NOT SURE WHICH VARIANT I WANT - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

NOT SURE WHICH VARIANT I WANT

Good morning to everyone.
Newby here from San Diego.
I've been a lurker here for a little bit now, I've been reading threads/posts and deciding which year Exige/Elise should I get. The more I log in to the site the more I want an Exige/Elise like yesterday. Some members here are going turbo, TVS superchargers, and even swapping a K20/K24 into the car. I'm budgeting between 30-40k. 300HP would be a nice target. Car will be a weekend car with occasional track days. I will continue reading but pls convince which model/YEAR should i get. I read 2007 are made better than the earlier ones?
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

You need butt time for convincing. Good luck!
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hehehehe, o i"m convinced on getting a Exige/Elise i just dont know which year. Not looking into the newer as they are way out of the budget.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Isuggest finding the car with the color you want, the options you want, and the upgrades you want. Don't worry about the year!

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

(I'm reacting to your screen name)
WILL.I.AM
RENDERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENDERMAN View Post
(I'm reacting to your screen name)
Bonus points.
Plackslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
As a personal pet peeve, I'd drive an Elige at 8/10+ before saying you want 300hp+. It's not like a mustang where you need the power to do anything.

As for your question, it depends on what you're wanting. '05 Elises are the most common to come by and have a few quirks, but have numerous 'community fixes' for anything that may come up.
keatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

sturgeongeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeongeneral View Post
Isuggest finding the car with the color you want, the options you want, and the upgrades you want. Don't worry about the year!
All Exige/Elise colors are all nice to me.
I know a little about the cars so I'm reading as much as I can.
AROUND 300Hp is my target. I'M Looking for that $30-40K variant that will take me there with less mod. OEM N/A or Blown engine is okay also so that i can swap in a K20/K24 but, as long as i can find a friendly smog tech in my area. I'm not sure if the oem supercharger can take the car to AROUND 300HP level with other mods.

N/A going turbo
Supercharged add some bolt on
Blown engine going K20/K24

Tracked package is a must.

My POPCORN name has a little story in the Mini Cooper forum so i thought i use that name here also.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keatre View Post
As a personal pet peeve, I'd drive an Elige at 8/10+ before saying you want 300hp+. It's not like a mustang where you need the power to do anything.

As for your question, it depends on what you're wanting. '05 Elises are the most common to come by and have a few quirks, but have numerous 'community fixes' for anything that may come up.

I noticed that Elise are the ones that keeps coming up.
Can an Elise turned into looking like an Exige? If i get an Elise I want to make it look like an Exige.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Uhh - you can, but then why did you buy an Elise? If you want an Exige, they can be had for around $40k at the moment, but the price is continuing to rise.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

2007 Lotus Exige S. It's supercharged and has 220 hp stock. You can get a koldfire 300 tune and get it up to 300 horsepower. Lotus prices generally fluctuate seasonally with prices dropping a bit in the fall and winter. Prices lately for a 2007 Lotus Exige S have been 37k-45k. If you lurk enough this winter you can probably fine at least 6-10 (hopefully) to choose from and most will be very nice very low mileage 07 Exige's and will be priced around 34k-42k, then send your ecu in and get it tuned for like another thousand or so and wala, 300 hp.
Retsillacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

I dont have an Elise. If I end up with an Elise its because of low price and use the remaining $$$ to make it look like an Exige.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retsillacm View Post
2007 Lotus Exige S. It's supercharged and has 220 hp stock. You can get a koldfire 300 tune and get it up to 300 horsepower. Lotus prices generally fluctuate seasonally with prices dropping a bit in the fall and winter. Prices lately for a 2007 Lotus Exige S have been 37k-45k. If you lurk enough this winter you can probably fine a very nice very low mileage 07 exige s for 34k-40k, then send your ecu in and get it tuned for like another thousand or so and wala, 300 hp.

^ This is what I'm looking for convincing

Like I said I dont know anything about the these cars thats is why I'm asking.
Ok let me do some searching on this Koldfire 300.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

ok read about koldfire 300, checked.

If i buy use, what are some of the must have and things i should keep in mind when inspecting a used Exige?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

Do the tracked package has it all? i.e., suspension, brakes, lsd and better equipped?
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
LotusTalk - Uberpost

Read this post pretty religiously as it'll answer most of the 'FAQ' that may annoy other users and return more...snarky...comments.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm actually relieved to see this thread. Let me explain: it means that all car forums are the same--no matter what the vehicle(s). This sort of thread happens in every forum in which I've ever been involved (newb wants this or that, newb wants "help" deciding, newb says he knows nothing about the cars but is certain he wants to slap a turbo/super charger on it or some other big mod, newb asks what would be involved in aforementioned mods, newb wonders if he can make one car look like another...). Yep. Every forum I've been to in my life has threads like this at least once every 3 months. And that covers a lot of years. *sigh of relief*

Hmmm. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be relieved.

Last edited by RMurphy; 11-13-2012 at 09:55 AM. Reason: correct grammar for clarity; explain the actual intent less cryptically -- in other words, to write it better.
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

^ thanks for this link.
oh wow.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

I would probably drive, and track, a stock Elise or Exige first.
300HP in one of these cars will get you killed, or the car totaled, without experience. This ain't a mini or mustang. Due to their light weight, and many other factors, you better be careful.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Next week there is going to be a EURO MEET here in San Diego and I hope theres plenty Lotus. I might have to ask lots of Q to Exige owners on what they love and hate about their car.

I read on the link above about "DONT HANG ON THE WINDSHIELD" Is the car fragile everywhere? I will read further and hopefully I will discover what year Exige is a better build. If the car is like 10k i wouldn't investigate that hard, but, its a high cost vehicle so I want to buy and not regret.

I currently own a Mini Cooper which is a keeper and so far its been good to me. Will I recommend a Mini Cooper to my family and most likely no. All cars have their own pros and cons and I understand that. I will read and read until i get a headache and just say F*** *t I'm buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here