each color about 2007on this site. I just did the math. I had NFB and it was about 2.5-3.0% of the total 2005 and 2006 as I remember. AG was the lowest at around 0.5 % which made it less than two dozen.

BTW AP with Biscuit was my first color choice when I saw this car was coming to the US in 2004. There is no accounting for taste!
Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7777 View Post
And yes, the GTV was a fun car but for its oxidation rate. Slick transmission and an Ansa exhaust, all I needed was Sophia Loren next to me.
Hey, with Sophia Loren by your side, who cares what you're driving!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha! Maybe I'll grow some mutton chops and start smoking cigarillos...
That's the spirit!
anthonyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars Wanted