NOT SURE WHICH VARIANT I WANT - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #21 (permalink)

Surge,

I will keep that in mind.
I also own a MR2 turbo with a 3rd gen JDM engine and love the feeling of the power at hand when needed. In the past a 1991 300zx twin turbo was in my possession. 300HP is such a nice power for me.

I'm not crazy over racing on the road. I love cruising speed and when the road is open i like to bury my foot on the pedal for a few seconds.
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 AM   #22 (permalink)

05-06 Exige's aren't supercharged from the factory so those won't interest you, they had the exact same horsepower as the Elise. 07 came supercharged from the factory with 220 hp. In 08 they introduced the Exige S240 and eventually the Exige S260 but you will spend $10,000-$25,000 more for this, I've not really seen any 08+ Exiges for less than $50,000. It's not worth it at all in my opinion. Since you plan to do upgrades to your own car anyways and you are budgeting for under 40k your best bet is 07 Exige S because this way you will have to do the least amount of work for the least amount of money. I don't have all the technical differences between an 07 Exige and Elise's, I'm not really mechanically inclined, more of a car enthusiast. I don't even have a Lotus yet lol. If you're willing to wait a few months, spend a lot of time lurking and waiting for a low to mid-priced Exige, jump on it on time, and most likely you will need to travel to get it unless you live in California or somewhere with a high volume of them such as living near a Lotus dealer that has been importing and selling them used. I live near Portland Oregon and I see a Lotus about once every 1-2 months because the Lotus dealer has been buying them then reselling for years. I'm planning on having to travel for mine though, since I'm very particular. I'm not even in the market yet, but I will be in a few months. I'll be on the look out for an Ardent Red or Chrome Orange 07 Exige S in excellent condition, and mostly stock for $37,000-$43,000. So, once I am in the market I may have to wait for several months to find just the right one and get ahead on other people's bidding. I've been saving now for almost a year and I'm looking forward to the first time I sit in my brand new Exige..

People are just saying that these cars are very easy to total. You can basically hit a curb wrong and total this car (Not joking). This car goes exactly where you tell it to go, although I've never actually driven one, just ridden in one. So I can't really talk about what the handling is like lol. This car is very small and low to the ground so you always have to be aware of your surroundings. A huge lifted pick up could easily look to his left and not see you, and run you over when changing lanes. I can't tell you how many posts I've seen on this forum about people's Lotus's getting smashed into because people didn't see it. Also you have to be careful about where you park the car because it attracts a lot of attention. There's just a lot of things that can go wrong if you aren't careful enough. You can park the car all the way on the other end of the parking lot all alone, and come back 15 minutes later and their will be cars parked right next to it with all other spaces being empty all around. I have no idea why people do that...
Also you may want to get insurance quotes on the cars you're considering. I'm a 21 year old with a perfect driving record and most insurance companies quoted me $500+ a month for full coverage on an 07 exige. But Geico quoted me for $160. That's another thing to consider looking at if you haven't already.

Last edited by Retsillacm; 11-13-2012 at 02:00 AM.
Retsillacm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #23 (permalink)

Don't be married to a requirement of finding a car with the track pack. Yes, they're out there, but a standard Elise will feel closer to a go kart than anything else you've ever driven. If you don't actually plan to make your car a full time track rat, I would recommend NOT getting the track pack. It'll make your longer drives more comfortable. And by comfortable, I mean feeling like a Porsche GT3 where the shocks are replaced by steel rods.
Jack FFR1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #24 (permalink)

Garage
And please, PLEASE understand HP is not a requirement with these cars. I've seen a stock 05 Elise run laps around a Z06 at my local track. Learn to drive the car to the limits safely, then add HP if needed.

But then if you're just wanting to have d--k measuring contest with others, this might not be the right car for you.
keatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Retsicllacm,

Your opinion was nicely put together.
You just narrowed down what year Exige I'm going to look for. The year price is within the budget and its supercharged already. Just to open up my option, do you guys think that there are 06 Exige N/A out there that is about 5-8k less than an 07 Exige? TVS supercharger is a better forced induction for that 8k.

JackFFR1846,
Is track pack that horrible in suspension? I've set my Mini Cooper S and MR2 to the stiffest setting and its still ok for long driving. If that is the case i might have to drive in a track pack first.

Keatre,
Purchasing the car is not for organ measuring . One thing I learned is that if you piss someone while driving the next time you park its either you have a scratch or flat tire.

