Getting parents to let you get a Lotus? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Getting parents to let you get a Lotus?

Any ideas that would help persuade parents in to buying a Lotus for a teen?
What would be the cons of owning an Elise or something like that? (this would not be my daily car)

-Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Ihasnomoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihasnomoney View Post
What would be the cons of owning an Elise or something like that? (this would not be my daily car)

-Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Just tell them an M3 is more expensive! lol

Personally, my parents wouldn't buy me a car since..... I'm middle-aged and should be able to do that on my own! (not really, those who are married will know what I mean! lol)

But yeah, when I was your age, my dad basically said no to everything that I brought up even before I brought them up....
Lotustwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

Why the hell would your parents buy you a Lotus? I completely understand parents buying sensible cars to provide for a kid but a Lotus is a toy and as a parent I would never buy a kid such a silly car.

If I were you I would save up and get a job. If your parents do buy you a two seat sports car be very thankful you have such great/nice parents and make sure you treat them well and with respect.

Good luck.
2014 Ram 1500 Limited - Tow Vehicle
Korntera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

There isn't any good reason for your parents to buy you a lotus... and this is coming from a 23 year old haha

You'd be better off convincing your dad how awesome they are and reasons why he should have one. Then at least you may get some time behind the wheel =)
Nydus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

LOL Dude do you know how much people are gonna laugh at you? Being a teenager driving a lotus, EVERYONE will know that your parents bought you that lotus and they will laugh you out of existence. Not to mention MANY people will hate you out of jealousy. I mean, honestly dude you should get something like a 370z. Even if you could convince your parents, don't you think you would get tired of people looking at you strangely for about 3 seconds, then realizing, "Oh, He's WAY too young to afford that, it's his parents car!" then seeing them laugh while pointing at you? Dude if that was me that would get old really fast. Plus the other kids who have to drive **** boxes would just end up keying your car in the school parking lot. Other kids would do research and find out your lotus elise only has 190 horsepower, then all the guys would laugh at and probably call you all sorts of names like daddy's boy, gay, and so on. Teenagers are cruel, I can guarantee things would not go super awesome like you think they would in your head.. trust me bro.
Retsillacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Another way would be to convince your dad that HE needs one! Then you can drive his car too!
Lotustwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
Bummed

SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

I don't think it's such a big deal. Life is short and our time on this earth may be limited - we could die at 20 or 40 for all we know. IF someone is offering you a Lotus, and you're only a teen, you would say no?! LOL!!!

Make sure your parents are willing to pay everything though - the maintenance will be much more than a typical economy car.
MTLDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Less is Better

You'll shoot you eye out, kid.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Being a teenager, I would suggest you check out insurance rates before buying one. The cost may be prohibitive; even worse you may not get any insurance company to offer you coverage depending on your driving record.

2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Daily Driver)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
LotusGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
LMFAO. EXACTLY!!!!!
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotustwn View Post
Another way would be to convince your dad that HE needs one! Then you can drive his car too!
Best advise! Hehe..

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Saketome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
I wanted an Europa or a 914 so badly at that age. When I drive ours now on twisty mountain roads I always think of how I had no business in such a dangerous machine at that age. Or even now really but especially when my respect for danger was so much less.

And there is a lot to be said for not having a showy ride when so young. Would be easy to depend on it to impress people rather than developing yourself.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (home again!)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders) 2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP)
1980 Rover SD1 (new home)
XHILR8N! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:37 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLDean View Post
I don't think it's such a big deal. Life is short and our time on this earth may be limited - we could die at 20 or 40 for all we know. IF someone is offering you a Lotus, and you're only a teen, you would say no?! LOL!!!

Make sure your parents are willing to pay everything though - the maintenance will be much more than a typical economy car.

Oh pulleeeeez. The kid wants to know how to convince his parents to buy him a Lotus. His parents aren't offering to buy him one. If this is the line of thinking then why not just let him snort some coke while he's at it. After all, we might die at 20 or 40 and you only live once.

A high performance sports car (with not much cushioning in the event of a crash) in the hands of an inexperienced teenager is not exactly the best recipe. Are you not remembering how we acted and thought back in our teens?

To the OP, have your parents buy you a WRX. Fun, afforable, good crash structure, cheap to fix, AWD, and plenty of room in the back to make out with your girlfriends.
GuppyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
anglophile in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihasnomoney View Post

-Mitch
I can only think of one selling point from a parents point of view... only two seats. You won't be taking a load of passengers who could potentially urge you to do something regrettable...

That said unless you have had some driving experience and advanced driver training I don't think a Lotus is a good idea.

Let us know how you get on
Aedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Making a 4.0, getting accepted to a good college and having no accidents would convince me.
texige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:19 AM   #17 (permalink)

Mitch good luck, if you get a Lotus I hope you enjoy it but also are responsible with it. I don't want have to see a lotus crash on some youtube failblog. That being said, there were some really great points made here. Insurance IS going to kill you, people will talk behind your back and probably in front of you about how daddy buys you stuff. Also, why buy such a sensitive car while you're young? This car is going to rob you of your youth. get a car you don't really care about with four doors and a few dings and won't leave you on the side of the road. Guys having the most fun in my high school weren't the ones with corvettes and new BMWs, it was the guy with his moms van or old beater four door going camping, movies, mall, etc... with friends. Instead you'll be worrying about where you car will be safe to park, small scratches, keying, pranks on your car (this happened alot in my school)
Old 12-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
To the OP, have your parents buy you a WRX. Fun, afforable, good crash structure, cheap to fix, AWD, and plenty of room in the back to make out with your girlfriends.
x2 !!!
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 AM   #19 (permalink)

Impress them with your impeccable grammar.
2012 Radical SR3RS
apk919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsillacm View Post
LOL Dude do you know how much people are gonna laugh at you? Being a teenager driving a lotus, EVERYONE will know that your parents bought you that lotus and they will laugh you out of existence. Not to mention MANY people will hate you out of jealousy. I mean, honestly dude you should get something like a 370z. Even if you could convince your parents, don't you think you would get tired of people looking at you strangely for about 3 seconds, then realizing, "Oh, He's WAY too young to afford that, it's his parents car!" then seeing them laugh while pointing at you? Dude if that was me that would get old really fast. Plus the other kids who have to drive **** boxes would just end up keying your car in the school parking lot. Other kids would do research and find out your lotus elise only has 190 horsepower, then all the guys would laugh at and probably call you all sorts of names like daddy's boy, gay, and so on. Teenagers are cruel, I can guarantee things would not go super awesome like you think they would in your head.. trust me bro.
Sounds like someone didn't like high school .

If you can convince your parents to buy you one, go for it. It might even give you reason to learn more about cars. Remember 5 things:
1. Its not very comfortable, and while nice to look at, you will not be taking your friends anywhere. Heck, even driving with a passenger poses a few problems.
2. Girls LOVE the look, but strongly dislike driving in it.
3. Never have peace of mind parking in high school. Heck even at work, I still get jokes (even from my manager) about carrying it to a different parking spot. In highschool, it probably won't be only talk
4. Everyone will know where you are, and how you drive
5. Get ready for lots of questions, pictures and comments

oh, and a few pics for you to think about once you get a car, ANY CAR it may be:

2008 Buell XB9SX (leaving soon)
2005 Honda Accord - King of the road
ee.engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here