Lotus Develops Honda Civic Hybrid for Racing - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Lotus Develops Honda Civic Hybrid for Racing

Lotus Develops Honda Civic Hybrid for Racing

Yes I did a search and I usually hound the forums a lot, and haven't heard of this.

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:11 AM
def

Talking

Can I drive mine to a local dealer and have them convert mine into a race car?

V10 R8 Noble M400 GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

It's such an interesting concept because Civics are associated with small, economy cars and hybrids as well. You never expect the two to go racing

Be an alpha male. Drive a Lotus.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Abe

At the current moment, it sems that Lotus is on a mission to flex their consulting and engineering muscles and you're hearing all sorts of news from many manufacturers so this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Even before production has started on Evora, Lotus has already won the European Aluminium Award 2008.

Personally, it's exciting for me to finally see the Lotus name mentioned all over the automobile world which no doubt will help when finalizing the Esprit.

Taking care of the Lotus community one Lotus at a time...yes, We Are Lotus
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
At the current moment, it sems that Lotus is on a mission to flex their consulting and engineering muscles and you're hearing all sorts of news from many manufacturers so this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Even before production has started on Evora, Lotus has already won the European Aluminium Award 2008.

Personally, it's exciting for me to finally see the Lotus name mentioned all over the automobile world which no doubt will help when finalizing the Esprit.
+1

i read somewhere that their goal was to be the forefront auto company that heads the "green" movement!

interesting article BM, cant wait to see how the finish project would be...thanx for sharing!

-Coi- 2010 Evo X MR w/ some extra powahhh
currently having Lotus withdrawals
www.CTDesigns.us
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Hopefully this project spawns other interesting projects with Honda-sourced engines (IC, Electric and Hybrid).

I'm never a fan of Toyota (never bought any of their cars) as I find Honda more enthusiast-centric in their engineering endeavors. Sort of like the Japanese of Lotus[ok, a bit of exaggeration but you get my point]. Same goes for Mazda.

Maybe the next Elise/Exige get Honda's engines. That would be sweet!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:01 PM
def

There's been tons of debate and discussions about why the k20a wasn't in the elise. I'd bet we'd see an ecotec solution before a honda solution, which is fine by me

V10 R8 Noble M400 GG Elise (sold after 1192 days and 22961 miles)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:45 PM

blah...honda N/A motors are the best thing next to ferrari...hands down

-Coi- 2010 Evo X MR w/ some extra powahhh
currently having Lotus withdrawals
www.CTDesigns.us
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 02:53 PM

That is awesome...there were rumors of bad blood between Honda and Lotus, which might have led to them going with the Toyota engine in the elise/exige....the more they cooperate the better...and it will make it easier for me to convince my family to add a Lotus dealership to their Honda dealerships

2011 M3 convertible

Previous car #2 - 2008 Elise SC Ardent Red - Touring, Sport, Starshield (found a new home)

Previous car #1 - 2005 Elise Saffron Yellow (totaled in flood- the original underwater elise)
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:14 PM

haha -- our family car is a Civic Hybrid. It's now 6-years old with 100,000 miles on it. It's been a great car, averaging about 45 mpg over it's life.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 03:53 PM

Lotus of Japan = Mazda, not Honda (in my opinion).

That said, this can only lead to good things. Indeed there was some bad blood between Mr. Chapman and Mr. Honda (whoever that was at the time). Hopefully they have both moved on. I'd be perfectly happy with a Honda engine in my next Lotus.

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance."
-- Laurence J. Peter
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Inactive

Quote:
I'd be perfectly happy with a Honda engine in my next Lotus.
... or you could put one in your current Lotus.

2005 Elise with Honda engine
Please don't PM me - this forum is no longer usable and I do not monitor it.
It was fun while it lasted.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 09:51 PM

are those sport pack wheels?

wondering why they aren't looking towards their Formula1 team for help, they're all required to run regenerative braking next year..

Jay-05' ST, HT, Touring Red
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Lotus of Japan = Mazda, not Honda (in my opinion).

I disagree (although not enough to get in an argument about it), but I understand your point regarding Mazda is more about performance than Honda.

The reason I think Lotus and Honda are more alike is the creation of one car; the Insight. As an Insight and Exige owner, the engineers utilized the same school of thought to achieve their performan goals. Increase performance via weight reduction.

In the case of the two cars; performance is defined differently. But the objective and the approach is the same. I really love both of the cars (not equally) based on the engineering techniques used to build them.

While I love driving the Exige, when I drive the Insight it is like playing a video game where the objective is to increase MPG. The car is an automatic thus 60 is very good and I normally average right around that on a tank (58-61).

