Getting parents to let you get a Lotus? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Orange

These threads pop up every 6 months. Notice, we NEVER see a parent saying 'hey, I wanna buy my kid a Lotus - tell me why that's a great idea'.

It's always a kid with a pipe dream. I'd bet 100% of them NEVER get that Lotus.

And the 'go for it' responses usually come from people without kids.

As a parent of three little ones, I would NEVER - I repeat NEVER - give this car to my kids, regardless of how good of a driver they are. Teens are dumb. Teens do dumb sh*t. A car like this in the hands of a teenager is a weapon. For all of the 'but Dad, I will pick up the dog's sh*t, if you buy me a puppy' logic, they won't. They will take dumb chances. I know I would. It's simply not worth it for an inexperienced driver.

And then we add in peer pressure, cost of repairs (fender benders), lack of ability to drive in snow and rain, negative attention from other teens and insurance costs.

If a two seater is the way to go, something sensible like a Honda CRZ is a good call. I had a CRX Si in college - great car, and I was always able to say 'dude - I can't be designated driver - 2 seater'

-'08 Elise SC (Chrome Orange) - was stock for about an hour. Rota Torques, Difflow 3 element, Micro Mirror, Lidbone, upgraded speakers/headunit/amp, BMW M3 wheel studs, RLS nav mount, garage door remote mod, MrC radar bracket, hardwired GPS/radar, Larini SC, LotusShii glove box, Lowtush splitter, OnRailsEngineering double cup holder, carpeted interior. Ghost B.C. blasting from the stereo. 100% awesome.
-'14 Audi S4 Quattro (Daily Driver)
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #22 (permalink)

You are out of luck. At 17 I bought a restored Triumph TR4, but I saved and bought it with my own money. I suggest you do the same.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #23 (permalink)

Save up and buy it on your own. Took me 6 years (not of saving but dreaming) from when I decided I wanted one to actually buying one. Much more satisfying that way.
pray4mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
These threads pop up every 6 months. Notice, we NEVER see a parent saying 'hey, I wanna buy my kid a Lotus - tell me why that's a great idea'.

It's always a kid with a pipe dream. I'd bet 100% of them NEVER get that Lotus.

And the 'go for it' responses usually come from people without kids.

As a parent of three little ones, I would NEVER - I repeat NEVER - give this car to my kids, regardless of how good of a driver they are. Teens are dumb. Teens do dumb sh*t. A car like this in the hands of a teenager is a weapon. For all of the 'but Dad, I will pick up the dog's sh*t, if you buy me a puppy' logic, they won't. They will take dumb chances. I know I would. It's simply not worth it for an inexperienced driver.

And then we add in peer pressure, cost of repairs (fender benders), lack of ability to drive in snow and rain, negative attention from other teens and insurance costs.

If a two seater is the way to go, something sensible like a Honda CRZ is a good call. I had a CRX Si in college - great car, and I was always able to say 'dude - I can't be designated driver - 2 seater'

+1
Old 12-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihasnomoney View Post
Any ideas that would help persuade parents in to buying a Lotus for a teen?

-Mitch

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
Mitch , has your old man ever seen a movie called "Ferris Beullers Day Off?"

If not, get him a copy and sit and watch it together, then ask him for the car.
WayneB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

I'll agree with several of the other comments here: a high-performance, mid-engined car made of plastic and aluminium and an inexperienced teenage driver is a scary combination.

That said...here's the approach I'd take. Present it as a character-building lesson on adulthood:

1. Determine the total amount that your parents are willing to spend, per month, for your car. This gives you a budget.

2. Do some research on the Lotus and two other alternative choices - like safety schools when applying for college. Figure out the cost of owning each car. Include car payment, insurance, gas, maintenance, reserve fund for unanticipated repairs. (Even if your parents are paying cash, figure out what the loan payments would be if the car were financed. There are lots of loan calculators on the web.) You may find out pretty quickly that the Lotus is out of range, especially when you include insurance and a few oil changes at the dealer.

Also include the cost of at least two days of real driver training. This is a prerequisite to getting the keys to the Lotus.

3. If the Lotus hasn't been ruled out, present your case to the parents with the research that you've done. Agree that any expenses beyond your monthly budget will come out of your pocket. Directly. Not your college savings, etc. Your own earned money. If you can't pay, your parents get the car. Call it a repossession. First ticket for speeding, reckless driving, running a red light, acting stupid, same thing. Your parents get the car.

