Anyone used Garage Car Lifts for parking 2 cars - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2006, 09:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm01
A great idea if you have the space. My ceiling is 10' so it works great. I'm in the city so switching cars is tricky as parking is a problem and you have to park 2 cars when switching. I usually only do this on Sundays when it's not so tricky. Watch your head! Lots of ducking! Also, I had to scrap my regular center mounted opener system and switch to one that mounts directly over the opening.
What kind of lift is this? I like the openness of it..
tvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusChris
Go to the backyardbuddy.com and watch the video on the features. I think this would be a good starting point from a safety standpoint.
I just watched the video. Makes sense, but it's hard to say if all of the other lifts are inferior. Something to research though. The engineering types on here would know which pieces of equipment are quality and which are crap.

I did like the photos on the site though. Check out this one:
https://www.backyardbuddy.com/album/...rs_edited.html

Looks like this guy has one of the garage door openers being discussed here. He also raised the tracks of his door.
'88 BMW M5 - BLACK [SOLD]
'02 Ducati 998S Bayliss - RED, WHITE & GREEN
'06 Lotus Exige - ARDENT RED [TRADED]
Exigent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:45 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent
I saw that set-up on HGTV's "What You Get For The Money". Nice.

(just seems a bit narrow -- how do you get around the car & into the house?)
Right you are, they did use a shot of it for the program and yes, it is tight. But we Elise drivers are masters at dealing with that obsticle...My garage is only about 4 feet wider than my lift, one side for storage and the other for walking. If you enter the garage from the house...clunk...right into the lift! Just got to duck. It's a lift from Autolifters which is no longer in business. Target lifts makes a very similar one. I know because my Elise was stuck at the top of the lift for 2 weeks and they got me the correct pressure release valve to replace the defective one!
What the heck do you do if you can't get the car down???
bfm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 03:48 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusChris
That single post lift looks great but why would they sell stabilizing jacks?
I suspect that the stabilizing jacks are more of a jackstand to hold the car up when working on it (lifting a wheel off the ramps to do brake work, etc. The single post lift would be similar to a two post lift, in that it would need to be bolted to the garage floor. This means that the garage floor would have to be reinforced - probably much more so than for a two post lift.

Two post lifts are good for lifting a car for doing suspension/brake work - but they are not good for storing a car (long term "drooped" suspension is bad for the longevity of the suspension bushings).

A four post "drive on" lift is good for storing a car (suspension remains loaded) and doing oil changes, etc. Lifting a wheel for brake or suspension work takes a bit more, but a sliding jack tray allows the car to be lifted from the lift.

The single post lift appears to be similar to a four post lift in that the car is supported on ramps (suspension remains loaded) for storage (and hopefully it's clear under neath for oil changes, etc.), but would require a reinforced garage floor.

One other advantages of the four post lift is that the lift is "free standing" - it does not need to be bolted to the floor and in fact, casters can be added to make the four post lift movable (I have heard of at least one person that uses this feature to move the lift outside to raise the car and wash underneath ).

If my garage was higher (I only have an 8 foot or so ceiling), I'd be getting a four post lift to work on cars and be able to store one.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #45 (permalink)

[QUOTE=TimMullen]

One other advantages of the four post lift is that the lift is "free standing" - it does not need to be bolted to the floor and in fact, casters can be added to make the four post lift movable (I have heard of at least one person that uses this feature to move the lift outside to raise the car and wash underneath ).

QUOTE]

Well, it'll either be the single post parking lift or a 4 post lift. No question I'd want the suspension loaded and no tires drooping. I like the lack of posts in my way that the single post lift provides, but the 4 post certainly would appear more stable. Also, it would be a plus if the 4 post does not have to be bolted into a concrete garage floor.

As for the casters -- how does that work exactly? Wouldn't the lift have a tendancy to move when you drive onto it?

I wish there was some residential garage lift store where we could go take a look at these things in real life.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent
As for the casters -- how does that work exactly? Wouldn't the lift have a tendency to move when you drive onto it?
I have a set of casters for my Backyard Buddy lift and I assume other brands are similar. The casters are only used when you plan to move the lift. They are constructed in such a way that they can lift the post feet off the floor only when the lift is fully lowered. They lift the feet an inch or so off the floor. When you don't need to use them, the casters detach and are stored elsewhere. You cannot (easily) drive on or off the lift when the casters are in place because the ramps are off the floor a bit.

I have to say, however, while the ability to move the lift is a good feature, it isn't a simple as it sounds. The lift weighs about 1800 lbs empty and while one person can roll it on the casters, it doesn't always go exactly where you want it to go. It can be done alone, but is easier with two people. As for rolling it outside to wash under the car, you'd need a pretty flat driveway. Trying to stop an 1800 lb runaway lift as it charges down your driveway could be a disaster. In theory, the lift can even be moved with a car on it. Of course, it now weighs close to 4000 lbs or more depending on the car, so having two people to maneuver it is a must.

