Talk me down - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Here to learn

Talk me down

Dateline, Nashville, TN.

Driven an Evora 400 twice now while cross shopping various Porsches and the C7 GS.

I went to our local dealer to look at a 997 C2S and ended up driving the 400. I can't shake that out of my head. I thought I was hot for a 997 Turbo, but haven't been able to drive one so I've been driving late 997 C2S and C4S models to try and get a feel for the platform. I've also driven a 991 Carrera 2 and a couple of C7s (Grand Sport) which appeal to me. Obviously, none of those do exactly what the Evora does. My wife, who likes to drive tried the 400 today and I drove it for a second time. We both agree it made the Porsches, including a Cayman appear less interesting and special. Despite the obvious differences in trims and finishes that favor the Porsches, the actual driving experience puts the Carreras on the trailer as far as I can resolve it. In fact, I consider the Corvette GS a better, more fun drive than the Porsches I've tried and it's got a certain sensibility as these things go. On the other hand, I'm nursing feelings that I could end up with an expensive orphan if things went sideways. Or at least, a car that is difficult to keep and to sell. On the other other hand, what a great car.

I have routinely kept cars I like for ten years, or longer, sometimes much longer.

I ride Ducati and BMW bikes. Not planning on tracking, just want the best road car I can manage with a full helping of reliability and passable comfort. The performance and the drive has me dancing. It's just the practical side of buying a new Lotus that has my attention.

Last edited by lotusquacious; 05-27-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 04:58 PM

Garage
You are obviously intelligent, sensitive, educated, and probably attractive to women. And not afraid to stand out in the crowd.

Nice appraisal of a great car.

If more people would drive these, a lot more would be sold. Thanks you for being open to better things.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, Trim Shop interior, full cage, Cup wheels, BWR 'charger lives!
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery (Doc Jay has her)
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2008 Audi A4, 2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 Nissan 370Z Nismo
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:14 PM
ksm

What is practicality in the face of a giant grin?

'05. Eyes up.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:17 PM

Which one will you still love in ten years? Follow your heart!

In 2006, I considered the Cayman and the Exige. My P-Car conclusions were similar to yours, but the Exige was such a visceral experience. I bought the Exige, still have it, and have no regrets. It remains just as visceral of an experience 11 years later. I can buy a used Cayman, if needed.

2006 Exige - Phantom Black
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 05:24 PM

I've driven many cars and I have had an Elise SC since 2011 -- I love it as much as the day I bought it. And even 6 years later, it still gets ogled everywhere. I test drove the Evora 400 twice and became obsessed as well. In March, I bought one from my friends at Autosports Designs on Long Island (ask for Hugh Angle). It's being built as we speak. Can't wait for it to arrive. I think Lotus is simply the best driver's car -- completely connects the driver to the road like nothing else.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Here to learn

Talk me down

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHILR8N! View Post
You are obviously intelligent, sensitive, educated, and probably attractive to women. And not afraid to stand out in the crowd.

Nice appraisal of a great car.

If more people would drive these, a lot more would be sold. Thanks you for being open to better things.
It's going to be very hard to resist this urge. The Evora has become the standard for pleasure in this exercise.

Thank you for sizing me up astutely as well although I'm teetering on the brink of madness, and that may put some women off. But to misquote another crazy man, there's a joy in madness sane men will never understand.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Here to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksm View Post
What is practicality in the face of a giant grin?
Big grins are good! I'm trying to appear rational and make an attempt at due diligence but I am getting the sense an Evora is not about due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusmotion View Post
Which one will you still love in ten years? Follow your heart!

In 2006, I considered the Cayman and the Exige. My P-Car conclusions were similar to yours, but the Exige was such a visceral experience. I bought the Exige, still have it, and have no regrets. It remains just as visceral of an experience 11 years later. I can buy a used Cayman, if needed.
Yeah, used Caymans are a dime a dozen! I've done the math on those and it doesn't add up for me. If I went for a Cayman S I'd rue that I didn't get a 911. If I got a 911, I'd be questioning why I didn't get the Evora. I still have to rule out the Grand Sport and will work on that. But, as much as I was surprised by how fun the Vette was, nothing has harmonized for me like the Lotus. You all know this already. I have to come to terms with it for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWex View Post
I've driven many cars and I have had an Elise SC since 2011 -- I love it as much as the day I bought it. And even 6 years later, it still gets ogled everywhere. I test drove the Evora 400 twice and became obsessed as well. In March, I bought one from my friends at Autosports Designs on Long Island (ask for Hugh Angle). It's being built as we speak. Can't wait for it to arrive. I think Lotus is simply the best driver's car -- completely connects the driver to the road like nothing else.
How did you order your car? It seems to me it's hard to get the basics wrong. I keep gong back to Lotus' modest 'build one' page and it seems like there isn't much to decide. Forged black wheels, check. Color? Something garish seems on point. I like black pack with orange which is good because that's what they have. I can buy it off the floor as long as I don't mind buying their demo. Which I think I'm OK with, although realistically it is their demo. I see pictures of the car in monotones and think there is something good to say about a solid color as it seems to soften the lines and make them less exaggerated. But orange and black? I keep surprising myself because I'm cool with it. A colorful car would be a welcomed break from the oppressive uniformity of black, white and gray.

