A bit of Tesla - Lotus history - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Cogito ergo zoom!

A bit of Tesla - Lotus history

Rob Dietsch, of Dietsch Werks in San Jose, Ca., purchased the first Elise shell "mule" for the development of the Tesla Roadster. Interesting blog entry:

The Tesla Mule 1: Where It All Began | Dietsch Werks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 AM
$3(uR3 u$3r

Nice find. Thanks for posting.

-Alex

2008 Elise SC - Solar Yellow
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:23 AM

If I ever go electric, the Tesla/Elise roadster would be #1 on my list. They seem to retain their value relatively well and rarely come up for sale.

BTW, it is only me who thinks Tesla simply took the Eterne, put on a plexiglass "grill" and re-badged it as their Model S? The similarities are too coincidental.
Attached Images

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna's Dad View Post
If I ever go electric, the Tesla/Elise roadster would be #1 on my list. They seem to retain their value relatively well and rarely come up for sale.

BTW, it is only me who thinks Tesla simply took the Eterne, put on a plexiglass "grill" and re-badged it as their Model S? The similarities are too coincidental.
I spoke to a few Roadster owners - I'm a little surprised by the range loss (on the order of like 30%) some reported after like 36k miles (which is apparently a lot).

Drives a Prius.

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious
Leave Out The Unnecessary Stuff
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
I spoke to a few Roadster owners - I'm a little surprised by the range loss (on the order of like 30%) some reported after like 36k miles (which is apparently a lot).

Most of my miles have come from 500+ mile trips. Take those trips out and I'd also have a hard time hitting that mileage since my present commute is car free and my last one was just 5 miles. So I wouldn't expect the roadsters to accumulate a whole lot of miles, but a 30% loss seems crazy high. I wonder what the loss is with the Model S since the battery tech improved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 AM

I took a test drive last night on both the 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive variants of the Model S, because my 82 year old mother wants to buy one. I was very impressed by the build quality and handling the 2.5 ton car. The ride quality and engineering is superb. By the looks of the exposed chassis, I think Tesla simply grafter suspension parts from a S class to an all aluminum platform - reminds me of the custom built slot car chassis from the late 60s.
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I have not driven the roadster, but I have been on the Tesla Roadster owners site, these owners are - dare I say "religious" about their cars.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
Most of my miles have come from 500+ mile trips. Take those trips out and I'd also have a hard time hitting that mileage since my present commute is car free and my last one was just 5 miles. So I wouldn't expect the roadsters to accumulate a whole lot of miles, but a 30% loss seems crazy high. I wonder what the loss is with the Model S since the battery tech improved.
We've seen ~10% range reduction since new (2 years ago) on our Model S (~8700 miles on it). How much of it is due to battery degradation and how much due to changes in software (one of the software update release notes cited a change in the way they determine a full state on the battery) is unclear.

Quote:
I took a test drive last night on both the 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive variants of the Model S, because my 82 year old mother wants to buy one. I was very impressed by the build quality and handling the 2.5 ton car. The ride quality and engineering is superb. By the looks of the exposed chassis, I think Tesla simply grafter suspension parts from a S class to an all aluminum platform - reminds me of the custom built slot car chassis from the late 60s.
I was actually little surprised by the poor build quality of a loaner (with only 1200 miles on it) we had when our car was in for service.

For example, this was the driver's side door panel fitment (with the door fully shut!):

The brake pedal had like 1" of no-action travel before you felt the brakes engage. Steering wheel buttons didn't feel as "tight" as our 2-year old car (they had built 40,000 cars between the loaner and our own, you'd think they'd have improved since then). Needless to say, we were happy to get our car back.

Quote:
I have not driven the roadster, but I have been on the Tesla Roadster owners site, these owners are - dare I say "religious" about their cars.
The Tesla forum is one I stay far far clear of. They outrank the drift and stance forums as some of the most vicious communities I've ever seen. God help you if you don't "drink the kool-aid"

Drives a Prius.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 12:30 PM

gray:
Quote:
was actually little surprised by the poor build quality of a loaner (with only 1200 miles on it) we had when our car was in for service. For example, this was the driver's side door panel fitment (with the door fully shut!):
I should have been more specific about the build quality: I didn't pay much attention to the panel fit, the paint looked reasonably free of orange peel and the interior was nicely done. I only had a half hour allotted to test drive for each model. I was a little taken back by the sales Nazi who would not allow me to deviate from his "test drive circuit" and take it on the roads of my choice. If this car was for me - that would have been the end of the conversation; but since the car is for my mother, I grinned and drove the exact country club street circuit twice. The rear wheel drive felt better than the very heavy steering feel of the 4 wheel drive; the best part was the acceleration - it felt like my M5 E39, but without the noise.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
gray:

I should have been more specific about the build quality: I didn't pay much attention to the panel fit, the paint looked reasonably free of orange peel and the interior was nicely done. I only had a half hour allotted to test drive for each model. I was a little taken back by the sales Nazi who would not allow me to deviate from his "test drive circuit" and take it on the roads of my choice. If this car was for me - that would have been the end of the conversation; but since the car is for my mother, I grinned and drove the exact country club street circuit twice. The rear wheel drive felt better than the very heavy steering feel of the 4 wheel drive; the best part was the acceleration - it felt like my M5 E39, but without the noise.
The steering weight is selectable - perhaps the cars were setup differently.

Drives a Prius.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
But the guys at Tesla are nice enough to offer their customers an upgrade to a new battery pack at $29,000. This should be a lesson to all electric car owners that the TCO is very high when factoring in replacement batteries. The 10% range reduction mentioned for 8700 miles on the model S is not far off of the 30% reduction quoted on the roadster.

Tesla claims that the battery packs are 60% recyclable, similar to a standard car battery percentage. However, battery packs on the Tesla are "slightly" larger than a car battery. For the remaining 40% waste, well.....

If the Tesla "electric dream" comes true, USGS estimates of currently recoverable world reserves of lithium would last about 17 years. It is clear that the battery technology needs to improve beyond lithium if we are to shift the fleet to electric cars.

2010 Evora, Solar Yellow
2011 Elise R, Ardent Red
2012 Fiat 500 C, Bianco Perla, Bordeaux Top, 5 spd
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:56 AM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
That turns me off about Tesla. Same as the Apple phenomenon. Even if the product sucks we "believe" it is the best because it's Tesla, Apple, etc.

They have come up with some cool stuff, but the battery technology is still decades away from being viable for most of us non-urban lifestyle people. I think electric cars have a place in the car-scape but certainly it's not the end-all be-all solution that the electric car "religion" people tout it to be, and probably never will be.

Also Tesla's progress has been at great taxpayer expense and the company is still very financially unstable. I once read a great summary about Tesla - "Tesla is a car built by a billionaire, For millionaires, paid for by the middle class taxpayer who will never be able to afford one."

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:29 PM

Tesla owners seem to forget exactly where their electricity comes from. In my part of the country, Teslas are mostly coal burners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.