New guy from Kansas - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
I have to agree with Me!. Pretty sound advice.

You could also try Me!'s strategy... Talk your old man into buying an Elise for himself, and then borrow it when you come home from college!
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #22 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
I have to agree with Me!. Pretty sound advice.

You could also try Me!'s strategy... Talk your old man into buying an Elise for himself, and then borrow it when you come home from college!
Hey you should be happy! I prevented you from getting a Boxter or M-Roadster!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

+1 from my experience. Where I went to school most everyone's car sat in open parking. Nice cars were occasionally keyed, some cars broken in to. For me it was way easier to have a junk car and not have to worry about piling friends in, parking in cramped parking lots on campus, moving all my stuff, etc. I also had a Ninja for getting around when the weather was nice. THAT was a great choice, as I could park it anywhere on campus and not worry about the meter maids.

You'll have to decide for yourself but I think it would be best to survey the situation at school first before pulling the trigger. You may find the extra cash is better suited for some combination of women, beer, spring break, and tuition.

PS If you're going to school in state I thought that area of the country absolutely sucked as far as driving during the winter. Further north it freezes for good and snow comes down, which the many trucks salt and scrape off the road. In Kansas, during the day it pops over freezing so anything snow will melt, and then at night everything freezes so driving is particularly dicey in the mornings and evenings. Not many trucks so ppl just have to drive around on it. Have a buddy/roommate that won't mind giving you a ride :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
Welcome!

My 2 cents:
1.) It is nice to finally see a young person try and buy a Lotus with their OWN money and not their parents!
2.) Sorry, but an Elise would be a TERRIBLE college car. I graduated almost two years ago and I am happy I never had a Lotus. They are too small and too fragile. I mean you can't take all your laundry home, your friends can't jump in your car to go places, etc... My biggest worry would be the parking situation. I mean lots of students can't park, and if they bump you, that could be a $5,000.00+ repair bill. Lets not forget jealousy and vandalism that could happen (especially drunk college students).

My advice is to wait... But then again maybe college has changed a bit in the past two years...

Either way good luck, and thanks for making said purchase with your own money that you earned yourself!!

Last edited by jds62f; 01-08-2013 at 07:44 AM.
jds62f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:56 AM   #24 (permalink)

My input to OP:
You sound very mature. I feel I was also mature in college. A lot of me regrets not getting my lotus while younger. But I also realize two things:

- I absolutely loved driving muscle cars for years when I was younger. Right now I feel I have run out of options except for the Lotus or a very expensive Japanese/German car (both of which would break the bank). Customized/clean muscle is great. Metaphor: I used to eat a lot of MacNCheese (ironically), now I like Sushi (pretentiously). I am proud of both.

- Like a previous post said: A lotus is very fragile so it will require some or all of the following. Previous experience in driving low cars. Learning from mistakes in previous cars. Being willing to drive a "more used" Lotus and taking the time (fun) to maintain it after each minor scratch.

I've met some very happy young owners...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #25 (permalink)
Bummed

Sorry to piss in the punch bowl, but an 18 year old kid working at a grocery store (for minimum wage most likely) can't afford this car.

You can't afford the maintenance and the insurance. That's just reality.

It will be the classic 'every nickel goes to car' thing.

There's a time and a place for everything. An 18 year old kid going into college? Not the time and place.

BTW - how come we've never seen threads like this before?
SwingLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #26 (permalink)

In my colledge days I bought a fully restored Triumph TR4. It was a great experience but lacked the room for friends as mentioned. A Lotus will be more fragile and would not recommend it. But a fun car IS the way to go.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #27 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

It is also worth mentioning that tires (depending on compund and driving style) typically only last between 5,000 - 15,000 miles, so you will have to make sure things like tires, brakes, etc are taken into account...
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Bummed

Add other things too. For example, a radiator is $800 and is a clam off job.

Oil change at dealer north of $100

College and minimum wage don't work we'll

Best college car? Spend $12k on a jeep Jk

College age chicks love them. Top off warm weather fun and bulletproof

Spend the rest on beer
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #29 (permalink)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Never ever park your Lotus at school parking lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I live in KS as well and we both know how windy it can get. Most of the college students careless when they open the door.
If you at the end get the lotus. Save couple more thousand for a beater that you can drive to school. one little bump, you are screwed and ready to pay a couple thousand to fix.
mlo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyCaptain View Post
Btw, if you go the Elise route make sure you look into the MoMo edition. TRUST ME
Bahahahah, oh my god that was such a fun thread. =P
"MOMO" Edition Elise, What a Find! <--- there's a link if you'd like it Austin =D
Welcome Austin!