Any input on upholstery is helpful. I don't have any experience with Alcantera, which is how the car I'm looking at is clad. If I had my druthers and for the same outlay, I'd go with full leather. Since I haven't moved on the car yet, I suppose I still could. There's a choice of exactly one vehicle locally with a stick which is a non negotiable requirement for me. I suppose I could order a car and wait it out. Otherwise, the car I drove would suit. I don't know why there are so many Alcantera cars. It seems to my naive mind that leather would be more durable and synthetics are all just synthetics, (Alcantera or regular cloth). But I don't know squat about Alcantera. The extra expense for the Alcantera package has me wondering if I care or if I should try and find a car spec'd exactly as I want it or buy a standard interior and save the money. My inclination is towards leather. Discuss!

I would like to buy locally, but I'm (sorta) open to all options. I suppose that's a conversation to have with the local guys. However, any input on this specific (fabrics), or optioning in general is much appreciated. As I see it, the car is pretty complete as is. The two things I know I would regret not getting apart from a manual are the right interior and forged wheels.

I'm shocked I've gotten this far given I started out thinking I was going to buy my first Porsche. I guess they make lots of sense for some folks but they don't light my fire and even my wife was nonplussed by them. The Evora though is car crack.

Edited: I refer to my (current) ad lib screen name which is hopefully identifiable as a germane play on loquacious. I can run on. You guys can call me Lew. Maybe Lewquacious would have been a better choice for a name here but it's a bit late now.

Last edited by lotusquacious; 05-27-2017 at 10:28 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:49 PM

The guys at Autosport Design have a list of the options available in the US. Not too many. It's helpful to see them all in one place. I went with the manual. The automatic was pretty cool, but I am finicky about the computer sometimes getting confused for a split second on downshifts. That used to happen with the BMW M3 DCT and it drove me nuts. Plus, the manual comes with the limited slip differential. I went with Alcantera - I never had a car with Alcantera before but I looked at it and it was really nice and the dealer recommended it. I did a little research and it seems like that synthetic material wears well. May be tougher to clean, but I figure Ill give it a shot. I have the leather package in my Elise SC. Car is so beautiful, it's hard to go wrong with choices. Probably best to pick what you really like....
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Here to learn

Thanks for that. Some concern about how Alcantera wears down the road is all. If it's durable is the main question. I'm not worried about stains. I don't 'drink and drive' or eat in my car. They didn't add the cup holder for me.

In my view sports car is about maximum involvement. I don't care if the thing shifts faster than I can or if the C7 will accelerate harder. The 400 seems fast enough for me as is. You did what I would do with any of the cars on my list. Buy the stick.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 09:46 AM

Garage
Gooble gobble, we accept you, one of us, one of us!

I honestly don't understand why more people are not buying Lotus cars. For me, it is just ... the way a car should be designed--light weight and a true joy to drive. I do realize others value gizmos and features over the driving experience, clearly the sales numbers reflect that. Yet, if you're "one of us", you get it. Lotus gets it. The Evora 400 in particular, is arguably the best car Lotus has done in terms of the complete package, not just driving experience but fit and finish.

Do you value exclusivity? Here's the thing on the C7. It definitely has the performance, and for the money it's hard to beat. The Grand Sport is a killer package, probably what I would choose if picking a C7. I have much respect for the Vettes, and sometimes think that perhaps that is "the easy button". Good deal, good performance, good car, good choice. I have a problem with Vettes, though, illustrated by a recent back roads trip to no where (and I am planning another one today). The only Lotus I saw was mine. I saw at least 5 Corvettes. Really, same deal with the p-cars--see them all the time. You might think, "well this one is a Grand Sport or Z06 (or in the Porsche case, a turbo)..." but it basically looks just like the others. If you're driving an Evora 400, yes, you have a 400 and that sets you apart from the original and S models. I'm saying, though, it will be a rare occasion that you even see those other model Evoras. All of them are special! I bet there are <1000 per year sold in the US. Perhaps I am showing some vanity here, but driving is a passion for me, and I enjoy it even more in a car that is somewhat rare.