Overall experience in general is that once you get bitten by the "MOD BUG YOU GET ADDICTED".
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #26 (permalink)

Garage
If you can find an un-bastardized '06 Exige, it'll be around 36-40k right now.
keatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

Does anybody knows which supercharger comes with the 2007 Exige? I read somewhere here about a guy asking for info about supercharger removal. He mentioned about M45 supercharger. Is the Exige the same M45 supercharger?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Found it, its M62 supercharger.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #29 (permalink)

Peeps,

What are the differences between the Elise and Exige on the exterior? Some obvious one i noticed are the engine cover, spoiler, side scoop and the targa top scoop. Any other differences? What about the interior?
Old 11-21-2012, 01:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Is it delicate? Compared to your Mini and most other cars on the road, yes. The car shakes and rattles when you drive it on anything but perfectly smooth tarmac. Potholes (which there are a lot of up here in LA) can ruin wheels and bend suspension parts quite easily. Small fender benders that would result in a bumper cover replacement on your Mini, they can cost up to $10k easily to fix on a Lotus and can total the car. Insurance companies don't want to deal with them so they just total them out when they are damaged. Oh, and because they just total them out, you can expect to pay VERY high insurance prices.

Have you driven -any- Lotus Elise/Exiges yet? If not, I suggest you do. The suspension will be MUCH stiffer than anything you've experienced aside from a properly set-up race car. The thing bangs over small imperfections on surface streets. And my Exige literally hops off the ground when riding over the pavement seams on the 405. \

And like everyone else said, stop focusing on the 300hp goal. It doesn't mean much with this car. The power to weight and set-up of this car at 2k lbs/200hp feels like 350hp in most other cars. My old Evo VIII was moderately modified. This car kicks it's butt with about half the hp!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #31 (permalink)

Chimp,

Thanks for your information.

I did drive an Elise when i went to the Euro meet last week. It was a short drive and the power feel is great. I will look for an 07 Exige S and progressively mod it with easy bolt on and ecu flashed at first until the bottom end gives up.

I've been reading a lot about this car and information you just gave me helps a lot. Reading members opinion on their information is golden. I read about what works and whats not.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
Chimp,

I did drive an Elise when i went to the Euro meet last week. It was a short drive and the power feel is great.
Hey popcorn,
we can make it a longer drive next time, just need to schedule it. would love to check out your MR2 also..
been planning to do the Otay loop.

nice meeting you at the euro meet.
rsamani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

rsamani,

Hey thanks for the ride last week. MR2 is currently inwork for ground effects. Mini Cooper will be ready will be ready in about a weeks for a drive. Hit me up sometime.

Pcorn
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Can an Elise turned into looking like an Exige? If i get an Elise I want to make it look like an Exige.
theoretically, yes.
a few people have done it, as well as changed the front to look more like 2010-11 models.
However, the pre-requesite for doing so usually consists of spinning out on the highway or track and damaging the original front and rear clams, therefore needing repair/replacement (someones covered by insurance).

Otherwise, it's not quite worth it.
put the $ towards all the other mods you'd wanna do.
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
Gizmo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo3000 View Post
theoretically, yes.
a few people have done it, as well as changed the front to look more like 2010-11 models.
However, the pre-requesite for doing so usually consists of spinning out on the highway or track and damaging the original front and rear clams, therefore needing repair/replacement (someones covered by insurance).

Otherwise, it's not quite worth it.
put the $ towards all the other mods you'd wanna do.

I guess the pre-req is not going to happen here. I made a solid decision that Exige is the car I'm going to buy.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMurphy View Post
I'm actually relieved to see this thread. Let me explain: it means that all car forums are the same--no matter what the vehicle(s). This sort of thread happens in every forum in which I've ever been involved (newb wants this or that, newb wants "help" deciding, newb says he knows nothing about the cars but is certain he wants to slap a turbo/super charger on it or some other big mod, newb asks what would be involved in aforementioned mods, newb wonders if he can make one car look like another...). Yep. Every forum I've been to in my life has threads like this at least once every 3 months. And that covers a lot of years. *sigh of relief*

Hmmm. On second thought, maybe I shouldn't be relieved.

Permanent solution for you is to stir clear from the newb thread/post.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #37 (permalink)

Disagree that insurance will be higher... My 09 Elise SC has the same insurance cost as my $40K family hatchback. Shop around if you need to. Maybe the Exige is a lot worse, don't know...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #38 (permalink)

For 2007 Exige S with my multiple car discount it will be $86.00/month on insurance. Dont know if that is a good quote. This is with USAA. How much do you pay?
Old 11-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Permanent solution for you is to stir clear from the newb thread/post.
And miss out on all the learning opportunities as well as reasons to smile at life's ironies? Not a chance. Good luck on your decision.
2005 Lotus Elise
RMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #40 (permalink)
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

they are all the same car dude. I know that sounds absurd, but it's truer than you might think. I'd buy a solid used car, and throw in a clutch, toe links, and a REV 300 TVS sc, way different than just a tune added to enhance that stock mp62 blower.
Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
komiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here