S111 BAC Mono Update Thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

S111 BAC Mono Update Thread

So we've decided to start an "official BAC Mono thread" so you guys and gals can follow along with our build progress with the first BAC Mono in the US.

Going back to July...

The BAC Mono has arrived, partially. We received a giant wooden box with the parts carefully packed inside; definitely not the way customers receive their Lamborghini Reventons! We get Monos in Semi Knockdown Kits (SKDs) which require assembly.

The Mono PDI(pre-delivery inspection) is also a bit different than a normal car. We have to assemble ours from scratch, and when say I scratch, I mean scratch. We have to assemble the assemblies that are bolted onto the vehicle.

We are starting the build of the Mono now and will slowly assemble the first vehicle to make sure everything is well documented and with the kind of attention to detail this car deserves.
We will post frequently, so check back often!

August

Now that most of the parts are out of the boxes and in order, we start to assemble. We are going to start with the gas tank cavity, and since the gas tank is right in front of the engine we need to put some sexy gold heat wrap around the bulkhead panel that the tank sits in.

Like everything with this car, it all has to be fitted and measured, it does not come prefitted and cut. So we have to cut it to size and make sure it's perfect.

After the panels are all dressed up, we can start to assemble the rest of the cavity using about 100 rivets and install the tank.

With the gas tank cavity assembled and awaiting the tanks arrival, we have focused on the fire and brake bias systems (both options, selected for chassis 0007) plus the front shear plate area of the chassis.
The optional fire system has six blue nozzles, two in the drivers compartment, 4 in the engine bay. The following picture shows the two drivers compartment nozzles, peeking out from behind the front roll hoop. The black boots on either side of the brake pedal cover the bias bar's clevises. When we have more of the interior installed, we will install the cable from the bias bar to the cockpit, allowing on-the-fly adjustment.

All of the fire system lines are hand formed, then test fit, then sheathed with a fire resistant material. The bottle is attached to the sub floor, with one line running fore (then immediately T'ing for the two drivers nozzles) and one line running aft. The blue masking tape on the right is to temporarily hold the aft line in place until we install the fuel cell.

Here you can see the back side of the gas tank cavity, and all four nozzles in the engine bay. It is best to order this option initially, as adding it later is a challenge, especially once the cabin is fully built and trimmed.

Here we are up close and personal with 0007ís front shear plate. This shows the careful attention to detail and integration that went into the design of the Mono, with almost every bracket having multiple functions (are those BAC guys channeling Chapman?). The billet front shear plate, for example, is a structural member of the chassis that also holds the steering rack, wishbone mounts, and the front storage box bracket. The storage box bracket, in turn, also holds the reservoirs for the clutch and brake systems. Clever and beautiful!

Continued...

Track Trilogy of Terror - Protect Your Car Balanced Approach - Tune your car safely
info@ Sector111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Today we received a couple of presents from Cosworth! Two engines came in today from Cosworth that are ready to be bolted together with the Hewland sequential and put to life. Some prep work needs to be done on the gearbox and bell housing before we will be able to squeeze the assembly in the chassis, but that's the fun part!

September

We received a large batch of parts from BAC and have taken inventory. We began assembling again after reviewing our build plan.

The new gas tank was fitted and cover was riveted in place. Routing the fire extinguisher lines was also done. This is an option that should be ordered by every track enthusiast. It is best to install during the initial build as it is much easier to route the lines. Installing it after the car is finished will not be quick nor easy!

We also bolted the hubs to the uprights. Note the trick green paint marker that confirms the bolt was torqued. All four of the uprights are the same and also use the same hubs. This is a welcome design for assembly and service feature. We need to press in one more bush (which is in the freezer shrinking) into a wishbone and we will be ready to install them.

October

The steering rack has been installed and tweaked to a new spec. The supplier is Titan, supplier for our titanQR and raceRACKs. They also supply the Ariel Atom racks so we've worked with them for years.

The front Bellcranks and sway bar pushrods have been installed. The Atom has a similar suspension system but lacks the swaybar. The carbon fiber front storage box was test fitted. This box is located at the front of the car and is accessed through the bonnet (front hood). It is a perfect storage area for your helmet.

The rear exhaust bracket and rear sway bar links were bolted to the Hewland trans. Wishbone brackets were also added.

Various issues have surfaced during assembly that we are recording on a 'punch-list' with BAC. This list is stored on a shared BAC Dropbox account. This eases communication for Corrective Actions. We also continue to refine the assembly manual and have worked closely with BAC to ensure we are building our Monos to the same standard.