Now to the point about the "expensive orphan". When people talk exotics they don't really include the Lotus cars (I hear the term "semi exotic" thrown around). They aren't expensive enough, and what is that, a Camry motor? That sword cuts both ways, though. The tires on a Bugatti Veyron cost like $15K and have to be mounted in France or something. A transmission replacement is $120K. I am also a McLaren fan, but I don't even want to think about engine parts and service costs on their 3.8L V8. Contrast that with the Evora. Lotus can go belly up tomorrow, and you're still going to be able to get drive train parts from Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa, etc. I think it was so incredibly intelligent for them to partner with Toyota on the engines. Toyota motors are legendary for their reliability and low cost of ownership. Change the oil regularly and drive it 250K miles. With a huge grin on your face.

YES to the stick! I wouldn't worry about the alcantara being a problem. I've not had it in my own cars but everything I've read/heard is that it is superior to actual leather/suede. It feels like suede to me. If alcantara is on the car that is on the lot and you are otherwise happy with the car, tell them you don't want the alcantara and see if they will drop the price. Many times you can get the options for cheap if you don't actually want them and the car is already in inventory. Some dealers are having trouble moving Evoras and they may be willing to tempt you with a lower price to get that one off the lot rather than ship in another car.
lotusquacious likes this.

Last edited by Parko; 05-29-2017 at 09:55 AM.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 PM

Alcantara, aka rat fur. I have a lot of it in my Porsche. Looks pretty good to me, though I prefer leather. I went with leather steering wheel because my hands are a bit sweaty and the alcantara would not wear well on the steering wheel in that case. Wears fine so far on seat after 7k miles.

'05 Lotus Elise: RAC Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:30 AM
KCZ

Garage
I have both a Lotus and Porsche. Get the Lotus. There is no comparison.
VtotheJ and lotusquacious like this.

2011 Evora S 2+2 in Persian Blue with Oyster
2003 350Z, Track edition
2013 Boxster S 981
2014 Xterra, for 6 months of winter and mud season
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM

I had Alcantara in my Elise for 11 years, but only 22K miles. The leather on the seat edge wore a bit but not the Alcantara. I think it will last.

#14 Sport Elise
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM

As for practically...I bought an Elise 8 years ago and drive it every day, sun, rain or snow. I have over 100,000 miles on it.

When I bought it my wife was worried it would be a garage queen. Quite the opposite. I've driven it from Toronto to Seattle and Toronto to Florida and many other spots.

It has been as reliable as any other car I've ever driven.

I was a bit reluctant to get yellow. Originally I was hoping to get a white car. Anyways, yellow was a great choice. Don't be afraid to buy a bright color. You will receive tons of compliments.

Good luck.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM
eZg

Doesn't really seem like you are comparing apples to apples till you find a Turbo 911 to test drive.

Do you work on your own cars? If not, I would be concerned that Music City Motorcars has an experienced Lotus tech.

tough but fun decision!
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:18 PM

Garage
I will say my Evora was a garage queen for most of the 3 years I have owned it but since My Jeep was wrecked I have been daily driving it for the last month. Although I wish I didn't have to at the same time I love driving it so much. I take my grand kids in it we have a blast. I didn't think it would make a good DD but it's not bad. I do prefer something easier to get in and out of not only for me but for my passengers as well and I like to be able to carry things and its a pain but you do learn to deal with it. At 52 I prefer it to be a toy but it has worked fine till my Jeep is back on the road.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 02:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZg View Post
Doesn't really seem like you are comparing apples to apples till you find a Turbo 911 to test drive.

Do you work on your own cars? If not, I would be concerned that Music City Motorcars has an experienced Lotus tech.

tough but fun decision!

A turbo 911 is fun but it's still not a Lotus. When I first got my Lotus and was sad over all the little issues with it I went to trade it in on a 997 Turbo and even though the Turbo was FAST the car wasn't engaging is the best way I can explain it. I wanted so much to love that car (I have always been a Porsche guy) but in the end I couldn't trade my Evora in on it. Oh and I have a 2010 NA. You would think the pure speed would have sucked me in but it just wasn't as fun to drive. I have driven a lot of cars over the years and its tough to find many cars that are as much fun as a Lotus, still street legal @ 100k or less.
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 03:43 PM

At this price point I would make sure you have a place to service it for the foreseeable future.

Not to be a Debby Downer by any means, but these cars seem to require a bit of "settling" that is helped with dealer support.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 06:52 AM

As to the Porsche discussion, if you want something closer to the driving engagement a Lotus offers, the 911 Turbo etc are the wrong models to look at. You should be looking at cars from the GT / motorsports department IMO. 997 GT3, GT4, etc.

'05 Lotus Elise: RAC Monolites, Nitron Singles, Monoballs, V2 arms, RTD2 brace, Innovative motor mounts, V2 tank, GPan, Larini 8", TransCables, LumosHID, GiroDisc, Ferodo DS2500, etc.
'16 Porsche Cayman GT4
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM

A middle aged guy in a Porsche - just too cliche for me. From my experience, nothing is better than Lotus as a driver's car....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Hi, I'm new here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.