When my Insight nears the end of it's life I do want to turn it into a race car for the 24 hours of Lemons, and start a new Hybrid division.

2006 Exige StormTi, BWR S/C, Nitto NT-01's (love em)
2005 Stealth Focus Midget (3 of them); 2001 Ocke Mannerfelt B-24 "Batboat"
2007 Honda S2000 (wifes car), 2003 Insight (commuter), 2000 Ford Excursion
2004 Meridan 411 and 96 SeaDoo Speedster boats
2004 Newmar Kountry Star RV and various racing karts and snowmobiles
www.capitalcitymidgets.com
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 AM

Location: in Huachuca Mts, ~80 miles SE of Tucson, using wonderfully twisty SR83
Garage
good day, all,
I just posted my first thread in "hi i'm new here", and was looking for honda threads bec i am on the edge of getting my '07 elise/exige back after a year (more in the new here thread, if you're interested), back, having put a jdm k20a drivetrain in it; it now has better power, lsd, and much more. If you read my other thread, you will understand how i feel about honda--they're the best, i believe. I will post photos and more info very soon; i am still very slow at finding what i want. I'm looking for a thread i found elsewhere on-line, which proposed several interested k20a owners get together to buy a dry-sump conversion kit. I'm still looking for it, bec i saw it on an insecure computer and want to relay my interest. Anyway, 'just want to put my thumb up for honda. Peace, and happy lateral acceleration.

Wait. Having just read about "bad blood" between Honda/Lotus/Chapman, i'm confident they never met, but would have gotten along very well: "If you make a car more powerful, you make it faster in the straights. If you make it lighter, you make it faster everywhere." --Colin Chapman. "If you double your engine's rpm range, you double its displacement." -- Mr. Honda (don't remember his first name)
Also, the reason Lotus used Celica vtec engines was that Toyota owned lotus at the time. I'm completely confident that lotus engineers would have preferred a honda vtec (i've owned both, and there is no comparison), but you can't put a honda engine in anything unless you put "Powered by Honda" in large letters on whatever it is you put it in. That's why you see so many "powered by honda"s.

Last edited by dondemaret; 09-14-2016 at 08:52 AM. Reason: responding to threads i hadn't read
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dondemaret View Post
good day, all,
I just posted my first thread in "hi i'm new here", and was looking for honda threads bec i am on the edge of getting my '07 elise/exige back after a year (more in the new here thread, if you're interested), back, having put a jdm k20a drivetrain in it; it now has better power, lsd, and much more. If you read my other thread, you will understand how i feel about honda--they're the best, i believe. I will post photos and more info very soon; i am still very slow at finding what i want. I'm looking for a thread i found elsewhere on-line, which proposed several interested k20a owners get together to buy a dry-sump conversion kit. I'm still looking for it, bec i saw it on an insecure computer and want to relay my interest. Anyway, 'just want to put my thumb up for honda. Peace, and happy lateral acceleration.

Wait. Having just read about "bad blood" between Honda/Lotus/Chapman, i'm confident they never met, but would have gotten along very well: "If you make a car more powerful, you make it faster in the straights. If you make it lighter, you make it faster everywhere." --Colin Chapman. "If you double your engine's rpm range, you double its displacement." -- Mr. Honda (don't remember his first name)
Also, the reason Lotus used Celica vtec engines was that Toyota owned lotus at the time. I'm completely confident that lotus engineers would have preferred a honda vtec (i've owned both, and there is no comparison), but you can't put a honda engine in anything unless you put "Powered by Honda" in large letters on whatever it is you put it in. That's why you see so many "powered by honda"s.
Is this the dry-sump you are looking for?
New, beltless Honda K20/K24 dry sump system, group buy.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
Thunder Mountain

Location: a mile high in the Huachuca (Apache for "Thunder") mts, SE of Tucson AZ
Garage
I quite agree that honda makes the best drivetrains in the world, bar none. Also, i own an Elise/Exige with a jdm civic type r drivetrain, including torson lsd. You are absolutely correct--it is a sweet, sweet car. Because it has honda/hondata engine, it was also (relatively) easy to include cruise control, which really helps because it's so easy to go too fast. Peace.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Thunder Mountain

Location: a mile high in the Huachuca (Apache for "Thunder") mts, SE of Tucson AZ
Garage
I'm relatively sure lotus was owned by toyota when they used the lotus engine (modified by yamaha/lotus--prob means lotus did the engineering and yamaha the production). Also, i believe using the honda drivetrain would require [B]"Powered by Honda"[B], which is itself The Poison Pill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Lotus Inspired Cars or Cars with Lotus DNA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« One Off Car Build | - »