New Elise owner here - Seattle, WA - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

New Elise owner here - Seattle, WA

Hi everyone. Just purchased an 05 Saffron Yellow Elise out of northern California. She has 40k on the odometer and appears to be in excellent shape. Has the Touring and Sport packs and is unmolested and original. One owner and no accidents. Body is free of chips and nicks and the mechanicals appear to be in very good shape. Purchased it from the estate of a Lotus collector in NorCal. The only flaw is a worn bolster on the drivers seat so I have to decide whether to repair or replace the seat. I'd ideally like to find a more comfortable seat setup. Any ideas?

Price was 24k which I think is fair given the relatively high mileage. I think the color suits the Elise very well and I couldn't be happier.

I've learned so much by reading this forum over the past few months and I hope to give back over the coming years. Thanks to all who contribute.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 PM

Garage
Yes, congrats! The black wheels are a nice compliment to the yellow. And I always like to see unmodified cars. Sounds like you got a clean one. Enjoy it!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:20 PM
The Enforcer

Well bought and looks clean. You've been reading on the forum for months, which is exactly what I did before purchasing my Lotus. This truly is a great forum with a lot of very knowledgeable people.

I'd probably just repair the bolster. Seat options are very limited, especially if you're looking for comfort. I changed my seats, but I doubt you'd like these, although they're a lot more comfortable than they look.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Welcome! I'm over on the Kitsap peninsula and have worked on these quite extensively. If you need any help, give me a PM. Judging from your screen name, I'm betting you already know the good roads, but if you haven't done it yet, drive the Elise on the Hood canal loop. It's amazing with the Elise.

Corvus

A Dirge for Her the Doulby Dead in that She Died So Young
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:32 AM
SOS

Welcome from Vancouver B.C. We should all do a NW meet this summer.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Garage
Welcome, looks great! Lots of good info and help in here. Yes, we need a meet soon.....

2012 Lotus Evora - IPS, Nightfall Blue
2011 Jaguar XF-R - 510hp
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland, Hemi (The Anti-Lotus)

Totalled: 2011 Lotus Evora 2+2 - Canyon Red Metallic
Sold: Saab 9-3C, MGB, Miata, Merc 560SEL, F-150, Civic, Saab 9-5SE, '05 Ford-GT, '69 Cad Sedan DeVille, Triumph Daytona 955i
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:11 AM

Sweet! Congrats on the car. Pretty good price!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:07 AM

Congrats on the purchase! Sos I agree we should do a NW meet.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM
glb

Congratulations! Looks terrific.

And....

Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Sector 111 long thru bolt that terminates under car: re-ENFORCER - Shift reinforcement for the Lotus Elise and Exige - Sector111

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 10 (or 20) minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
Cooling Ticking Timebomb, how is your Cooling U-tube?

9. Visit the Uber Thread

**Elise/Exige Uberpost READ THIS. Everything you need to know is in here**
-----

Plus:

How to Bleed Brakes

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

05 elise (PES chip, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 PM

Congrats on the car!

Another Seattle area owner here! Would be down for a drive!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 03:59 PM

Welcome!

40k isn't really high, you got an awesome deal on your Elise. Yes, there are actually quite a few PNW Elige owners scattered around. A lot of them are seasonal (myself included, sadly).
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:29 PM

Mine has been sitting in the garage since November :/ and too damn cold in Seattle to install the clam hinge!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWRider View Post
Hi everyone. Just purchased an 05 Saffron Yellow Elise out of northern California. She has 40k on the odometer and appears to be in excellent shape. Has the Touring and Sport packs and is unmolested and original. One owner and no accidents. Body is free of chips and nicks and the mechanicals appear to be in very good shape. Purchased it from the estate of a Lotus collector in NorCal. The only flaw is a worn bolster on the drivers seat so I have to decide whether to repair or replace the seat. I'd ideally like to find a more comfortable seat setup. Any ideas?

Price was 24k which I think is fair given the relatively high mileage. I think the color suits the Elise very well and I couldn't be happier.

I've learned so much by reading this forum over the past few months and I hope to give back over the coming years. Thanks to all who contribute.

Whooo hoo! Yellow looks great. Don't pull up too close behind cars at a light, they back into you since you are invisible to their rear view mirrors.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Less is Better

Wow, you got a great deal! Congratulations and welcome to Elise ownership in Seattle.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to all for the welcoming words and thoughtful advice.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 AM
V EQLS IR

holy crap, 24k for an unmodified car with sport and touring?! that seems like a crazy deal!

maybe just the time of year?

regardless, welcome

2006 Mag Blue / Biscuit Elise, Sport/Touring (Summer)
2005 BSP Scion tC (DD / winter beater)
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:23 AM
Less is Better

Are the wheels painted or powder coated? There's a legitimate reason to be concerned about powder coating forged wheels.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
Are the wheels painted or powder coated? There's a legitimate reason to be concerned about powder coating forged wheels.
I can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like paint. It's a real fine satin finish. I think that the early LSS silver wheels were anodized. Was a black LSS wheel an option in 05 and was it anodized also? I remember reading a thread on history of different sizes and finishes on that wheel but I can't find it now. I've also read the threads about the dangers if high temp powder coating forged wheels
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:27 PM

Lotus did offer black LSS wheels and I am pretty positive those are painted, if you remove the wheel and look at the back of the hub, you will see it's silver. You can also try to remove the center cap as well and look at the ridge. I have a set of base silver rims in my garage and those are horribly painted from the factory. You can see the black underneath the silver in between the spokes.

There were some cast anodized wheels that made it over to the US, they were off the Euro Exige and have a different spoke pattern. Those made it over because Lotus ran out of the LSS wheels in 2005 so they put the Euro Exige rims on some US Elises when the LSS package was ordered.

2005 Elise- Katana II S/C with other fun bits
2011 Evora NA - Daily Driver
2014 Acura MDX aka The Family Wagon

Last edited by Mobius97; 01-12-2017 at 01:36 PM.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:25 PM
SOS

My LSS wheels are a satin black and appear to be painted as I have a couple of small chips on a couple of the wheels and they look like regular old paint chips.

2008 Lotus Exige S 240
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.