Final thought - at least in my garage, I need to place the lift a couple of inches at each post. When raising the lift off the casters to lower the feet to the garage floor, the lift moves as it settles making accurate placing a challenge. I always end up putting a shoulder to each post and shoving the lift a bit to get it in position.
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 AM   #47 (permalink)

Here's a demo of how the casters work.................
Attached Images

foosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #48 (permalink)

I think I'll pass on the casters.

I don't see myself moving the lift around.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:20 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvacc
Hey...is that a parking solutions lift? I think it is...It looks like mine. I often wonder what happaned to them. I sometimes wonder if they went out of business because of something failing! I ordered mine in 1990 and it took them almost 9 months to get it to me. Parking Solutions made all sorts of lifts for quite a while. The made a cycle lift...a workshop lift (you put your workshop on it and up it went out of the way)....Does anybody know what happaned to them?
It could be -- I believe they did go out of business or were bought out. They don't make car stackers like this anymore -- it's built like a tank. The size of the parts are huge as compared to the current offerings -- the size of the legs, piston, chain drive, even the canister for the hydraulic fliud is made out of metal (instead of plastic).
Attached Images

Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:07 PM   #50 (permalink)

This is a great thread and I've just reviewed it all because I have finally moved into the new house (not the one we were building last fall). My wife and I have built 2 houses in the last 2 years. It's been insane. The first effort ended with a major war with the builder. The second effort resulted in a much better home in a much better location for the same money. I even had the 2nd house built with a designated 220v outlet on the garage wall.

Anyway, I am having the garage door company come and raise the tracks on one of my garage bays. They said it would cost less than $500 for everything that was involved.

Next step is getting a lift installed. I'm not really comfortable tackling this project myself, so if anyone knows of a company that will do it all for me, I'm very interested. I'm not renting a forklift or unloading a 1800 lb. piece of freight by myself. And I'm not going to risk my cars to the hope that I do the install properly. I don't want to be my own test monkey.

I can't wait for the day when all of the cars can be washed and polished and put away in the garage together. Bring on the snow when all the toys are warm and dry!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #51 (permalink)

Yup.
Attached Images

lotusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:21 AM   #52 (permalink)

I wish this was my garage - stole from garage thread here.
Attached Images

dasmoofler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigent View Post
Next step is getting a lift installed. I'm not really comfortable tackling this project myself, so if anyone knows of a company that will do it all for me, I'm very interested. I'm not renting a forklift or unloading a 1800 lb. piece of freight by myself. And I'm not going to risk my cars to the hope that I do the install properly. I don't want to be my own test monkey.
When I bought my lift from Backyard Buddy, they connected me with a local installer. The installer picked the lift up at the freight company, brought it to my house, even bought the hydraulic oil it needed, installed the lift and tested it. Two guys took about a half day and charged me something like $500. They obviously had done many before and knew what they were doing - worth every penny.
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #54 (permalink)

Our 1 ton lift with Emapeel on it
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #55 (permalink)

Here's my eagle lift and the gizmo i made so it won't drop it like someone we heard about....(qball)
the flags make it easy to aim so the car is straight, the little cables keep the legs from skidding when you back on. the flags are removed as soon as you're on.
the front of the car is lifted by the other legs using hockey pucks to cushion the frame.
the pins and clips keep the gizmo fixed on the lift.
great for oil change, etc.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emapeels older sis View Post
Our 1 ton lift with Emapeel on it
Am I seeing this right? The lift pulls the Elan into some kind of batcave storage area above the garage? Very cool!
Old 11-09-2007, 12:31 PM   #57 (permalink)

Here's what a Back Yard Buddy looks like when it's delivered. My son and I put it together in an afternoon. There is one very heavy piece that requires 4-6 people, other than that it's a 2 person job...

Also the assembled pic...

Good luck.
Roy
Attached Images

Tpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #58 (permalink)

Good thread. Has anyone used RHI Lifts before?

http://www.rhilifts.com/products/par...stallation.php

$2,500 installed.
Zinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #59 (permalink)
DPM

Just make sure you block the wheels and put a drip tray underneath the car. Go for the extra tall lift, it makes it a whole lot easier to work under the car.

I have an extra long and extra tall Eagle Lift at home and prefer it to the one pictured here at the track shop.

Also. make sure you have the lift resting on the safety cleats, otherwise the hydraulic piston is holding the car up and after an extended length of time the seals will start to leak from the extended constant pressure.
Attached Images

SOLD: 05 Elise, Benetec Carbon Fiber full body & rear wing, FF 275 turbo kit ,
1992 GMC Typhoon (Dark Green), 1977 Triumph Bonneville Silver Jubilee 25th Anniversary LE
DPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #60 (permalink)

If I was to do it again, I would get an Eagle. Nice products. They were not availalble when I bought mine. This is mine. It is an early parking solutions lift. I got it in about 91.
Attached Images

tvacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Garage Majal