My guess is you'll figure out pretty quickly that the Lotus isn't a good choice.

This may be a good deal for Dad, though. He buys the car for you and gets to be the cool dad who is so generous with his son...and he probably gets to keep the car for himself after a few months without having to justify the purchase of another toy to Mom.
PJH33460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #27 (permalink)

There has been some very good advice offered on this query...

Mine would be: Hire a PI. Get some dirt on your folks; both of them, heck, this might help you well into the future. Use said "dirt" as leverage in your quest. That will make you, statistically speaking, about 1,000% more likely to get your wish. Your folks might even begin to think a Lotus is a good idea for you and even throw in a super charger to help you improve those 0 - 60 times.
'06 Lotus Elise Ardent Red, Touring, Sport, Driving Lights, Stage II Exhaust, Risen Engine Covers, Star Shield, SirLotus' Front Under Clam Protectors in anti-matter-black, Yoko's, Sector111 FFI Cover; DS Brace Toe-link upgrade and cool Carpet Buttons, Long Blond Hairs in Pax Seat ... I think the most important thing is that in the last seven days we've just had the greatest adventure of our lifetimes. (Richard Branson)
High_Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #28 (permalink)

Just get a Delorean. Lotus helped build that sucker, so there you go... Just don't let that baby hit 88 mph or you're gonna see some serious ****!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #29 (permalink)

I would start here and work your way up....

That is a safer option as well.....
Attached Images

mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

I say go for it!

This way when you total your car, my car's value will increase a little more!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihasnomoney View Post
Any ideas that would help persuade parents in to buying a Lotus for a teen?
What would be the cons of owning an Elise or something like that? (this would not be my daily car)

-Mitch

Mitch, take a look at Chris' thread here...

16 years old = Europa

Chris and his dad are going to end up with a terrific car and a great experience together. I haven't looked through the whole thread yet as I just came across it today. Might be an option?

HTH
'00 Esprit V8
'87 BMW M6 & '84 BMW R100RT
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Most* of this is useful information, seems like I found the right place for lotus knowledge.

Last edited by Ihasnomoney; 12-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Ihasnomoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
You'll shoot you eye out, kid.
hehe

2005 (Build date: Sept. 04 #484) SY Lotus Elise- Sports Pack, Touring Pack, Black pack

www.Youtube.com/keleentproductions
Klint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
tmr

If you aren't putting us on, please do yourself a favor and get some driver training so that you can learn your limitations in a controlled environment. Losing a child is one of the worst things that can happen to a parent.
'13 Audi A3 TDI (Ibis White) Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth - Wife's car - Delivery 9/12
tmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #35 (permalink)

How old are you Mitch?

Adobe Photoshop CS6 and Autodesk Maya 2014 Certified Instructor
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #36 (permalink)

Super easy to get your parents on board. Tell them your going to get a job, and earn 50 grand.
Hello Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
How old are you Mitch?

It may sound young but I'm 15 and 2/3. The car won't be mine for quite some time. It may have sounded like I would get the car when purchased but I need at few years of driving before the car would be mine legally.

P.S Airplane was one the funniest movies of all time. Pray to J I did the same ol' same ol'! - Airplane

Ihasnomoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugilmour View Post

16 years old = Europa

Chris and his dad are going to end up with a terrific car and a great experience together. I haven't looked through the whole thread yet as I just came across it today. Might be an option?

HTH
+1

This might not be a bad idea to own a Lotus at your age...
LotuShii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugilmour View Post

16 years old = Europa

HTH
Thanks for the kind words. The Europa will be finished by February I hope! We have come along way, can' t wait to drive it!

Mitch- I have a lot to say, so hope you are ready...
When I was in 4th grade going into 5th, my dad got a Lotus Elise. I loved it, and fell in love with LOTUS, and told him that I'm going to get a Lotus when I get the money, he said Alright! He thought I was kidding, but from 4th grade to Sophomore Year, I saved my own money and bought my 1974 Lotus Europa TCS #3675R.