Being in college I would also suggest a beater DD and an Elise. Where I work I have a closed off garage with security and I still have my beater DD to drive =P couldn't imagine the paranoia I would have if I was in college just driving my Elise.

Quote:
Welcome!
1.) It is nice to finally see a young person try and buy a Lotus with their OWN money and not their parents!
Hey now, I bought mine at 21
I brought mine home from Houston and stopped by my parents house on the way home. My dad saw it, and 3 hours later he calls me saying he bought one from the local dealership...like son like father? lol

Ty

Last edited by TyMurray; 01-09-2013 at 01:00 PM.
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

I have to say, some of these answers weren't exactly what I wanted to hear, but I think they were what I needed to hear. This whole time me making it to 25k was going to be a stretch. I was probably going to have to rely on my dad a little bit to make it that last extra bit. I wouldn't say you guys talked me out of it, I would say you guys talked some sense in to me to realize that it wouldn't be good to get any of these 3 cars in college.

You guys are definitely right about what I was fearing, damage at college. Funny story, I was actually driving over to my dads house today and next to me my friend pulls up in his new car. He got a 2007 Acura tl type s, but he said he won't be taking it to college because of stuff like that. He said while he was there, his old car was just sitting on the street and someone just smacked the passenger mirror right off the car. I was just crazy that one of my college friends that I saw today said the same exact thing.

I had my dad read this thread also just to see what he thought, and he definitely agrees with what you guys are saying. Damage without a doubt and getting the money would be very hard to reach. And even if I was able to get the money, it would be horrible being so paranoid about the car, and I know something would happen to it. And like swinglo said, I would literally be saving every penny possible. And that sucks cause then you just can't have any fun at all.

So then I suggested to my dad that I want to get another 05-07 mustang gt, or an 05-06 gto for around 13k. That should be right around what I can get for my car. And then I want to add a supercharger with the rest of my money that I have saved to either of those cars. The only thing that sucks about both of those cars, is that I've actually owned both of those, and I sold them.... I liked the mustang gt a lot more than the gto though, even with less power.

That would be a much more reachable goal, more fun with the sc, more reasonable, cheaper... Dad is on board already. His first response was, you know, I've always wanted to supercharge an ls2... But I love the mustangs a lot more...

So what do you guys think about the new idea? And would there be any other v8, or v6 turbo rwd cars that you guys would recommend in the 12-15k price range? I would only like to spend around that much so I have some extra money for some mods!!
Invert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

Here's the 2005 mustang gt I had. White with red leather, fully optioned, black everything but wheels... Should've never sold it!

Heres the 2005 Pontiac GTO I had

And heres my current car. Its a 2008 dodge Caliber SRT-4. It's pretty fast, makes about 360hp, but its fwd so that power is basically useless unless you are going faster than 80 which really sucks

Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Me!
7 lbs/hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMurray View Post

Hey now, I bought mine at 21
I brought mine home from Houston and stopped by my parents house on the way home. My dad saw it, and 3 hours later he calls me saying he bought one from the local dealership...like son like father? lol

Ty
Hey I bought my Exige when a year ago... I was 24! I had already talked my dad in buying an Elise 4 years prior lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
I have to say, some of these answers weren't exactly what I wanted to hear, but I think they were what I needed to hear. This whole time me making it to 25k was going to be a stretch. I was probably going to have to rely on my dad a little bit to make it that last extra bit. I wouldn't say you guys talked me out of it, I would say you guys talked some sense in to me to realize that it wouldn't be good to get any of these 3 cars in college.

You guys are definitely right about what I was fearing, damage at college. Funny story, I was actually driving over to my dads house today and next to me my friend pulls up in his new car. He got a 2007 Acura tl type s, but he said he won't be taking it to college because of stuff like that. He said while he was there, his old car was just sitting on the street and someone just smacked the passenger mirror right off the car. I was just crazy that one of my college friends that I saw today said the same exact thing.

I had my dad read this thread also just to see what he thought, and he definitely agrees with what you guys are saying. Damage without a doubt and getting the money would be very hard to reach. And even if I was able to get the money, it would be horrible being so paranoid about the car, and I know something would happen to it. And like swinglo said, I would literally be saving every penny possible. And that sucks cause then you just can't have any fun at all.

