Hi all, proud new owner of a 2005 AR Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Talking Hi all, proud new owner of a 2005 AR Elise

Hi All,

As the title says, I am the new owner of an AR Elise. After scouring this board and the internet for hours a day I finally found what I would call the unicorn of deals. I found a 2005 AR Elise with 14184 miles and purchased it for 27,000. The car has a clean title with the only mark on the report being a disgruntled ex keying the driver side door (since repaired with no perceptible marks even upon up close inspection.)

Things it came with:
  • Touring pack
  • Sport Pack (I think, Front tires 195 - Rear 225 on the door jamb, but no yellow calipers)
  • Black pack
  • LSS Wheels
  • Upgraded pop-up head unit
  • Sub installed behind seats
  • Hard top
  • Soft top
  • Car cover
  • Battery Tender
  • New tires
  • Biscuit Seats (or just light tan?)
  • Starshield on all panels including rear and door sills

Planned Changes
  • Upgrade headunit to be compatible with Android Auto for NAV
  • Maybe new shift knob

I'm lucky in that there is a Lotus dealer near work so I plan on taking it there in the coming days. Anything I should look out for or specifically have them check would be great. I do not know the status of the recalls which I want to have them check and also when its on the lift I'll have them check the toe links. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Last edited by Wlevine09; 05-17-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:13 PM

Welcome! That sounds like a deal dream come true! Question.. what do you mean about it being an AR Elise? I've never heard that term before.

check out my Youtube channel for some DIY on servicing and upgrading your lotus If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

If you have instagram You can follow me on IG : @keleent

www.instagram.com/Keleent

https://www.youtube.com/user/KeleentProductions

Check out the Uber post for more info on your car here:

**Elise/Exige Uberpost READ THIS. Everything you need to know is in here**

Enjoy your Lotus ownership!

2005 SY Lotus Elise Supercharged
(Build date: Sept. 13, 2004 #484)
16th of 115 US 05 same color\trim\options.
Signed by Elisa Artioli
Handmade in England- Perfected by me.
Sponsored by: Difflow Diffusers- GRP (Mention "Keleent" for a discount at checkout )
Follow me on IG:
www.instagram.com/keleent
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

I believe the color is ardent red, so AR. Thanks for the links as well, looks like i have some reading and watching to do

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klint View Post
Welcome! That sounds like a deal dream come true! Question.. what do you mean about it being an AR Elise? I've never heard that term before.

check out my Youtube channel for some DIY on servicing and upgrading your lotus If you have any questions feel free to ask me!

If you have instagram You can follow me on IG : @keleent

www.instagram.com/Keleent

https://www.youtube.com/user/KeleentProductions

Check out the Uber post for more info on your car here:

Enjoy your Lotus ownership!
So I started watching your videos on youtube, specifically the one regarding the halo lights. I understand you fit the upper halo through the larger bottom spot, but how were you about to get the larger halo into the housing without removing the lens?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 05:53 PM
craigyirush

Congrats; nice car.

Afaik, the sport pack/LSS cars did not have yellow calipers. Indeed they had the same calipers and rotors as the base suspension cars. The front 195s on the sticker is one of the ways to identify an LSS car (as are the LSS wheels). If you really want to be sure, you can get a Certificate of Provenance from Lotus which will give you lots of info on the car - original spec, numbers built in that spec, selling dealer, etc.

As for recalls, the big one is the oil lines. Dealer should be able to tell you whether it's been done.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); 86 911 Targa (sold); 68 MGB (future vintage racer)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Ahh good to know. Thanks for the input. I plan on taking it in on Sat so that should tell me more.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlevine09 View Post
So I started watching your videos on youtube, specifically the one regarding the halo lights. I understand you fit the upper halo through the larger bottom spot, but how were you about to get the larger halo into the housing without removing the lens?
Yep of course! it just squeezes through.

oh and yeah i totally forgot he was referring to the color of the car AR (ardent red) DUH lol.

2005 SY Lotus Elise Supercharged
(Build date: Sept. 13, 2004 #484)
16th of 115 US 05 same color\trim\options.
Signed by Elisa Artioli
Handmade in England- Perfected by me.
Sponsored by: Difflow Diffusers- GRP (Mention "Keleent" for a discount at checkout )
Follow me on IG:
www.instagram.com/keleent
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM
glb

Great deal. These cars are brilliant!

And, now this:

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-...y=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
Cooling Ticking Timebomb, how is your Cooling U-tube?

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Visit the Uber Thread

10. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. are wildly expense when purchased thru Lotus.

Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

-----

Plus:

How to Bleed Brakes

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Welcome.

2006 Exige
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

One question that might seem silly, how does one "engage cam switch over" I understand that the car has 2 cams, but I am not sure what people mean by this. I always let the car warm up to temp. before even going above ~3500 rpm, but I am not sure what engaging cam switch over is.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 AM

Garage
The engine automatically switches over to the 2nd cam at ~6,000 RPM. From 6K up to the redline, you're on the second cam.

Also, most people on here agree that you should wait at least 20 minutes or so AFTER the car has reached temp, before engaging the second cam.

Also to note, before the car is warmed up (temp showing on the dash), it won't let you go into the second cam...it'll redline at 6K, and not switch over.

2011 Lotus Elise REV300 - Starlight Black Metallic
2011 Tesla Roadster 2.5 - Midnight Blue
2004 Chevy SSR Convertible Pickup - Ultra Violet

My CarPC YouTube Video - - - - - - - - - - - - - NY Times Article
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:50 AM

Cam switch happens at 6200 RPM and is automatic. You'll know when you hit it, you can definitely hear the change in the exhaust note and feel the little kick when it engages.

2005 Elise- Katana II S/C with other fun bits
2011 Evora NA - Daily Driver
2014 Acura MDX aka The Family Wagon
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habious View Post
The engine automatically switches over to the 2nd cam at ~6,000 RPM. From 6K up to the redline, you're on the second cam.

Also, most people on here agree that you should wait at least 20 minutes or so AFTER the car has reached temp, before engaging the second cam.

Also to note, before the car is warmed up (temp showing on the dash), it won't let you go into the second cam...it'll redline at 6K, and not switch over.
I see. Thanks for the information. I am glad you mentioned the 20 mins AFTER temp part as I wouldn't have thought that. Fortunately for me I have yet to engage the 2nd cam. I've been driving so cautious in the new baby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.