Lotus Elise as Daily Driver? - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #41 (permalink)

I agree, a 3 mile commute probably isn't the best for the engine. It doesn't cost $150-300 to change the oil, maybe if you go to the dealer. You can buy the special diesel Shell oil at Wal-Mart. Looking to buy a car this week, so it'll be unlikely that I'll find an Elise as it takes a few months to find the right one. Plus, it's probably a waste to get the same car as my boyfriend, it's better to diversify.
katch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsxmatt View Post
Just because a Lotus has an engine does not mean it's a Lotus engine.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:38 PM   #43 (permalink)

good information

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post
The official, ONE AND ONLY, Can This Lotus Be Used As A Daily Driver thread

I just searched using Daily Driver as the search term with both searches (forum and google), and the above thread didn't come back on the first page with either search, had to go to the second page.
orugacoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #44 (permalink)

I decided to settle on an elise to replace my Mini Cooper S as a daily driver. Almost closed a deal on a Z4M roadster, but eventually decided to hunt down an Elise instead, bimmers are terrible at holding their values.

So this is what I found, going from the mini to this elise

Mini is for sale if anyone is interested, $8k 109miles. Flawless
MeBoosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #45 (permalink)
Such moderate

Nice switch.

The mini only has 109 miles?!? Did you ever drive it?
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330ciandr6 View Post
Nice switch.

The mini only has 109 miles?!? Did you ever drive it?
Still am, I bought it exactly a year ago with 93k miles on. Won't be getting the lotus on the road until after the holidays
MeBoosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #47 (permalink)
Such moderate

Oh. 109K miles, not 109.
doge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #48 (permalink)
Scott Graham

I love mine as a daily driver. I only work 10 miles from the office though, and I also have access to another car if need be. I dont recommend the car in snow if you dont have the LSD fitted, as you just peg leg in the same place for hours on end. Other than that the car is great. If you dont mind lack of comfort and always hearing loud noises like bumps and the engine, then you'll love it. You really need to love cars though. DDing a lotus is closer to daily driving a motorcycle every day. If you can live with that, then you can live with a lotus.

one thing you will notice is you will find yourself not wanting to get out of the car. for instance some mornings I would stop at the local 7-11 for a coffee and breakfast, but now I find myself avoiding it just because it involves getting in and out two extra times for something that I can probably do without.

other things is the fact it attracts so much attention. I sometimes get snagged at gas stations anywhere from 15 minutes to half an hour if there's a group of people who want to talk about the car. I always get 50 questions about it everywhere I go. It depends if you look like an approachable person though. I'm typically in a suit and tie with a smile / good mood most of the time because driving the car always makes me happy.

When all is said and done, I would make the same decision again. I love driving my lotus all the time. I just hate how the miles rack up a lot faster now though. =/ it does eat away at you when you know you're devaluing it at a faster rate than most.

EDIT: I should state that I'm 6'4" with a semi-athletic build. If you're a smaller person, getting in and out might not be a big deal. I just hate scuffing my sills with my dress shoes...

Tons of Sector111 and RLS goodies.
Scottycali4nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycali4nia View Post
one thing you will notice is you will find yourself not wanting to get out of the car. for instance some mornings I would stop at the local 7-11 for a coffee and breakfast, but now I find myself avoiding it just because it involves getting in and out two extra times for something that I can probably do without.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottycali4nia View Post
EDIT: I should state that I'm 6'4" with a semi-athletic build. If you're a smaller person, getting in and out might not be a big deal. I just hate scuffing my sills with my dress shoes...
You can drive with dress shoes on? (i.e., they don't (1) touch both the brake and gas pedal at the same time, and (2) get stuck above the pedals?)
TroyNVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #50 (permalink)
Scott Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyNVie View Post
You can drive with dress shoes on? (i.e., they don't (1) touch both the brake and gas pedal at the same time, and (2) get stuck above the pedals?)
I have a slip on style dress shoe. (size 13) much like this one

I can drive fine with these on (heel toe also) but the only thing I can't do is use the dead pedal. I need to angle my foot to get it past the clutch and onto the dead pedal. My car is a 2008, so there's more room between pedals than the 2005's I believe. It does bother me a little bit though. If I had to drive more than 10 miles, I would wear another pair of shoes. I've been searching for a shoe that is closer to a driving shoe that I can wear at the office.

Tons of Sector111 and RLS goodies.
Scottycali4nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 PM   #51 (permalink)

Gezzz you guys are soft!! Try driving with steel cap work boots, they are worse!!

What I like the most is people don't want to get in your car! could be to fat or just hate the way there is no braking for corners heehee/

West oz loti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here