So then I suggested to my dad that I want to get another 05-07 mustang gt, or an 05-06 gto for around 13k. That should be right around what I can get for my car. And then I want to add a supercharger with the rest of my money that I have saved to either of those cars. The only thing that sucks about both of those cars, is that I've actually owned both of those, and I sold them.... I liked the mustang gt a lot more than the gto though, even with less power.

That would be a much more reachable goal, more fun with the sc, more reasonable, cheaper... Dad is on board already. His first response was, you know, I've always wanted to supercharge an ls2... But I love the mustangs a lot more...

So what do you guys think about the new idea? And would there be any other v8, or v6 turbo rwd cars that you guys would recommend in the 12-15k price range? I would only like to spend around that much so I have some extra money for some mods!!
Good call! My opinion is buy whichever car you want, but don't mod it and save your money. As soon as you get out of college you hopefully get a good job and have enough saved cash to join us!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
Closer than you think

Garage
Yeah, good call. Finish college, then buy a Lotus and a cheap but reliable DD. Meanwhile, we'll keep the Lotus' seats warm for you. When you're ready there should be a bunch of people here to help you make your next moves.

I remember loaning the Elise to my son for a weekend when he was a senior at college. (Sort of an early graduation gift.) I was not worried that he would wreck the car, but I was paranoid that some D-bag, drunk college kid would vandalize it - even though he was very careful where he parked. Fortunately all went well - (except for those brake pads that were worn down to nothing when I got the car back...)

We have quite a few Lotus drives in our region (Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin). These are great fun and you get to meet other Lotus enthusiasts of all stripes. (And now I even get to drive in the dust of my son's Exige!) Chances are that if you make some friends on the board you can invite yourself to ride/drive along from time to time with any groups in your area too. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #35 (permalink)

Another suggestion is to get an MR2. You can get the experience an not worry about dings or damage. Then get the Lotus when you graduate.

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post

Honestly its for the best. I will tell you now, you would have been devastated when you walked outside and found something smashed. I remember the day I walked out to my lotus after taking it to the grocery store real quick because my girlfriend asked me to grab something when I was out on a spirited drive. Someone had keyed a good 1 1/2 ft long stripe on the rear clam (right across the lotus lettering)...I still blame her for it every day

Get an 06' GTO and twin turbo it =D there's a few guys here in Dallas with this setup

Personally I would pick a LS engine over any of Ford's engines, just because I've built/helped build multiple LS builds in FD/FC Rx7s, Miatas, GTO, Camaro, even a 240sx =P and they always have performed very nicely...
TyMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

What do you guys think about me getting something like an 05-06 Subaru WRX STi instead? Do you guys think that would be good for college? Do you think it would be a higher attention car? ( as in bad attention like an elise would draw )
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #38 (permalink)

WRX is nice. Gearheads would get as jealous for that Subaru (as anyone for an Elise). You are all over the map with what you want to drive...so yeah you should stick to fun used (muscle or WRX) and change cars whenever you need!

By the way: What do you want to do with your car? Have you seen the last generation of MR2s?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Bummed

Quote:
Hey you should be happy! I prevented you from getting a Boxter or M-Roadster!
Hey stop it you two. People are gonna think you are related or something!

BTW, your bro get his McLaren yet? Figured Jon would want to trade up the new Spyder.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Bummed

For a kid who just grew hair on his nutz, you've sure had some nice cars!

Seriously, you should thank your stars (or your pops) for that. Most kids your age - who have been driving 2 years - would never had a Mustang or a car that makes 360hp. Most of us drove beaters.

I would say one of two options:

- Keep the car you have - it makes nice power, is perfectly reliable and can hold lots of coeds.

- Sell it and get a Jeep.

Seriously, is there a better college car than a Jeep? No need for a JKU - just get a newish JK X. Cloth interior, removable top. Reliable and about as cool as you are going to get for the money. It's not 'go fast', but you don't need 'go fast' when you are in college. If you are indeed staying on campus, your car will quickly become an afterthought. Your time will be consumed with studying, work (if you keep working) and most importantly - drinking beer and chasing tail. Do that. Worry about fast cars later. Hell, most kids don't even drive their cars all that much at school.

Get the Jeep and when it gets to be 55 degrees, top down and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here