We just got word from our shipping company that the body has arrived at Customs in LA. We should have it this week!

Continued...

Track Trilogy of Terror - Protect Your Car Balanced Approach - Tune your car safely
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

The big news this week is that the Body arrived. The Mono features full carbon fiber bodywork. The inner portion is painted black and the top section is typically another color. Ours has arrived in White Pearl and looks magnificent!

The Mono has real presence thanks to the size of the body. The body, in person, is larger than it seems from pictures but it still retains a lean athletic 'look'.

We are still working on the chassis assembly before we can move it onto the build fixture. This week Pat sorted a few items including:
-Steering column
-Wiring harness
-CF storage box install
-Radiator fan mounting

This is a hand built car that requires hand fitting is the classic British manner. TLC is what we like to call it.

The progress continues! With the major components assembled of the bell housing sub assembly complete, we were ready to not only attach the bellhousing to the engine, but install the engine in the chassis.

The Mono bellhousing is a large, bespoke aluminum casting which performs a variety of functions. While it's primary function is of course to mate the engine and gearbox, it also holds the front half of the rear wishbone mounts, rear damper mounts, body work brackets, and it contains the vent tank for the dry-sump oiling system.

Shown below is the AP Racing clutch slave cylinder / throwout bearing which resides in the bell housing.

Here we have the bellhousing and engine held on the engine hoist, ready for install.

While it's certainly tight quarters, the engine slotted in quite easily.

The right side of the engine looks relatively bare at this point, but this side of the chassis gets very busy once the headers are installed.

With the engine now in the chassis, we are currently bleeding / leak checking the hydraulics for the clutch system, and with that complete, we can install the gearbox. Exhaust and wiring details follow, and with the major structural components in place, the car will be ready to be mated with it's floor on the jig....

Continued...

Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

November

In preparing Chassis 0007 for placement on the jig, we have just finished installing the Shiftec Valve Body on the Bellhousing. The valve body controls the flow of air from the on-board compressor unit to the shift actuator, and also the throttle blipper.

The three ports which are directly facing the camera are, from left to right, Blip, Shift Up, Shift Down. Interestingly, with the Mono not being a "drive by wire" car, the blip function is performed by moving the outer housing of the throttle cable by a precscribed amount during down shifts.

With the majority of the components fixed to the center portion of the chassis, it became time to set 0007 on her floor!

The floor of the Mono is constructed of 3 separate pieces of 5mm thick "Jabroc". Jabroc is a high density wooden laminate. This gives the material excellent wear characteristics when used as a skid plate, and is used across all forms of motorsport, including F2, F3, LMS, ALMS, etc.

The three sections of floor are machined in order to overlap at the joints, and all fastener holes are countersunk to keep the bottom of the floor perfectly flat. Stainless hardware is used to secure the Jabroc to the captive fasteners attached to the aluminum sub-floor.

The joining of the chassis to the floor went very smoothly. Only a few fore/aft and lateral adjustments were required to get all the bolts in, and have the car centered on the jig. With this process complete, we can now turn to one of the more difficult aspects of the Mono, which is fitting the body work...

Continued...

Old 11-27-2012, 11:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

One interesting, and certainly "Tasty Bit" of the Mono lies in the Cosworth F1 style throttle body. Instead of normal throttle butterflies, the cast / CNC machined intake features a rotating internal cylinder. The cylinder has openings for all four intake ports, and the size of the aperture leading to each cylinder is dependent on the position of the barrel. At wide open throttle, there are no butterflies to restrict the intake flow.

Idle:

Half Throttle:

Wide Open - Note the tapering, nearly straight intake tract and hand finished porting in the cylinder head! All very nice features, and a true mark of Cosworth quality. 

Currently at Sector 111 we are fitting the first body panels on the Mono, which we call the "Core" body panels. As their name suggests, the core body panels provide the base for all of the other body work and fairings, essentially wrapping the center section of the chassis, and extending down over the top side of the Jabroc floor.

As with all the body panels on the Mono, the Core Body panels are made entirely from carbon fiber. The next picture shows the chassis on the jig, with the core body panels loosely in place.

In the picture below you can see mounts for the front suspension and steering protruding from the holes in the body work. All suspension and running gear must go on after these panels are installed.