When I first told my parents I wanted a Europa, they said no, especially my mom! My dad had one back in the 70's and loved it and when he showed me a picture of it for the first time, I thought it was really weird looking, until I read about them and people have said it handles better than the Elise in some ways. The fact that I kept looking at them and adored them, I actually fell in love with the design, because it was just so different, which all Loti are. I have read a lot about the Europa, have done many searches... You could say I was an expert on them before I even got one! I saved my money up for about 6 years, and once it came time to buy a car I told them I'm getting a Lotus, and it was final.

I was driving my moms 03 Mustang GT (Which we shared, and it wasn't really mine) when I was 15-16. Drove it for a little to get some driving under my belt. I was also driving the Elise! Two different cars, I always hated the mustang... Heavy, big, doesn't handle on rails. haha However I stuck with it until I said I'm done, have to get a Lotus. So looked around for one that needed some work so I could fix up with my dad. He said a Lotus is a good secondary car, not a daily driver, especially the Europa because it is very small and has no A/C for the summer.

Finally found one that was cheap and had the engine rebuilt, chassis finished and well, that was about it... I was missing doors, hoods, almost everything, but I found every part for my car, even parts that you can't even buy on the shelf nor find on ebay, parts that are just so rare you wouldn't even imagine. Of course, we stilled had to talk to the mom... My mom is afraid every time I take the Elise out, so getting a Europa for my first official car was hard for her, but my dad and I told her I won't be driving it until I'm 18, that way I would have a Lotus, while having driving experience.

My dad and I have split the cost, he told me when it comes down to buy a car he would pay half of it, that was back in 5th grade and he kept his word. He never thought he would do this, damn I didn't think we would do it, my mom definitely didn't know! haha But we did it and we are so close to finishing the car! It is going to be worth a lot of money once finished, I will never sell the car though, and I will always remember that my dad and I built this car with our own hands, in our 2 car garage at our house without a lift and I will always remember my dad by just looking and driving my Europa!

Alright a couple more things... After I bought the Europa, I still had a slight problem, still driving that mustang, which was my moms. However my mom bought a MINI Cooper S the week after we bought the Europa, so the Mustang was kinda mine... After driving it all through my junior year, it was time to well get another car... Did I want a Lotus, of course! So What did I do, I talked to my parents again. My mom said no once again even my dad said no...

My list of cars I was looking at: S2000, MR2 Spyder (2zz Swap), Miata, M3 E46 and some others. MY dad wanted to get me a M3 E46, yes great cars and a great Daily driver, almost bought one but I couldn't do it. Told my self its not a Lotus, nor is a S2000. MR2 Spyder and miata close to it but nope. So What did I do, told them it has to be a Lotus. This time my dad said he would buy the car, my budget was under 20K. So I said Lotus Esprit (4cyl), Lotus Elise (High mileage). Insurance killed me on both of them, so my dad said get the M3. I said alright... after a week I thought to myself, its not a Lotus... Than I thought of the 1990's... The Lotus M100 of course! Found one on ebay, I loved it, my dad and my mom liked it, and it was only $8,500, so sold my mustang and bought it! Saved my parents some cash, and that cash might go to another Lotus project in the future, thinking about restoring a 67 Lotus Elan S3 next with my dad, but that is a ways away...

So I have a 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special and a 1991 Lotus Elan M100 of the age 18, did I work my a$$ to get them, you bet I did! I'm still working on the Europa, and I'm working on the M100 a little too, it needs a lot of TLC, but once both of them are in top notch condition, the value of the cars will never go down which is very good!

Convincing your parents will be hard, it took me all of freshmen year haha but if you have money to put in with the car, that is a huge deal, so definitely do that!!! Also get a Lotus that has A/C for the summer. Daily Drive Lotus can be possible, you just have to find the right one! Esprits have many maintenance issues so having one of those for a daily driver is not the best, but could work. Plus if you don't know how to work on them nor have a dealer near you, it could be bad. If you have any questions you may ask, I think I have said enough and I have said it the best way I could. You can go see my build on the Europa on the site given above, if you haven't already
Here are some pics of the M100, me, and the Elise... Enjoy!
Attached Images

Last edited by TheKid#9; 12-26-2012 at 10:30 PM.
TheKid#9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:06 AM   #40 (permalink)

When I was 19 I built and drove a chaterham super seven. I think I all depends on the person.do you work on cars ? Is this your first car? If this is your first car I would say do not get one
lotus90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here