There are several bespoke fastener solutions found on the body work for the Mono, such as the M5 Buttons which hold the Core Panels to the floor. These machined pieces are an excellent example of the attention to detail that go into the Mono: Not only do they provide increased contact surface area when compared to a traditional fastener, but when the other panels are installed you can hardly notice them, giving a seamless, integrated look the the body.

In preparing the Mono for it's first run test, we have been in the throws of taking care of the last bits of plumbing on the car. One interesting bit on the Mono is the engine oil tank is incorporated into the casting for the transmission, just behind the bellhousing interface.

In the same fashion, the catch tank for the car is cast into the bellhousing. The picture below shows the left side plumbing details.

As you can see in these pictures, this car is packaged pretty tightly, and we have to put a lot of care into making sure the routing of the lines and orientation of the fittings are correct. Next up are the radiators, and with a few wiring details sorted, we will be ready for our first run test.

That's where we're at now. We'll be sure to keep this thread updated as we make progress.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

i want one for sure.
any chance these will ever be street legal here in the states?
Formula313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula313 View Post
i want one for sure.
any chance these will ever be street legal here in the states?
Why on earth would you want to drive this car on the street? And I'm sure the answer is no.
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Why on earth would you want to drive this car on the street? And I'm sure the answer is no.
Why would you NOT want to drive this on the street...

I can't help but want to drive everything everywhere
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plackslayer View Post
Why would you NOT want to drive this on the street...

I can't help but want to drive everything everywhere
Well ok, I get wanting to drive it everywhere but this is clearly NOT a street car. It's one of the few cars I think would be significantly worse than the Elige on the street. I mean how fun would this car really be at legal speed limits??
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have spent quite a bit of time on their website drooling over this car. Its really cool to see you guys building one. I look forward to more updates!
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
I would absolutely want to drive it on the street!

It's road-legal in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
JonS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm for sure getting one, and I'm not sure if you've ever seen the movie driven with Stallone but there is a scene where one of the guys takes an F1 car and Stallone jumps in his and chases him thru the streets of a downtown city.
I've pretty much had that fantasy of putting on the headphones and jamming out thru the streets of Vegas and this car is for sure going to fulfill that fantasy

Road legal or not!
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

I remember that movie, wasn't he called Hummer or something like that? Remember that scene as well. I had always wanted the Superlite Nemesis so I could recreate that scene
Motorcitydak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

i just bought it today need to watch it again to figure out how this is going to go down lol
Old 12-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Was passing by sector 111 one Saturday (they were closed) and Shinoo was kind enough to give me a tour of this warehouse and shop. The BAC was

rsamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsamani View Post
Was passing by sector 111 one Saturday (they were closed) and Shinoo was kind enough to give me a tour of this warehouse and shop. The BAC was

Ops not quite done And accidentally hit post.
Anyway the BAC was in the build process at that time and it was really and impressive piece of machine. I worked on 25000 HP gas turbines in the navy for 23 years and seeing it up close during the build was a treat.

rsamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Mate, get back to the build, we need update!
lauzynas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Indeed. Why wouldn't you want to drive this EVERYWHERE? The things I wouldn't do to have one of these in the garage. Ugh. Someday, perhaps.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Update:

0007 now has the last of her cooling system in place, with both radiators being mounted. In keeping with the overall quality of hardware on the Mono, the radiators are lovely items. Tapered and fully TIG welded with bespoke light weight mounting brackets, it's a shame they are eventually covered with the side pods!

The right side radiator set up, lambda sensor control module is attached to the top of the radiator. Due to the close proximity of the exhaust on this side, there are special heat shields (not yet mounted) that attach to the welded bosses on the two 180 deg bends of the exhaust.

Left side, rear view.

Right side radiator in the back ground, initial layout of some of the suspension in the foreground.

Right side, front view.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

Continuing with the Mono build, we have completed the initial construction of the front suspension. These parts are a fairly easy assembly, with the main concern being to not scratch the core body panels! 

The Right Front Suspension: Fabricated aero tube upper and lower control arms, billet upright and rocker, track rod and anti roll bar link, Sachs Damper.

Left Front Suspension.

Low Angle of the Left Front Suspension: Visible in this shot is the ride height adjuster on the lower end of the push rod. This allows quick and easy ride height and corner balance adjustments with out having to loosen the lock nut on the top of the push rod, which is difficult to access with the main body present.

Low Angle of Right Front Suspension.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Sponsor Zone > Sector111